GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
So what's your solution for being able to see your desktop while gaming? basically just playing in windowed mode is the only way I know of.

Multiple monitors is a must have, I have 3 monitors. 2x 2560x1440 and 1x 2560x1080

View attachment 237790
I still have 2 monitors, it's just one of them is a 55" 4k tv and it's mounted on the wall next to my monitor.

1643842068467.png

1643841965283.png

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I agree that multi-monitor setups are the best, but I've used ultrawides for so long I'll always suggest that as a main monitor. Even if his question was what 3 monitors should I get I'd still say get 1 really good curved ultrawide and then 2 lesser spec monitors.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I'd love to do an ultrawide setup with something like an LG 34GP83A-B at eye level and then put my 27" normal 1440 above it.

Ultimately, "Best Monitor" is going to come down to what @SnailPower prioritizes. Having graphical fidelity and good HDR as a priority would require a different monitor than if you want to prioritize fast response times and high refresh rates.

I do think 1440@144Hz, whether ultrawide or standard resolution, is the sweet spot right now. From there it boils down to panel type/features and statistics.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'd love to do an ultrawide setup with something like an LG 34GP83A-B at eye level and then put my 27" normal 1440 above it.
And if you're spending 3090 money, might as well go big with your monitor and get something like that.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was primarily prioritizing gaming with the screen. Ideally I was going to go with a single monitor for now because of space issues in my confined apartment. Though I wouldn't mind a larger monitor than what I have now (24in), I also couldn't fit an Ultrawide.

So basically the best single monitor that can be found for gaming. I also agree. I think if I'm going 3090 for example, 4k should be a must at this point...

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was primarily prioritizing gaming with the screen. Ideally I was going to go with a single monitor for now because of space issues in my confined apartment. Though I wouldn't mind a larger monitor than what I have now (24in), I also couldn't fit an Ultrawide.

So basically the best single monitor that can be found for gaming. I also agree. I think if I'm going 3090 for example, 4k should be a must at this point...
So, it never seems that the brands and models of these monitor arms stay around so I havent used this specific model, but I get my monitors stacked vertically and its quite nice for having a stream or video window up on top.

My stand is like this one: https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTUP-Dual...c35a3&pd_rd_wg=ajkgO&pd_rd_i=B08612WQZT&psc=1

And I have my 3rd monitor on a single gas arm.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
like I said, crapto will continue to crash
You said that days before Biden announced an EO to launch a special council and investigate/regulate crypto. I don't think there's a person in the world who disagrees with you at this point.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
So, it never seems that the brands and models of these monitor arms stay around so I havent used this specific model, but I get my monitors stacked vertically and its quite nice for having a stream or video window up on top.

My stand is like this one: https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTUP-Dual...c35a3&pd_rd_wg=ajkgO&pd_rd_i=B08612WQZT&psc=1

And I have my 3rd monitor on a single gas arm.

Yeah, I have an arm like that one at work but I really don't have much room to work with in my apt. I'll eventually go that route when I move out of here because I prefer the clean look but it is what it is for now, lol. I'm thinking just to have 1 quality monitor for gaming and once I get out of here, I'll add on some other secondary monitor with a dual arm stand.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

I genuinely don't know - can the 3090 push a constant 144 hz at 4K resolution and Ultra settings?

I have an LG 27GL850-B and absolutely love it. They've revised it a few times so now the GP is the model out there, would be a great monitor. Compares nicely to the Strix XG27AQ which is rting's top pick for a 1440p144 gaming monitor.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I haven't really paid much attention to 4k monitors. I've been looking around a little bit and it seems like most of the ones I see are only 60hz. Saw a 1440p monitor with 240hz though. 200hz+ seems kinda crazy.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I haven't really paid much attention to 4k monitors. I've been looking around a little bit and it seems like most of the ones I see are only 60hz. Saw a 1440p monitor with 240hz though. 200hz+ seems kinda crazy.
My honest opinion is anything above 1080p for competitive gaming / fps is a meme. For everything else, anything above 2k is a meme. Maybe we can revisit that when the Nvidia 4xxx series drops... but I haven't seen anyone pushing 4k above 60fps anyway.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
I stay at 1080p. I have a few 4k tvs and I can't tell the difference.

720 is for plebes though absolutely

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

I can tell the difference between 4K and 1080p TVs if the content is actually, originally 4K. Upscales tend to blur the line and make it harder to tell.

Also easier to tell on monitors that are closer to your face holes.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

I've been content with 1080p for awhile and my 1070 has destroyed everything just about highest settings at 1080p on this aging build. Though I want the new bells and whistles that come with the newer cards and might as well go with higher res and features that technology has to offer now. I think at this point a solid upgrade would at least need to support 4k to be future proof.