GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP!!! I've got a flashing CEL & no throttle...

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
I'm stuck at a rest area...

Had been driving about 60 miles when the light started flashing. Pulled off and shut the car down. Checked for anything obvious, saw nothing. Started the engine and had no throttle whatsoever. Engine was running fine before I shut it down.

mobbin6

Banned
Get car towed to dealer, DO NOT DRIVE.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Check your battery cables. Every time I disconnect my battery the throttle does not respond after the first start...no idea why. Really scared me the first time. After I shut it off and started again everything was fine. Your ground might be loose which caused the CEL? Nothing happened aside from the light starting to flash?

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
Do you have APR? Maybe you accidentally put the car into anti-theft mode, and didn't realize it?

rs_hunter

Check your battery cables. Every time I disconnect my battery the throttle does not respond after the first start...no idea why. Really scared me the first time. After I shut it off and started again everything was fine. Your ground might be loose which caused the CEL? Nothing happened aside from the light starting to flash?

22K miles without an issue. Engine was just humming along for about 45 minutes when the CEL started flashing. Pulled off at the next stop and turned the car off. Had a good look around the engine bay and didn't spot anything. When I restarted the car it idled fine, put it in gear and all it would do is move at idle, with no response to throttle inputs.

Eff me...

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
22K miles without an issue. Engine was just humming along for about 45 minutes when the CEL started flashing. Pulled off at the next stop and turned the car off. Had a good look around the engine bay and didn't spot anything. When I restarted the car it idled fine, put it in gear and all it would do is move at idle, with no response to throttle inputs.

Eff me...

Sounds like anti-theft mode, were you using cruise control?

rs_hunter

Do you have APR? Maybe you accidentally put the car into anti-theft mode, and didn't realize it?
Yep, I've got APR. I've got a call in to them. The tech assistance was on another line so I left my name and number. Told them I was stuck on the side of the road. Still waiting on the callback, I called before I started the thread...

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
Yep, I've got APR. I've got a call in to them. The tech assistance was on another line so I left my name and number. Told them I was stuck on the side of the road. Still waiting on the callback, I called before I started the thread...

Don't you have the packet that came with the software?

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
1. Locate your unique access code.
2. Turn ignition key to the ON position. DO NOT START THE ENGINE. The check engine and EPC lights should stay illuminated unless anti-theft is active,
in which case the check engine light will blink continuously.
3. Ensure that the cruise control slider button (this is the upper cruise control button) is in the ON position. If the cruise was ON, turn it OFF and back ON
again.
4. Enter the fi rst digit of your unique access code by pressing the SET button on the cruise control stalk the same number of times corresponding with the fi rst
digit of your security code (ex. for a 9, press the SET button nine times). You do not have to hold the set button for any specifi c period of time, just press the
button and release it.
5. Using the upper switch on the cruise control stalk, turn the cruise OFF to register each digit of your unique access code. Once the cruise is in the OFF position,
turn the cruise control back to the ON position and proceed with the next digit.
6. Enter subsequent digits in your access code by following the same procedure you used above, pressing the SET button the number of times corresponding
with each digit. Do not forget to register each digit by sliding the upper cruise control switch to the OFF position. Also, ensure that the cruise control slider
button is turned back ON before proceeding with the next digit. If you make a mistake entering your access code, turn the cruise OFF and then start over at step
two of these instructions. It is not necessary to turn the ignition off and back on if you make a mistake.
7. After you have correctly entered your unique access code and the cancel button is pressed after the last digit, the check engine and EPC lights will start
blinking alternately to signify that the code was entered correctly. If unlocking DirectPort trial software, wait 10 seconds after the lights stop fl ashing before
performing any other EMCS functions.

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
That's what you have to do...

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
Oh, and the check engine light should stop blinking once you have done that...

rs_hunter

Sounds like anti-theft mode, were you using cruise control?
DING! DING!! DING!!!

I do believe we're onto something here.

Now if I hadn't taken my manual out of the car when I had to take it in for the body and glass repairs, I'd be golden. Instead, I'm screwed.

Anyone with APR care post the instructions for getting a BPY with an integrated stalk out of anti-theft mode?

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
I already did...