GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
When someone goes from a Stg1 manual to DTR, please PM how it feels, lol. Pros and Cons.

With so many pages and a foreseeable many more to come, I'm not sure I'm going to catch it when that person finally chimes in. Stg1 to DTR, was it everything you thought it would be and more? How does the pickup feel just for basic going from a stop to like 45mph (typically average speed around here)?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
When someone goes from a Stg1 manual to DTR, please PM how it feels, lol. Pros and Cons.

With so many pages and a foreseeable many more to come, I'm not sure I'm going to catch it when that person finally chimes in. Stg1 to DTR, was it everything you thought it would be and more? How does the pickup feel just for basic going from a stop to like 45mph (typically average speed around here)?
If you ever are in Philly let me know, you can drive my car and see the difference for yourself.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
If you ever are in Philly let me know, you can drive my car and see the difference for yourself.
I'm in Lehigh Valley area. I have a GTI with upgraded clutch kit and EQT1. I'm trying hard to find reasons to not upgrade and I read this?? Cmon man lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I seem to remember the R DP is less restrictive than the GTI. I wonder if that is a factor after reading Arin's response. Throwing more power at the stock GTI DP might just cause it to fail.
The issue is meeting GTI emissions requirements vs. the R - they are different. GTI has SAI and sits in a different category as I understand it. The DP should have nothing to do with this.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I'm not surprised that GTI > R for sales. R already comes with an IS38, logical upgrade would be a hybrid if you really want more power for money. Also i'm sure many more people own a GTI vs the $16,000 more expensive GTI with AWD :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like something a peasant with halogens would say.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I can't say it enough. I always used to think that a GTI with $10k into it would be better than an R. And after getting up to a GTI with way more than $10k into it, an R with just a $700 Accessport is leagues better. I was wrong.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
We can always explore this in the future. Based on sales it seems the GTI platform is far more popular than the R platform. I'm not so sure I expected that. The big problem will be passing emissions though. It's tight on the GTI.

I'm guessing the upgrade would be MPI + HPFP + LPFP. That's a bunch of cash. How much more power would people need to see to justify it?
I think additional fueling support in conjunction with CARB certification would be very compelling.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I can't say it enough. I always used to think that a GTI with $10k into it would be better than an R. And after getting up to a GTI with way more than $10k into it, an R with just a $700 Accessport is leagues better. I was wrong.
Could have gotten an R when I got my GTI for about $6k more. Still kicking myself for not just doing it.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Wrong wheel drive.
Fwd is a lame duck.
1652288722768.png

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Honestly hold the exact opposite opinion.

Had 2015 R for 45k miles, most of that stage1 ranging up to what at the time was FBO stage 2+

My 2020 GTI is just as fun to drive and only has a JB4, FMIC and handling upgrades. More fun in the twisties...