GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slipping clutch thread.

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
I've got 43,000 miles on my 08, been stage 2 for about 42,000 of them. I have just recently been noticing that my clutch is loosing some clamping force in 1st gear but other than that, I haven't had a single issue with slipping or what not.

That being said, I will replace it with a southbend kit just because I want to go to a SMF.

i would say somewhere around 25-30k

i have 17800 miles on my car and i have been stage 2 for 10 000 miles and there was no slipping ,even in higher gears......as soon as i got the apr fuel pump and the tune,plus the intercooler,it slips badly in 4th 5th and 6th of course,if i dont make pulls in those high gears,there is no slipping1st second and 3rd,no problem,it pulls hard. are you telling me there isnt too much torque for my stock clutch? i have had manual cars in the past that went easily over 100 000 miles,no problem. i bought my car new and always driven the car properly,no riding the clutch,etc. if your cars went past 90k or 100k with no slippage and being chipped that means ur not driving your car to its full potential. there is too much power for the stock clutch,period

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
there is too much power for the stock clutch,period

Ok. I see you are very firm on that.

So when you got your fuel pump, intercooler, tune, etc did you test it out at all? Did you do a few pulls to see if you can notice the difference? Or did you just drive the car like you always do? Don't you think that could've been the straw that broke the camels back? After all YOU are in control of the gas pedal.

This is just like the argument that WRX's have glass jaw transmissions. Some people insist that the transmission is too weak and defective, but if you search WRX + launch on youtube there are millions of owners out there trying to do WRC style launches with a stock WRX! At some point something has to give...

Or the Corvette owners putting on slicks at the track and then snapping axles.

Or the 1.8t owners getting sludge when they are using conventional oil on a turbocharged engine.

It all comes down to the owners and how they use the car and take care of it. It's always been that way, even with old cars. If you drive it like a grandma, it'll last forever. If you tear off from every stop sign you're gonna wear stuff out quicker.

Bryan06GTI

On my best behavior
Car(s)
06 GTI
My bro has a 02 WRX and he just changed his clutch out at 160k miles..he also by no means babys his car it is also very well modded too. the guy at the dealer said they have never seen a stock clutch hold out so long..

i guarantee you that if you ride with me in the car, what i call beating on my car is mild driving for most owners on this forum,i never launched my car or did stupid burnouts or track it. yes i think that straw broke that camels back and i drove the car like i usually drive it after pump tune,never abused it at all. u have to remember that there is more torque too after the pump tune and more power in the mid rpm range. i already have a stb stage 2+ endurance,its been sitting in my room for a couple of weeks now. after i get that installed i will have no problem driving my car,now...if that starts to slip after a couple of thousand miles,then i have a problem driving stick,but i am more that positive that the sbc will last me a very long time after i install it

Steve516

Ready to race!
Well, I have a lot of miles under my belt driving many many cars over the years. My 96 Mk3 VR6 Jetta had 150k on the original stock clutch when I sold it to a friend, who is also on the original stock clutch. That was the longest I had a new car... I bet the clutch will go another 100k easy.

I think there are a lot of folks out there that "think" they know how to drive a manual transmission properly, but in reality, they never learned how. My girlfriend is a good example - and she refuses to let me teach her some basics. So, at some point her Subaru is going to need a clutch.

If you mod your car, chances are you will over stress the clutch. I would imagine that VW built in 10-20% extra strength in the clutch - so 20-40 hp or ft/lbs of torque. Even a stage 1 is 50-60 extra hp - so right off the bat you know there will be issues.

I would be real curious to see what the pressure plate on an A4 2.0T is like compared to ours since it is basically a stage 1 - and the clutch feels smoother and easier in the Audi to me.

Since I got my MkV used with 38k on the clock, I am sure at some point it will need a clutch. I just hope it's not too soon...

sbghms

Crubs fents brushes
Car(s)
09 CW rabbit
My rabbit's clutch has been slipping since I drove it new off the lot due to the hair-scorching 170hp. It never had a chance....

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
LMAO cat eating corn ^

Volkswagen85 if I had an SBC sitting around I'd install it too. Either way it isn't that much money, just a lot of work. It's better than blowing up the whole transmission.

Well, I have a lot of miles under my belt driving many many cars over the years. My 96 Mk3 VR6 Jetta had 150k on the original stock clutch when I sold it to a friend, who is also on the original stock clutch. That was the longest I had a new car... I bet the clutch will go another 100k easy.

I think there are a lot of folks out there that "think" they know how to drive a manual transmission properly, but in reality, they never learned how. My girlfriend is a good example - and she refuses to let me teach her some basics. So, at some point her Subaru is going to need a clutch.

If you mod your car, chances are you will over stress the clutch. I would imagine that VW built in 10-20% extra strength in the clutch - so 20-40 hp or ft/lbs of torque. Even a stage 1 is 50-60 extra hp - so right off the bat you know there will be issues.

I would be real curious to see what the pressure plate on an A4 2.0T is like compared to ours since it is basically a stage 1 - and the clutch feels smoother and easier in the Audi to me.

Since I got my MkV used with 38k on the clock, I am sure at some point it will need a clutch. I just hope it's not too soon...

To know how to drive a manual properly I think you gotta have some general knowledge about the transmission (general,not read like 20 books about it lol), and the most important,to feel the car when you are driving ; taking off smoothly,when uphill...use the handbrake,revmatch.....etc

white4dr

The Stig
i have 17800 miles on my car and i have been stage 2 for 10 000 miles and there was no slipping ,even in higher gears......as soon as i got the apr fuel pump and the tune,plus the intercooler,it slips badly in 4th 5th and 6th of course,if i dont make pulls in those high gears,there is no slipping1st second and 3rd,no problem,it pulls hard. are you telling me there isnt too much torque for my stock clutch? i have had manual cars in the past that went easily over 100 000 miles,no problem. i bought my car new and always driven the car properly,no riding the clutch,etc. if your cars went past 90k or 100k with no slippage and being chipped that means ur not driving your car to its full potential. there is too much power for the stock clutch,period

I have the same problem. I recently went stg 2 and I slip in 4th, 5th, and 6th if i'm WOT. Right now its not an issue because I don't pull in those gears. I backed my car down to the 91 octane map and it has seemed to help.