GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Does anyone have any idea why the tow hooks are LH thread?? Makes zero sense to me. As an engineer, I'd only spec LH thread if said thread were on a rotating assembly in which the direction of the rotation could cause the fastener to back off, e.g. on centerlock wheels, the LH side wheels are always LH thread to prevent the CCW rotation of the left side wheels from backing the nut off.
Absolutely no idea why the VAG engineers got extra and gave the tow hook LH threads. Unnecessary.
I feel like vw are not the only ones with reverse threaded tow hooks
That being said I'd concur with your speculation.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yea, like normal people these days haha. I'd love to see somebody tow with a rope so twisted it pulls the entire hook out.
You gotta design to the lowest common denominator. My boy Mr. Wilder says it best...
200.gif

Fun fact: Cleavon Little had no idea that Wilder was gonna improvise the "moron" line -- the script ended at "common clay of the New West". So that was a genuine crack up from Little.

GolferGTI12

Ready to race!
Anyone have any advice for removing a "torque arm insert" from the dogbone mount area? Tried getting it out and the flat top part of it just ripped off leaving the other parts in the subframe bushing. Ive been trying to use pliers to grab the remaining parts and I've had no luck

Attachments

• 20200725_130632.jpg
    20200725_130632.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20200725_130622.jpg
    20200725_130622.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 87

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anyone have any advice for removing a "torque arm insert" from the dogbone mount area? Tried getting it out and the flat top part of it just ripped off leaving the other parts in the subframe bushing. Ive been trying to use pliers to grab the remaining parts and I've had no luck
Is there a way to get lubrication above? Like where the doggone goes in from the side?

GolNat

Autocross Champion

@torga had this issue. I think he just kept picking and pulling at it until it came out.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thread the pendulum arm back in and then you can use that as a pry bar to wiggle while you grab it with a pliers