What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
More tools is actually always the best decision

STG.Rob

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I bought my GTI about a week ago and then an OBDeleven was in the mail for me, thanks me

Just got the turbo muffler delete and a DV spacer/vent thing in the mail. It appears to already be lowered by a previous owner, but other than that it appears to be bone stock but very well maintained. Really excited to get back into tuning a modifying again, looking for a little more power for this thing but want ride quality first. This is my first VW, but not the first to work on. Buddy had a Baja Beetle we tinkered with back in high school, that was a fun car.

Attachments

• 20220113_155720.jpg
    20220113_155720.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Well, I bought my GTI about a week ago and then an OBDeleven was in the mail for me, thanks me

Just got the turbo muffler delete and a DV spacer/vent thing in the mail. It appears to already be lowered by a previous owner, but other than that it appears to be bone stock but very well maintained. Really excited to get back into tuning a modifying again, looking for a little more power for this thing but want ride quality first. This is my first VW, but not the first to work on. Buddy had a Baja Beetle we tinkered with back in high school, that was a fun car.
Hate to be a debbie downer, but I woulda passed on both of those mods. Turbo muffler delete was such a pain in the ass and I noticed literally nothing from it. Also these cars aren't meant for the dv to vent to air, it's meant to recirculate and intake choice will have more effect on noise than that will. But anyways, welcome

STG.Rob

Go Kart Newbie
well now I feel sheepish for falling for the gimmicks... I hope replacing the piping will effect in the positive as well as a FMIC or should I leave it factory for the VW gods?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
well now I feel sheepish for falling for the gimmicks... I hope replacing the piping will effect in the positive as well as a FMIC or should I leave it factory for the VW gods?

Make sure maintenance is up to date FIRST....(i.e. the timing chain tensioner first!)

Is the car tuned?
If not, do you want to tune it?

You don't need a "FMIC"....the factory replacement (style) intercoolers work very well. But again....that's only if you're tuned or planning on tuning it IMO. A intercooler alone won't add any more power or anything, just prevent heat soak on warmer days

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Welcome to the forum. Since you have OBD11 when you get check block 93 for cam phase timing on cold start to verify chain stretch. What year is it? Earlier then 2013 you need to verify that you have the updated tensioner.

Ehh, I have gone all the way to K04 with the stock FMIC. Yes on hot days you notice it but it wouldn’t be my first mod IMO.

•New plugs and R8 coil packs
•Newest DV or a DV+
•Good set of summer tires
•Stage 1 tune

Have lots of fun while you look for/buy more parts to go stage 2.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It happens to everyone, there's a lot of bs that gets spouted out about our cars that isn't really accurate. Whenever I hear conflicting info I just try to verify it with other groups that seem to know their stuff. snobordrdan and GolNat are right though. Regular maintenance first, then go fast bits. IC can definitely wait until you know you need one. I ran an aggressive stock turbo tune for years on the stock one with no issue even in hot summers, although my hot summers are gonna be a lot different from yours.

Do you have an end goal for the car? That's gonna end up driving a lot of the decisions, like how important is comfort and autox vs track vs highway pulls

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Really excited to get back into tuning a modifying again
Im glad, but the first step to modifying your car is research. Do a search for 'turbo muffler' and 'DV spacer' and you will find both are useless and the spacer will even cause problems. It will shoot oil out all over the underside of the engine and give you underboost issues.

Good luck

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

Nice looking car, my favorite GTI color. Have fun with it. Like has been said catch up on any deferred maintenance. Timing chain & tensioner are the must do right now things. Check them before you bend those valves. Also do a DSG fluid service.

As far as mods go I'm not your guy to help, but there is a real wealth of knowledge here. Ask for help & you'll get it.

STG.Rob

Go Kart Newbie
I really don't know what direction I am going for at the moment with it. So far it looks very well maintained other than the previous owner(s) not knowing where curbs are and the wheels paid the price. I have been noticing how modular the modifications are and most seem fairly plug and play as long as the user has some basic knowledge and common sense. Looking at hp numbers, I think an aggressive stage 1 or mild stage 2 is where I would want to be at, but for now I am enjoying the mpg's compared to my lifted F250, when it's bad riding weather that is. Running track sounds fun, I have tracked on motorcycles big and small... might be fun.

I mean, the kid in me wants choo choo turbo noises and pop/bang fire but the responsible side of me says I have to wait much longer for that.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I really don't know what direction I am going for at the moment with it. So far it looks very well maintained other than the previous owner(s) not knowing where curbs are and the wheels paid the price. I have been noticing how modular the modifications are and most seem fairly plug and play as long as the user has some basic knowledge and common sense. Looking at hp numbers, I think an aggressive stage 1 or mild stage 2 is where I would want to be at, but for now I am enjoying the mpg's compared to my lifted F250, when it's bad riding weather that is. Running track sounds fun, I have tracked on motorcycles big and small... might be fun.

I mean, the kid in me wants choo choo turbo noises and pop/bang fire but the responsible side of me says I have to wait much longer for that.

Stage 2 with a down pipe, exhaust and intake will help with those noises you want. Once I did that I finally felt like I was getting the full turbo car experience. Won’t hurt MPG’s either so tune away.