GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Without hesitation.
Sure, I like that my German car is actually made in Germany - I think that's cool.
But I believe that Mexican workers can put one together just as well as German workers.
Most if not all of the problems that plagued New Beetles, or other cars assmbled outside of their country of origin are design issues - not assmbly issues.

zee

Go Kart Champion
The MKVI Golf is already made in Mexico called a Golf Wagon in Canada and Golf Variant for the ROW.

Still a Jetta in USA though.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
2) U.S. Golfs will NEVER be made anywhere but germany or (possibly) the U.S.. The GTI will never come from anywhere but Germany

PERIOD.

Oh boy, and you said that VW would never bring the R to the US - yet we now get one.

Get ready for a Mexican made GTI everybody :p

:D

Personally it doesn't really bother me where its is made as long as the quality is there.

Many seem to confuse assembly with engineering. If a car is assembled in Mexico and has thin door panels, those thin door panels are not due to where it was assembled but due to cost-cutting choices made while the vehicle was being designed. Those decisions are made much further upstream from the point of assembly.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Oh boy, and you said that VW would never bring the R to the US - yet we now get one.

Get ready for a Mexican made GTI everybody :p

:D

Personally it doesn't really bother me where its is made as long as the quality is there.

Many seem to confuse assembly with engineering. If a car is assembled in Mexico and has thin door panels, those thin door panels are not due to where it was assembled but due to cost-cutting choices made while the vehicle was being designed. Those decisions are made much further upstream from the point of assembly.

Thank You.
The Mexicans will just be popping those door panels on, and putting the screws in.
If it's designed right in the first place, there's know reason to fear they won't put it together right.
Not for anything; Mexicans are ward working people.

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
^You guys are correct.

I think it comes down to the engineering. The issues with the Jetta have to do with the design and engineering. It looks cheaper and feels cheaper, because it is cheaper, not because it was assembled in Mexico.

My previous Audi ('05 B7 A4) had numerous issues, like more than I can count with my fingers. My GTI came with window trim that wasn't seated properly, from the factory, in Germany. It also has the wastegate rattle, leaky rear window sprayer, squeaky door seals, factory radio that went through a period of not powering on, etc. These were both assembled in Germany. VAG is known for these types of things, and I knew what I was getting into, with the purchase of the GTI.

I will say, that if they cheapen the next GTI, like they did with the Jetta, that will affect my decision, bottom line. I'll just buy an A3, then live with the issues that that car will undoubtedly have.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Changchun, China

McQueen77

Banned
I dont really care since I'll most likely still be driving this German made bastard in 2020

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
For those of you saying country of assembly doesn't matter, take it from me....

93 VTEC H22A1 Prelude - MADE IN JAPAN. Put 165k miles on it and did nothing more than change oil and pads/rotors. Car was SOLID and built like a TANK.

2008 Civic SI Coupe (replacement for the 'lude) - MADE IN CANADA. Biggest disappointment I've had in a japanese car. Coat hangers in the back seat just broke, both of them, and I never used them once. General assembly is crap. Motor and tranny is solid but the rest of the car is shit.

Two examples color the opinion of thousands of cars. Good plan. :D

I also drove a 2012 GLI Jetta - Made in MEXICO. Felt cheap. Doors were light as hell and the overall feel of the car was very loose and poorly manufactured.

Doubt they use different doors on the GLI than they do on the Jetta. Doors on our TDI are solid, same as my GTI. They definitely scaled back on the components on the Jetta's to make that price point and sell more, the dash, the MFD (or lack of one), but nothing feels poorly manufactured.

I mean, come on, the GTI is made in Germany and look at the number of threads complaining about build quality on our cars. Wind noise, rattles, water pumps dying after 500 miles, ect, ect.

There are way more variables when it comes to reliability than where the car's assembled. Just saying.

Agreed. Before I even start to look at country I look at;

A) Engineering
B) Brand.

If a shitty company tells it's factory workers to use sub standard parts and shortcut assembly, that's not the fault of the nationality of the workers. Everyone remember the crappy quality of American cars the last few decades? Guess what? Honda, Subaru, and Toyota all manufacture cars in the US. So does BMW. So is it the workers and local or the business processes and procedures?

There is only one exception to this rule. Never buy a car built in Britain. :D

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
Without hesitation.
Sure, I like that my German car is actually made in Germany - I think that's cool.
But I believe that Mexican workers can put one together just as well as German workers.
Most if not all of the problems that plagued New Beetles, or other cars assmbled outside of their country of origin are design issues - not assmbly issues.

The comparison shouldn't even be Mexican plant workers to German plant workers..... it's more Mexican plant workers to Turkish/Greek/Italian plant workers on work visas. I've toured Stuttgart and that opened my eyes a bit and I'm sure it's the same with Bavaria, Ingolstadt/Neckarsulm, as well as Wolfsburg.

The previous point about having an engineer local to troubleshoot manufacturing issues is a valid one as I was one of those engineers, but you can sure bet that if there's a plant in Mexico, there are more than a few German engineers living there as well.

For every example someone brings up of "oh I have one made in Mexico/Africa/China and had this and this problem", I bet you I can find an equal amount of "oh I have one made in Germany and had this and this problem" as well. Quality issues are quickly tracked and pinpointed with the plethora of traceable data and if you have a certain plant that is prone to a certain defect/failing, you better believe that it gets addressed to bring back up to quality norms.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
can't believe how ignorant some of you guys are on the forum. This factory produces over 400,000 vehicles a year and when it expands to be an engine building facility, it will have that much more impact on their supply chain. While I used to live up north and share some of the same sarcastic stigmas for Mexicans, these people are very proud of their country and very hard workers. What's amazing is that VW's always had the stigma of being poor quality, poor electronics, and cheap parts, and that is the reputation you want to defend? VW started out as a great company and then went to crap when the original owners died out. It has slowly been making a comeback and quality, I believe, is at an all time high and continuing to grow. This Mexico facility has been open for a long time. Get over it guys, we live in a global economy, and we drive imported cars...your ignorance is ridiculous

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
can't believe how ignorant some of you guys are on the forum. This factory produces over 400,000 vehicles a year and when it expands to be an engine building facility, it will have that much more impact on their supply chain. While I used to live up north and share some of the same sarcastic stigmas for Mexicans, these people are very proud of their country and very hard workers. What's amazing is that VW's always had the stigma of being poor quality, poor electronics, and cheap parts, and that is the reputation you want to defend? VW started out as a great company and then went to crap when the original owners died out. It has slowly been making a comeback and quality, I believe, is at an all time high and continuing to grow. This Mexico facility has been open for a long time. Get over it guys, we live in a global economy, and we drive imported cars...your ignorance is ridiculous

Whoa...crossed the line bud. people are entitled to opinions without being called ignorant.

lock thread...ran its course.