GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Discontinued all stage two software?!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
I’ve only heard of them going after one diesel shop so far. Any more than that?
I counted 12 from the article that GolNat posted, and it says the EPA collected settlements from 42 companies in total for 2019.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
27DB1007-9E00-491A-9C72-1257A520B245.jpeg

Inb4 “APR sucks anyways” comments

Also accessport for the win🤘

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
What’s stopping APR (and others) from selling downpipes with two high flow cats sitting in the stock positions? Surely two 200 cell high flow cats are less restrictive than two 800 cell (I think) stock cats.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the actual rule was that you could replace catalytic converters as long as the replacements were in the stock position. This may still not pass CARB, but it should satisfy the EPA.

Given that these cars are getting up there in miles, many of us are actually at the point where our stock cats could fail and need to be replaced. If APR sold a two cat solution that flows better I’d be inclined to give them my money over an OEM replacement, and that’s assuming the OEM replacement is still available when the stock ones go.

On top of that, for these cars stage 2 isn’t effectively faster than stage 1 anyway. Our stock downpipe seems to flow well enough to support all the boost the stock K03 is able to push. It’s not until you want to get everything out of an upgraded turbo that the stock downpipe becomes inadequate.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It reminds me of the ADA lawsuits that were going around and probably still going around. Somebody figured out you could make a lot of money by suing people for not having ADA compliant websites, and hardly anybody did at the time, and a ton of people ended up getting sued. The winn dixie lawsuit was a pretty big one. Our company ended up getting sued by someone too.

Now it looks like the door is open for every tuner to be sued.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the actual rule was that you could replace catalytic converters as long as the replacements were in the stock position. This may still not pass CARB, but it should satisfy the EPA.

NOTHING passes CARB. The second you start to use logic and reason you can be sure CARB will have none of it. It's not about enviromentalism for CARB, it's about power, kickbacks (A ex-CARB member developed a DPF for semi's and then magically it was mandated to be installed by CARB......), and just general ignorant asshatery.

I used to live in CA, long ago, and had a 79 Blazer for camping/offroading. It would not pass smog, had the entire vacuum system and ignition replaced, replaced the entire exhaust system from the manifold back, still would not pass. I adjusted the timing and tweaked the carb and amazingly the thing suddenly got 20% better fuel mileage, had more power, and amazingly.....passed the tailpipe smog test!!! CA said it was still not legal.......because I had changed the 'factory' timing settings and so it was "out of spec". Yup, even though technology had advanced and there were now high voltage coils, better wires with less losss, and platinum spark plugs that could get the spark hotter and faster allowing for cleaner burn and better settings......they demanded I use 30 year old settings. Keep in mind, CA had deemed the specific model of vehicle a Gross Polluter, they wanted them off the road, and it was even cleaner from the tailpipe than their ridiculous acceptable levels. Turns out, they have no real interest in how clean what comes out the tailpipe is, they just care about their fees, penalties, and getting to tell people what to do.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
NOTHING passes CARB. The second you start to use logic and reason you can be sure CARB will have none of it. It's not about enviromentalism for CARB, it's about power, kickbacks (A ex-CARB member developed a DPF for semi's and then magically it was mandated to be installed by CARB......), and just general ignorant asshatery.

I used to live in CA, long ago, and had a 79 Blazer for camping/offroading. It would not pass smog, had the entire vacuum system and ignition replaced, replaced the entire exhaust system from the manifold back, still would not pass. I adjusted the timing and tweaked the carb and amazingly the thing suddenly got 20% better fuel mileage, had more power, and amazingly.....passed the tailpipe smog test!!! CA said it was still not legal.......because I had changed the 'factory' timing settings and so it was "out of spec". Yup, even though technology had advanced and there were now high voltage coils, better wires with less losss, and platinum spark plugs that could get the spark hotter and faster allowing for cleaner burn and better settings......they demanded I use 30 year old settings. Keep in mind, CA had deemed the specific model of vehicle a Gross Polluter, they wanted them off the road, and it was even cleaner from the tailpipe than their ridiculous acceptable levels. Turns out, they have no real interest in how clean what comes out the tailpipe is, they just care about their fees, penalties, and getting to tell people what to do.

That’s fucked up. I’m probably about as much of a tree hugging car enthusiast as you’ll find; I like having clean air to breath and I want my kids to inherit a planet that’s not going to kill them, but..... CARB seems to get in the way as much as it helps. At some point as emissions technology improves there will be better performing catalytic converters on the market that I can install on my car, and I shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to actually make my car cleaner.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That’s fucked up. I’m probably about as much of a tree hugging car enthusiast as you’ll find; I like having clean air to breath and I want my kids to inherit a planet that’s not going to kill them, but..... CARB seems to get in the way as much as it helps. At some point as emissions technology improves there will be better performing catalytic converters on the market that I can install on my car, and I shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to actually make my car cleaner.

Not in Californistan. LOL

I forgot to mention, replaced the Carb as well with a better designed Edelbrock and that DID have a CARB number even.

The real fact is they want to remove all gas/diesel cars from the road, that is the only driving goal behind their emissions laws. That was their goal BEFORE EVs got mainstream and they aren't going back now. And with the ability granted them to make their own laws previously they were happily able to control everyone's lives, not just their own citizens serfs. Nothing blew the lid off that better than when they tried to grab more money fining people moving into the state for their "Non-compliant" cars...................again, even after these cars passed the emissions tests in CA. How did a car from outside CA pass their tests for CA designed cars only? Because car makers don't make different cars and the required equipment to be certified for CA, NY, etc is near pointless. It's bolted on to check mark a box, nothing more.

I am also a supporter of the environment, I enjoy the outdoors and want to see it continue which is why watching the planet being destroyed by the greedy and ignorant "Greenies" who do more damages with their solutions than the fake problems they claim to solve ever would even if real annoys me.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Not in Californistan. LOL

I forgot to mention, replaced the Carb as well with a better designed Edelbrock and that DID have a CARB number even.

The real fact is they want to remove all gas/diesel cars from the road, that is the only driving goal behind their emissions laws. That was their goal BEFORE EVs got mainstream and they aren't going back now. And with the ability granted them to make their own laws previously they were happily able to control everyone's lives, not just their own citizens serfs. Nothing blew the lid off that better than when they tried to grab more money fining people moving into the state for their "Non-compliant" cars...................again, even after these cars passed the emissions tests in CA. How did a car from outside CA pass their tests for CA designed cars only? Because car makers don't make different cars and the required equipment to be certified for CA, NY, etc is near pointless. It's bolted on to check mark a box, nothing more.

I am also a supporter of the environment, I enjoy the outdoors and want to see it continue which is why watching the planet being destroyed by the greedy and ignorant "Greenies" who do more damages with their solutions than the fake problems they claim to solve ever would even if real annoys me.

I don’t know... seems more like incompetence than any sort of malicious intent. If you put some people there that knew anything about auto emissions they’d probably adjust the regulations to suit reality. Instead it sounds like a corrupt racket.