GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP!!! I've got a flashing CEL & no throttle...

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Lol thats crazy, so was that it, hope u know your code. U cant hold buttons for too long or ull start activating shit

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
How the hell did it go into anti-theft mode while you were driving it??

Icy6

Ready to race!
How the hell did it go into anti-theft mode while you were driving it??

SET-SET-RES-RES-SET-SET-RES-RES

Puts you in anti-theft mode no matter what as long as the key is turned to ignition or engine on.

This thread is pretty fucking awesome, though. :thumbsup:

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
SET-SET-RES-RES-SET-SET-RES-RES

Puts you in anti-theft mode no matter what as long as the key is turned to ignition or engine on.

This thread is pretty fucking awesome, though. :thumbsup:

Hmm, it only took me 10K+ miles to manage to hit that combo. I hope to hell I can manage to avoid it from now on. But who the hell keeps track of what their last seven inputs were with their cruise control?

I'd hope that APR would make a change, to require some non-cruise control related step, to prevent this from even being possible. What good is a cruise control when you've got to worry about setting crap off unintentionally? Ugh...

Mike@APR

Mechanical Engineer
rs_hunter:

I apologize that you did not get a call back. I know that this is no excuse but the phones stay very busy at APR and I am sure that no one on our staff intentionally left you without a return phone call.

Please allow me to address your concerns:

Anti-Theft is the only APR feature that CAN be activated while the engine is on. Anti-Theft mode can be activated while the vehicle is in motion but will not actually take effect until the next time you cycle the ignition key. However, if you have activated it while driving, you will see the flashing check engine light letting you know it has been called for even if you have not cycled the key yet to actually put it into action. So for example, let's say you hand the keys to your mechanic so he can park it on the lift and install your new exhaust but you don't want him to drive the car. You can call for the Anti-Theft mode while you are on the way to his shop and you will see the CEL flash but it won't activate until after he parks the car on the lift and turns the key back. Makes sense?

The Anti-Theft feature is called for by using the key sequence <SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME><SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME> on your cruise control stalk.

The key sequence cannot have any input delays longer than 1.5 sec to 3.0 sec depending on vehicle model year and cruise control type. If the delay in input exceeds this time, the request is cancelled and reset waiting for the next start of the sequence from the beginning. And on the newer models running the MED17 engine management, we also made it such that the entire sequence must be entered in 5 sec or less.

If you want to avoid having access to this function while the vehicle is in motion, all you have to do is use the Security Lock-Out feature and it will prevent any changes to the APR settings until you stop the car and put in your unique passcode to unlock the ECU.

The information about the use of the Anti-Theft and Security Lock-Out functions are listed within the owner's manual that you were provided when the software was installed. You can also find the manual here: http://www.goapr.com/support/dpp_emcs_instructions.pdf

If I can be of any more assistance, please let me know.

Regards,

rs_hunter

rs_hunter:

I apologize that you did not get a call back. I know that this is no excuse but the phones stay very busy at APR and I am sure that no one on our staff intentionally left you without a return phone call.

Please allow me to address your concerns:

Anti-Theft is the only APR feature that CAN be activated while the engine is on. Anti-Theft mode can be activated while the vehicle is in motion but will not actually take effect until the next time you cycle the ignition key. However, if you have activated it while driving, you will see the flashing check engine light letting you know it has been called for even if you have not cycled the key yet to actually put it into action. So for example, let's say you hand the keys to your mechanic so he can park it on the lift and install your new exhaust but you don't want him to drive the car. You can call for the Anti-Theft mode while you are on the way to his shop and you will see the CEL flash but it won't activate until after he parks the car on the lift and turns the key back. Makes sense?

The Anti-Theft feature is called for by using the key sequence <SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME><SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME> on your cruise control stalk.

The key sequence cannot have any input delays longer than 1.5 sec to 3.0 sec depending on vehicle model year and cruise control type. If the delay in input exceeds this time, the request is cancelled and reset waiting for the next start of the sequence from the beginning. And on the newer models running the MED17 engine management, we also made it such that the entire sequence must be entered in 5 sec or less.

If you want to avoid having access to this function while the vehicle is in motion, all you have to do is use the Security Lock-Out feature and it will prevent any changes to the APR settings until you stop the car and put in your unique passcode to unlock the ECU.

The information about the use of the Anti-Theft and Security Lock-Out functions are listed within the owner's manual that you were provided when the software was installed. You can also find the manual here: http://www.goapr.com/support/dpp_emcs_instructions.pdf

If I can be of any more assistance, please let me know.

Regards,

I assumed that the message never even got passed on...

If I read your post correctly, I would have had to have entered all eight steps in the sequence over a time period of no more than 35 seconds, that being 5 seconds max between each input (or do you mean just 5 seconds for all 8 steps?), total. That would have meant <SET><DECELERATE><ACCELERATE><ACCELERATE><DECELERATE><DECELERATE><ACCELERATE><ACCELERATE>, correct? I can honestly say that I didn't use such a schizophrenic process. I was pressing on in very light traffic, with minimal adjustment of the cruise settings. What would constitute constant up-and-down speed adjustments, over a matter of seconds, simply doesn't make any sense. If it's the 5 seconds for everything figure, it makes even less sense, don't you think?

I don't know if it may have anything to do with it, but when the car was originally set up, I know that the installation system just pulled a security code out of thin air and listed it on the burn report. Later, when I was trying to switch programs, I had to call you guys because the code on the report wasn't working. On pulling the report, it was discovered that my original code of choice was installed by the system, despite it reporting otherwise. Whether the system carried out the rest of the programming according to plan, I have no idea.

Mike@APR

Mechanical Engineer
I assumed that the message never even got passed on...

If I read your post correctly, I would have had to have entered all eight steps in the sequence over a time period of no more than 35 seconds, that being 5 seconds max between each input (or do you mean just 5 seconds for all 8 steps?), total. That would have meant <SET><DECELERATE><ACCELERATE><ACCELERATE><DECELERATE><DECELERATE><ACCELERATE><ACCELERATE>, correct? I can honestly say that I didn't use such a schizophrenic process. I was pressing on in very light traffic, with minimal adjustment of the cruise settings. What would constitute constant up-and-down speed adjustments, over a matter of seconds, simply doesn't make any sense. If it's the 5 seconds for everything figure, it makes even less sense, don't you think?

I don't know if it may have anything to do with it, but when the car was originally set up, I know that the installation system just pulled a security code out of thin air and listed it on the burn report. Later, when I was trying to switch programs, I had to call you guys because the code on the report wasn't working. On pulling the report, it was discovered that my original code of choice was installed by the system, despite it reporting otherwise. Whether the system carried out the rest of the programming according to plan, I have no idea.

You have to enter the Anti-Theft sequence with no pauses in the sequence longer than 1.5 to 3 seconds. In addition, if you have a 2008/2009 MED17 2.0 TSI (CCTA/CBFA), you also have to complete the full sequence in 5 seconds or less. That's the best way I can explain it. And the key sequence is <SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME><SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME>.

As far as the descrepancy about the security code, that issue is related to the reporting of the code by our dealer web page and has nothing to do with the code that actually went on your car. The code that you chose and the dealer entered when setting up the flash is what was programmed on your car and what actually shows up in our database. The mis-reported code is an error in the webpage, not the actual application or software. We are replacing our entire dealer interface in the next few weeks with a completely new web page and this is one of the issues that has been resolved on the new web page that we are currently testing internally.

Also, if something were wrong with the programming (i.e. bad data or corrupt data), your car would most likely not work at all. Typically, bad data would not result in a single unique problem related to only one feature but in a full system level problem.

Please PM me with your Name, VIN, and email address and I will research your flash history on our server. We record every step of every flash. So, every single piece of data that was sent to your ECU is on our server for review. I don't think anything is necessarily wrong but we can always take a look at the server logs. In addition, you can use the Security Lock-Out function once you have chosen your octane level to prevent the use of Anti-Theft while driving. Please send me your info so I can back to you tomorrow.

Regards,

rs_hunter

You have to enter the Anti-Theft sequence with no pauses in the sequence longer than 1.5 to 3 seconds. In addition, if you have a 2008/2009 MED17 2.0 TSI (CCTA/CBFA), you also have to complete the full sequence in 5 seconds or less. That's the best way I can explain it. And the key sequence is <SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME><SET><SET><RESUME><RESUME>.

As far as the descrepancy about the security code, that issue is related to the reporting of the code by our dealer web page and has nothing to do with the code that actually went on your car. The code that you chose and the dealer entered when setting up the flash is what was programmed on your car and what actually shows up in our database. The mis-reported code is an error in the webpage, not the actual application or software. We are replacing our entire dealer interface in the next few weeks with a completely new web page and this is one of the issues that has been resolved on the new web page that we are currently testing internally.

Also, if something were wrong with the programming (i.e. bad data or corrupt data), your car would most likely not work at all. Typically, bad data would not result in a single unique problem related to only one feature but in a full system level problem.

Please PM me with your Name, VIN, and email address and I will research your flash history on our server. We record every step of every flash. So, every single piece of data that was sent to your ECU is on our server for review. I don't think anything is necessarily wrong but we can always take a look at the server logs. In addition, you can use the Security Lock-Out function once you have chosen your octane level to prevent the use of Anti-Theft while driving. Please send me your info so I can back to you tomorrow.

Regards,

It's an '08 BPY. Hmm, that'd make it ~10.5 to 21 seconds for the total procedure. I can't imagine how I would have pulled that off. I guess I'll chalk it up to gremlins and set the lock-out.

That explains the security code. Even the tech who did the install was wondering what the heck was going on...

Give me a bit. I'll go get my registration and PM you the info. Thanks

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
$hit happens. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. If it were me and I didn't get it figured out (awesome what a web-based cell phone and these forums can do!) I would have called back myself. That doesn't excuse APR but it's not the end of the world.

Didn't we see this same thing recently?

This is disappointing.