GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 First Impressions

Delboy

Oval Newbie
Well at last the day arrived and I set of at 5am from Kent to Stockport to pick up my new toy, after 270 miles and several cups of coffee later I arrived at Smith Knight Fay VW Stockport. At 9.30 am

Smith Knight Fay managed to make what was supposed to be a special day, feel rather ordinary, even after making a 10am appointment, and knowing I had a long journey back home, they kept me hanging around over two hours, anyway seeing the car fully valeted soon made me forget all my gripes.
The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky, I was looking forwards to my trip back.

So first impressions, in a word “fantastic” solid, comfy, great engine note. I won’t talk about looks and styling as “each to their own” and I think it’s all been covered before, but as far as driving is concerned the R32 feel planted, and un phased by rough roads and white lines, maybe the extra 200kgs over the FWD Golf might be part of the way it’s handle the pot holes?

The engine is a gem, quiet when it needs to be, but a lovely burble on light throttle, turning into a deep growl when you give it some. It’s really flexible , even in top gear I keep going for a higher ratio, thinking I’m in third, I can’t wait to see how it is after a few thousand has been racked up.

Steering inputs need to be greater for the same end result compared to my GTi, but not much, and after a few weeks driving I don’t think I’ll even notice.

Braking forces are massive, and on a couple of occasions I’ve nearly suffered from whiplash due to jumping on the pedal with too much exuberance .

Road noise is also good, with not too much tyre noise from the Dunlop’s and reasonable feel through the steering wheel, I don’t know about wet weather grip, as I’ve not driven in the rain yet. I was hoping for the Michelins to have been fitted though.

Mine had s the manual gearbox, which is a sweet to use as any of the 3 MK5 Golf’s I’ve owned over the last few months, however 1st gear on the R32 is almost a waste of time, as soon as the clutch bites, it needs knocking up a cog.
And to be honest I was hoping that top gear would have pulled less rpm than it does, it’s the same as the GTi around 80 mph @ 3000 rpm.

Fuel consumption is better than I though, I know I’m running her in, but coming back from Stockport, sticking around 80-85 MPH it returned 31 MPG and on my work route over the last few days 27 MPG, which I’m pleased about.

On to the interior, do I miss the leather? well the smell yes, but I do prefer the £1600 in my pocket TBH, I do however miss the dark roof lining that doesn’t seam to be available with cloth interiors, seats are a supportive and comfortable as the leather.

I like the silver detail around the radio controls as it lifts the greyness a little, not a lover of the blue neon look needles on the clocks, prefer the red on blue numbers of the rest of the range.

Xenon’s are amazing, they turn night into day, and pick out details along the dark a gloomy verge with ease, I was surprised that they still use the halogen lamps on main beam, I though Bi Xenon’s only needed them for flashing.

So far then, to sum up, I love the R32 and can’t wait to get the chance to drive it, if I had one niggle, it would be with the drive train, I struggle to get smooth gear changes at slow speed, this might be me not being used to the bite point of the new clutch, or the it’s not bedded in yet, but that’s about it really.

Thanks for reading.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
First off:

:needpics:

Second, 270 miles? I thought the UK converted to the metric system years ago?

Maseroche

Ready to race!
Nice write-up Delboy. Congratulations on the R32.

bilbos

On the Kop
Very nice Delboy.

How come you had to go all the way to Stockport? The ride back would of been great - M6, M25, M20?. I have done that route a few times myself.

You will have to give us an update after you have a few miles on it. I am tempted myself, once they arrive on these shores.

Delboy

Oval Newbie
Very nice Delboy.

How come you had to go all the way to Stockport? The ride back would of been great - M6, M25, M20?. I have done that route a few times myself.

You will have to give us an update after you have a few miles on it. I am tempted myself, once they arrive on these shores.

Hi Bilbos
The dealer in Stockport gave me the best PX price by about £2.5k, so worth a few quids worth of unleaded I thought.

Longer term review on the cards.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
that car is beautiful! is the r36 avalible there in the UK? If the manuel version was avalible here in the US i would trade my gti in a second. (i always wondered how the brits shift with their left hands) Why is one of the back fogs red?