GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
But people do want muscle cars, the mustang and Challenger still sell like crazy. I've never understood how/why the mustang sells so much better. I realize I might be biased as a Camaro owner, but I just don't get it. Looks are subjective, but I'll give the mustang the edge there and visibility in the mustang is better, but literally everything else about the Camaro has been better for years. Better chassis, better transmissions, better interior, etc. Plus the huge price difference - accounting for mark ups / discounts, my ZL1 was the same price as a well optioned mustang gt (I got quotes on both).
That's interesting. Personally, I like the look of the S550 Mustang more than the similar vintage Camaro, though the S650 IMO isn't nearly as attractive.

In my area, the Charger, Challenger, and Camaro are all over the place. There's still some Mustangs, but they're not nearly as common. I think the issue is that people prioritize having an SUV as their 'one' vehicle, and then if there's extra income available for more vehicles, a sedan/coupe/sportscar is kind of a status symbol. And even then, dual-income households seem to favor having two SUVs or an SUV and a truck.

I don't get it nor do I like it, but it seems to be the trend.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
The price of the R has still gone up like 10K, inflation adjusted. A 2013 R at its list price of $34K would be 44K today which is actually "the same" as current R MSRP. At the current ~52K MSRP price point that's S4 money. Throw in dealer markups and we're talking RS3 money. The pricing strategy just doesn't make a lot of sense to me with current dealer markups etc. Hell, even the Mk4 R32 would only be 48K in today's money and that was a limited-production model, not a regular part of the catalog. (Mk8 production rates aside)

EDIT: I'm a dummy and didn't fully realize that dtfd had priced out with every single option.

I do wish people would go back to mostly driving normal sized cars 80% of the time and maybe a truck or SUV for the 20% they actually need it, but I think we're trapped in a bit of a spiral until regulators step in to rein in truck/suv designs. Pedestrian fatalities are rising and the pickups in particular are getting ridiculous. No idea if it's real or not but I saw a graphic that showed how visibility is better out of an M1 Abrams than it is out of a modern pickup.

Last edited:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Currently dealing with someone on the book of faces from Florida who thinks the Canadian wildfires were US govt started to poison us.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I think one of my buddies is doing Lemons

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I hear more mustangs than I see them. Anytime you hear an obnoxiously loud V8 flying down the road 95% of the time it's a mustang. I see way more challengers and corvettes, and only very few chargers. Camaros are actually kinda uncommon. I hardly ever see any of those other cars as modified or as loud or being driven as hard as how mustang owners drive.

I was driving behind a mustang with an exhaust that was way too loud a few weeks ago. He was stopped at a red light in the middle lane. There was a SUV in the left lane and a van in the right lane, so I got behind him thinking I'd able to get in front of the van once we started to move. This dude was matching the speed of the van next to him though, and this was one of the old 90s vans that aren't gonna go fucking anywhere no matter how hard they try. His exhaust was so fucking loud, especially for the speed he was going, that I started cracking up and shaking my head. I just wish he could have known how hard I was laughing at him.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Same. Way easier said than done sadly. There's significant costs involved and finding people who have both the time and money is hard.
Champcar is a way better waste of time and money than LeMons.

AER/WRL even more so if you have slightly deeper pockets.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I do wish people would go back to mostly driving normal sized cars 80% of the time and maybe a truck or SUV for the 20% they actually need it, but I think we're trapped in a bit of a spiral until regulators step in to rein in truck/suv designs. Pedestrian fatalities are rising and the pickups in particular are getting ridiculous. No idea if it's real or not but I saw a graphic that showed how visibility is better out of an M1 Abrams than it is out of a modern pickup.
The pedestrian safety thing is nuts. Our trucks would be illegal in the EU. And the fuel economy standards are really dumb. Literally a double standard. It doesn't matter if a truck never gets used as a truck (most don't) and is effectively the new Toyota Camry, it gets the lower mpg target. And all the useless third rows in small SUVs? They're only there to allow the fwd versions to count as trucks.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I realized I have become that which I have always hated. I personally have 4 things titled to me. a125 scooter, a moto, a golf and a suv

That's not bad really. I have 3. Honda Pilot, Prelude and the GTI. All paid for and...old.