GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
VAG is on their way to becoming the largest automotive manufacturer in the world. They won't suddenly be bought out, if anything they'll gobble up another brand -- it's not like they haven't done that before.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
VAG is on their way to becoming the largest automotive manufacturer in the world. They won't suddenly be bought out, if anything they'll gobble up another brand -- it's not like they haven't done that before.

I agree. But shit happens. Ask Chrysler. Not likely I agree.

Zach84

Ready to race!
My rattle box 2011 GTi with 5000 miles was built in Germany... My Friends Base model 2011 Jetta with 23k miles was built in Mexico, and is as quiet as can be... I'll take a Mexican Gti if it is rattle free!

bluetrep1

Ready to race!
i wish it will be made in China, RNS510, rain sensor, light sensor, full light switch, center console cover, lip , auto climate control, parking assistant, auto mirror, back radar/image, and much more.

Last edited:

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
They said in some articles that the larger engines would be made in north america, which is possibly mexico where the 5 cylinder is made. The Chatanooga plant is set up for the new platform, but its mainly for Passat and maybe a new SUV based off the platform. I don't think they are going to up and start production of the Golf let alone the GTI. But we also don't know what the next GTI will be like. It might be even more different than the Golf with all the light weight parts and other performance pieces. It might not be as similar in body design as they are now.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
For those of you saying country of assembly doesn't matter, take it from me....

93 VTEC H22A1 Prelude - MADE IN JAPAN. Put 165k miles on it and did nothing more than change oil and pads/rotors. Car was SOLID and built like a TANK.

2008 Civic SI Coupe (replacement for the 'lude) - MADE IN CANADA. Biggest disappointment I've had in a japanese car. Coat hangers in the back seat just broke, both of them, and I never used them once. General assembly is crap. Motor and tranny is solid but the rest of the car is shit.

I'm currently trading for a GTI (see my other post I'm making). I test drove the MK6 GTI and could see what german engineering was all about. I am so freaking excited to get this car. Japan makes great car, but this german engineering I felt is nothing japan can produe.

I also drove a 2012 GLI Jetta - Made in MEXICO. Felt cheap. Doors were light as hell and the overall feel of the car was very loose and poorly manufactured.

Everyone can have their opinions, but mine based on experience and test drives is that anything made outside of Japan and Germany is CRAP.