GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by IanCH

1. IanCH

PC Building

Yeah go b550, I went from pci3 to pci 4 on a Samsung 980 pro and didn't see any functional differences
  2. IanCH

PC Building

Do you do a lot of data transfer intensive tasks? Probably don't even need x570 if you don't. Overall the new strategy seems solid and you will get a much more capable overall system for it.
  3. IanCH

PC Building

So this ram is Hynix IC's based on my google-fu - meaning you're unlikely to get any amazing clocks and timings out of it. For fun, I would set it to: 3466mhz 1733 fclk 1.35v 1.05v vsoc 16-16-16-36 1T timing disable geardown Doubt you will see a difference in practice, it may be more stable...
  4. IanCH

PC Building

So, just a quick primer here because there is a lot of depth. (specific to AMD ryzen here) XMP is not a good feature to enable, it is a marketing feature that was created to allow RAM manufacturers to sell overclocked binned kits for more money. XMP has the ability to raise alternate voltages...
  5. IanCH

PC Building

So, as far as troubleshooting this issue, you're likely going to hit a dead end resulting from the inability to swap out parts (old platform) Your least expensive fix is to try out a $50 low profile GPU and see if that resolves the crashes. The I/O isnt super good on these but I assume you...
  6. IanCH

PC Building

Do you have a crappy video card you can test with? To eliminate the onboard graphics as the cause, your best bet would be to disable the onboard graphics in the bios after installing. I agree that for now your cooling and psu are not the issue
  7. IanCH

PC Building

Disable xmp first. Just to eliminate that as a potential source. You need to monitor your cpu temps and make sure you aren't having issues there. Lastly, you need to look in event viewer for any errors that happen around shutdown. Also, it's possible you are getting bsod, but the graphics...
  8. IanCH

PC Building

Hard to tell but if you're just getting hard reboots and it's not an oc problem then it's usually power related.
  9. IanCH

PC Building

Power supply is the next culprit. Usually I would just swap in a new one and try it, but you could check your voltages in HWinfo Then you try motherboard, but its not your ram.
  10. IanCH

PC Building

Well, a 3090 or 6900xt is 2k, if it has bonkers cooling. Almost nobody needs those cards just yet. A 6800xt is like a top of the line performance card that can run anything very well. They are 1400 for a red devil. The prices will go back down, but I think the realistic view is that if you can...
  11. IanCH

PC Building

They are making queues, but the prices are still pretty high. At micro center here in Boston, to buy a high end card, you have to show ID and you can only buy 1 graphics card per person every 3 months.
  12. IanCH

PC Building

EaseUS software will recover data off an SSD with this problem. I've used it successfully on a drive with the same problem.
  13. IanCH

PC Building

@golfdave If I'm not mistaken the ssd that failed was a long time ago? Like 3 or 4 years? The controllers on the SSD's used to be really shitty from a reliability standpoint. Typically the data can be recovered using the right software just on your home PC. But, that said, they have gotten much...
  14. IanCH

PC Building

Dude, windows is right to make you upgrade, that baby needs a full refresh :ROFLMAO: Just for reference, 80plus platinum is like the minimum standard of efficiency for a good PSU these days. (92% efficient) You would also likely cut your power consumption by over 100w with the newer hardware...
  15. IanCH

PC Building

You would probably be super well served by an upgrade! and you could do it without buying a graphics card. AMD's new integrated GPU CPU units are actually very legit. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYnGK3 This for instance would be a huge upgrade and very quick system these days. You could...