GOLFMKV

Catch can install, idles rough now?

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Had a longer post typed but decided TLDR, so:

Had a 42DD catch can installed the other day and noticed two things:

1) Sounds different at idle - noise comes out of the engine intake, can be stopped by pinching either of the hoses going to/from CC, sounds like it is idling a bit rough.

2) Pulling the oil dipstick on the engine does not effect idle. I very specifically remember it used to when I first purchased the car a few months ago and had no catch can. Uncovering CC dipstick hole causes noise to lessen/stop. Covering it again causes it to start again after a second or two.

Is the above normal? I've seen the thread about the rear breather with the valve in it, but AFAIK they haven't replaced it since I first pulled the oil dipstick while at idle a few months ago.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The noise you are hearing is the rear check valve through the intake. It's making a putting sound isn't it?

and as for the 2nd question I'm not sure. I'm running BSH comp catch can and I haven't bothered to pull the dip stick out and see what happens. Because the catch can/pcv solution is intended to remedy the issue that is identified by pulling the dip stick. I honestly wouldn't worry about that.

But define rough idle? do you have vag com? check for vac leaks. Those are going to be the common cause of a funky idle.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
No vag com. Thought about buying one shortly after I bought the car but never quite got around to it. Will have to see if I can bribe someone in my area with beer.

I guess it does kind of sound like a boat motor at idle, if that's the kind of putting you're talking about? Not sure what else really to describe it as.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks, that video wasnt making it through the firewall last time I saw the thread. Sounds some-what like mine; I'll give it another listen when I'm at home with proper speakers instead of this laptop junk.

Last edited:

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
OP did you find resolution on this? I also have no vac at the dipstick after installing my catch can. I did remove the rear pcv to stop the intake noise. But I thought there was supposed to be some vac at the dipstick. My fuel trims are high so Im trying to determine if I have a vac leak.

OP did you find resolution on this? I also have no vac at the dipstick after installing my catch can. I did remove the rear pcv to stop the intake noise. But I thought there was supposed to be some vac at the dipstick. My fuel trims are high so Im trying to determine if I have a vac leak.

The point of the PCV fix that a catch can provides is that you dont have a rough idle if the crank case is exposed to the atmosphere. Since there is no longer a path to the intake after the throttle body anymore, your idle does not change.