GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 or not?

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey. I got a used 2012 GTI last winter with about 160k on the dash. It had some issues from a prior crash but other than that its been pretty issue free. The car now is at 172k miles and I've been thinking about going K04 once I save up some money. If I decide not to go K04, I will probably soon sell the car for something with more reliable power. My question is, do you guys think the car will hold up or will it start needing new parts regularly? Obviously, nobody really knows but I've been searching and I can't find much info on how these cars handle big mods at this age. I know there's modified gti's out there as old as mine.

The car is basically stock except for Audi R8 coils and upgraded motor and transmission mounts, still stock clutch. It has been maintained well from what I can tell and I plan to take very good care of it if I do go this route. Is there any mods I could do to help protect the car from problems that K04 may cause, accelerate (oil catch can, etc.)? I have done the timing chain tensioner of course. If anyone has an opinion or better yet, some experience with this dilemma, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I am a bit new to this forum and searching with it. If this has been covered, I havent been able to find it, sorry.

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't rule it out. First do a compression test, leak down test and get your timing chain done. If you have a healthy car there's no reason to avoid it. You'll definitely need a new clutch too.
Cool. I did the timing chain and tensioner when I got the car. If everything tests well, Is there any reason i'd blow my motor over a lower milage one? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

torga

Autocross Champion
You won't blow your engine up, but little parts will start to go. You've got 170k mi and you're about to give it a very healthy power increase. Things that are fine right now will see a lot more stress -- many things will remain fine, but things that were on their way out will likely see accelerated wear. So just budget for random repairs you'll have to make.

Like was said, you will NEED a stronger clutch if you're 6spd.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
If you have a healthy, well maintained engine my opinion is go for K04 at any mileage. I went K04 at 126k and am currently at 154k. Completely transformed the car for me. I plan on keeping this car until it is for some reason destroyed and I see no reason why I will not make it to and beyond 200k. You should monitor your timing chain for "stretch" if it was not also replaced with the tensioner.

You already have upgraded engine mounts which is a huge plus for K04. I think that helps prevent a lot of wear on the car. You will undoubtedly need a new clutch though. Take a look at the RSR clutch if you want stock like feel and engagement. I did a write-up with install tips if you want to check it out, link is in my signature.

zrickety

The Fixer
You won't blow your engine up, but little parts will start to go.
Can you be specific? I've had a couple high powered GTI, one being K04 with this mileage and never had any 'little parts' go bad.
The clutch will be an issue, absolutely. Everything else will be fine. These are fairly robust cars.

torga

Autocross Champion
Just by the basic equation that Part A is designed to last for Y time at X load. If you add load to a part, you will always decrease its service life. That's why things have load ratings, etc. The same design principles are applied to anything.
Perfect example: Stock GTI clutch is rated to last X time at OEM tq. You add a tune and increase the torque it sees, and it subsequently fails (slips), which wouldn't have happened if you only ever put stock torque through it.

To answer you question, I don't have any specific parts that will fail, only the basic truth that more load = less life.

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks for the reply. I have a K04 car (my friend has it now) that has 170k, most of it's life K04, and have not experienced any unusual failures. Truth be told, it's on the original water pump and radiator which is pretty amazing.

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
I planned to get a new clutch if I did this. I know it’s required.

thanks guys for the info. It’s greatly appreciated. I think I’m gonna go for it.

I’m still on the original water pump and radiator. I have heard that an upgraded intercooler and injectors are recommended. Opinions on this? I’ve heard a broad number of things to it being required to run K04 to it being a useless add-on.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

thanks guys for the info. It’s greatly appreciated. I think I’m gonna go for it.

I’m still on the original water pump and radiator. I have heard that an upgraded intercooler and injectors are recommended. Opinions on this? I’ve heard a broad number of things to it being required to run K04 to it being a useless add-on.
For any setup, a reliable car is one that’s been taken care of. Realistically, all you “need” to run a K04 is an upgraded clutch and a downpipe. Everything else is technically add-on but will help/enhance the experience.

Any maintenance item will wear faster so just keep that in mind and stay on top of it, you’ll be fine. Keep an eye on plugs/coils, oil, coolant, belts, water pump, etc. If the car doesn’t have too much rust/corrosion you’ll be fine. @GolNat and I recently went K04 and love it, completely different experience than stage 1/2. You’ll love it (y)

bbsxer

Passed Driver's Ed
For any setup, a reliable car is one that’s been taken care of. Realistically, all you “need” to run a K04 is an upgraded clutch and a downpipe. Everything else is technically add-on but will help/enhance the experience.

Any maintenance item will wear faster so just keep that in mind and stay on top of it, you’ll be fine. Keep an eye on plugs/coils, oil, coolant, belts, water pump, etc. If the car doesn’t have too much rust/corrosion you’ll be fine. @GolNat and I recently went K04 and love it, completely different experience than stage 1/2. You’ll love it (y)
I’m excited. I definitely got a better response from this forum than expected. I thought I was gonna hear I was dumb to even think about it, this is great news! Thanks!

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I’m excited. I definitely got a better response from this forum than expected. I thought I was gonna hear I was dumb to even think about it, this is great news! Thanks!
Ha, yeah this isn‘t Vortex. We’re friendlier here :ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind how (hard) you drive it will also determine what other mods/support/maintenance it needs. If you rag on it (like most of us do) then you’ll most likely want an intercooler, upgraded brakes and a really well sorted tune. FWIW, I’ve never heard of someone suggesting injectors for a K04🤷‍♂️

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the reply. I have a K04 car (my friend has it now) that has 170k, most of it's life K04, and have not experienced any unusual failures. Truth be told, it's on the original water pump and radiator which is pretty amazing.
jinxed it!!

torga

Autocross Champion
If the water pump and rad go, there are great, affordable non-OEM options. The Graf cast aluminum water pump is popular here and it's not the worst thing to install if you're handy (and if your engine is CCTA). There's a clean-looking ECS aluminum rad that's priced very well, but I haven't done my DD to see what people's opinions are. I'll be considering it when my rad goes.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

Get yourself some RMI-25 for that water pump/radiator. This stuff sounds too good to be true but we've been using it in all my family's cars for the past 15 years and have never had to replace a water pump or radiator since then. And it's cheap, 30 bucks for a quart which is enough to last for several years.

https://www.rmi25.com/

https://www.amazon.com/RMI-25-Cooli...8VHE6B0RPK9&psc=1&refRID=WVQASS9MP8VHE6B0RPK9