GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Updates

Whitemk75

Passed Driver's Ed
What mods to the car? Usually you only see spikes that bad on the 3-4 shifts with DSG. You have an '18 also, I don't know what was changed from 17-18 on the motors, anything?

Either way, thats the price you pay for quick spool. You can adjust the wastegate tables to decrease the spike but then you are slowing the rate at which it will hit target (and it is a pain in the ass). Your choice.

I dont think facelifts got anything different motor wise.

It was doing this when i logged the Stage 2 HT OTS file also.

Intercooler, DP, INtake, Exhaust, RS7 plugs.

I was watching the video and am i right in understanding that i can adjust the low port airflow setpoint around that RPM range by -150gm/s to alleviate the boost spike?

Last edited:

Whitemk75

Passed Driver's Ed
I lowered low port airflow by 4% at 3k and 3500 and smoothed from 3k-4500 a few times. Also set the max turbo pressure ratio to 2.8. Flashed and gonna log in a bit. Sliders at 25psi and 93 oct this time since I got the intercooler on now. 67F ambient, I think chevron 93 is running better than QT for sure as I almost saw 10+ timing on the last log, although ambient temps were 45f

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I lowered low port airflow by 4% at 3k and 3500 and smoothed from 3k-4500 a few times. Also set the max turbo pressure ratio to 2.8. Flashed and gonna log in a bit. Sliders at 25psi and 93 oct this time since I got the intercooler on now. 67F ambient, I think chevron 93 is running better than QT for sure as I almost saw 10+ timing on the last log, although ambient temps were 45f

So that's not exactly what I mean, not quite.

The airflow maps simply adjust the target, per torque request.

The wastegate maps tell the ECU where to set the actuator during different variations of intake/exhaust modeled pressure (we can't log this in ED). My suggestion is to make sweeping changes if you REALLY want to figure it out by LOWERING the two maps equally for actuator setpoints 2% at a time near the bottom right half (where pressure is high).

Cobb has the modeled values baked in to their logger so it is easier for them to mod the maps. ED went with a custom map (added code to the ecu) for the BT which is based on simple setpoints and then lowered the effective reaction of the actuator (boost pids you see, compare them) to mitigate the oscillations we saw on BT due to an overly sensitive actuator position management algorithm.

Pick your poison :)

Whitemk75

Passed Driver's Ed
So that's not exactly what I mean, not quite.

The airflow maps simply adjust the target, per torque request.

The wastegate maps tell the ECU where to set the actuator during different variations of intake/exhaust modeled pressure (we can't log this in ED). My suggestion is to make sweeping changes if you REALLY want to figure it out by LOWERING the two maps equally for actuator setpoints 2% at a time near the bottom right half (where pressure is high).

Cobb has the modeled values baked in to their logger so it is easier for them to mod the maps. ED went with a custom map (added code to the ecu) for the BT which is based on simple setpoints and then lowered the effective reaction of the actuator (boost pids you see, compare them) to mitigate the oscillations we saw on BT due to an overly sensitive actuator position management algorithm.

Pick your poison :)

Interesting, thank you for the detailed info. I will dig into the maps tomorrow and see if i can find the sweet spot to alleviate the boost spike. You said if i mess with the wastegate maps it will be slower to spool to target, in your opinion what would be a happy medium between spool and boost? I obviously dont want to output 28 psi everytime i get into boost when i have it set at 25, but i dont want to kill spool. Would adjusting it to let it hit 26.5-27 psi be alright for longevity?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Anyone know or wanna speculate on what's different on the stage 3 dsg files?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting, thank you for the detailed info. I will dig into the maps tomorrow and see if i can find the sweet spot to alleviate the boost spike. You said if i mess with the wastegate maps it will be slower to spool to target, in your opinion what would be a happy medium between spool and boost? I obviously dont want to output 28 psi everytime i get into boost when i have it set at 25, but i dont want to kill spool. Would adjusting it to let it hit 26.5-27 psi be alright for longevity?

So I say this just as some background so you don't think I am talking out of my ass. I tuned the quickest is20 car on AWD and FWD, 11.59 and 11.85.

Both of them, we didn't really run more than 23-24psi, just carried more up top. Instead of playing with the wastegate maps without the proper logging values, it is easier to play along with where the turbo is happy responding to boost requests and not overcorrecting as much. By requesting a more linear curve you mitigate the request. I wouldn't see any reason to be EVER commanding more than 23-24psi from a IS20 unless you are going for a big pass. The fact of the matter is when you are racing you are in the 5-6k range anyways which is around the 23-21psi range for the IS20 maxed out. I would just stick with that.

If you are willing to experiment further however, you can keep reducing the values I mentioned until you get the spike within 1-1.5 psi of command.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Have you ever tried tuning a IS20/IS38 on the Boss500 files with the different wastegate logic/table? I'm guessing probably not worth the effort.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Have you ever tried tuning a IS20/IS38 on the Boss500 files with the different wastegate logic/table? I'm guessing probably not worth the effort.

yes, the 11.598 car was using the BT logic. It is the way to go if you want to go all out as there are no restrictions to WG duty (or at least, it is overcome easier).

Whitemk75

Passed Driver's Ed
So I say this just as some background so you don't think I am talking out of my ass. I tuned the quickest is20 car on AWD and FWD, 11.59 and 11.85.

Both of them, we didn't really run more than 23-24psi, just carried more up top. Instead of playing with the wastegate maps without the proper logging values, it is easier to play along with where the turbo is happy responding to boost requests and not overcorrecting as much. By requesting a more linear curve you mitigate the request. I wouldn't see any reason to be EVER commanding more than 23-24psi from a IS20 unless you are going for a big pass. The fact of the matter is when you are racing you are in the 5-6k range anyways which is around the 23-21psi range for the IS20 maxed out. I would just stick with that.

If you are willing to experiment further however, you can keep reducing the values I mentioned until you get the spike within 1-1.5 psi of command.

Oh i have no doubt you know what you are talking about, no need to worry. Im just trying to absorb as much as possible and you are a great resource for me.

So let's say i run it at 24 psi, am i correct in thinking if i edit the max clutch torque maps to make the map more linear (i.e. bringing the steep cells up a tad and reducing the first cell at peak torque then smoothing) in the rpm range of initial boost onset, this should smooth out my boost request and prevent some peakiness right? Then i can carry maybe 1 or 2 more psi out the back end past the 4250 mark?

Sorry if these are stupid questions in advance, i have only ever worked on port injection naturally aspirated.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

Or you send it on both sides of the curve :D knowing the turbo has months while screaming yer v8 is slowww boii at soccer moms in their husband's vette.

Whitemk75

Passed Driver's Ed
I am trying to understand fueling. The generally accepted lambda is .88 tapering to .8-.81 near redline, correct or did i read/hear that wrong? I have edited these two tables, but am unsure if there are others that i need to edit to add fuel.

Can someone shed some light on how i go about adding fuel at initial boost target and tapering down?

1573506871594.png