GOLFMKV

DIY - NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge w/Indigo Gauge

jettagt8v80

I know nothing
Car(s)
2006 GTi DSG
doing mine tomorrow

and to those complaining about the kit

i had the kit in my mkiv for over 4 years and never once had a single problem so i dont know what your talking about the fit is pretty damn good yeah its not an exact match but nothing ever will be ohh and use velcro it works much better than that crappy double sides foam tape stuff

ideally id like to get a DEFi gauge but those are a wee bit too pricey for a non essential gauge plus my dad bought me this for my birthday so THANKS DAD :thumbsup:

DriV3n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'09 CW GTI
Just did the install... but I did it a little differently. I ran the vac. line out from the inside of the car first - no need to remove the battery.

Same here.
Also,
the harness that holds gray wire from the headlight switch is accessible when the fuse door is pulled off. No need to remove the headlight switch.

Mine wouldn't come out with the twist instructions so I just grabbed the harness and did it above the fuses.

Add another for the Silver trim ring. I'm thinkning of painting it, though. i want the silver to be a little slimmer so it will match the trim ring size around the other gauges.

What do you guys think?

DriV3n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'09 CW GTI
ideally id like to get a DEFi gauge but those are a wee bit too pricey for a non essential gauge plus my dad bought me this for my birthday so THANKS DAD :thumbsup:

I still want a Defi BF Red gauge, but can't see myself spending that much when this one works fine and looks fine.

jettagt8v80

I know nothing
Car(s)
2006 GTi DSG
pic of my install

the Po of my car had installed one and just capped the engine tap with a screw i was not to happy to find that

KTL

Passed Driver's Ed
can't get proper readings from my gauge.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the NewSouth Boost gauge install.
I found the T fitting inside diameter to be a lot bigger than the stock VW pipe, what I have done is tighten the T-fitting using the clamps in the kit until it looks like it is tight.

When the car is idling, it reads about 20In Hg, but when driving, the needle moves between 20In Hg to 0psi, it never goes above 0psi.

Is this T-Fitting the problem? but if it is the problem, then how come it is still giving some sort of a reading?

KT

herksrus

My other ride is a MC-130
Car(s)
08 GTI
Just installed mine yesterday and the boost portion works great. Im stg 2 apr and looks like im losing some boost somewhere. Good thing I got the AWE DV kit in my room. Anyway, I cant get the freaking gage to illuminate! I spliced exactly as shown on the New South website red wire to soild grey wire and black wire to the soild brown wire. Then just for kicks I disconnected the black wire and ran it directly to a chassis ground and the damn thing still dont work. Any input?

Quicker10u

Pwned by P90x until....
Car(s)
06' GTI
Just installed mine today. I found I didn't need to remove as many items as this DIY shows. One good suggestion is using a coat hanger to fish the boost line through the firewall. Just tape the boost line to it and push it through under the rubber boot on the firewall. I had so much trouble with the headlight switch that i used my tester to find a wire that was hot when the lights were on and spliced into that instead. I really don't care about the lack of a dimmer. I went with the VDO gauge as I have had good luck with them in the past. Overall better than a pillar pod and not as fast and furious as a vent pod (IMHO).

vwboy308

Ready to race!
Same here.
Also,
the harness that holds gray wire from the headlight switch is accessible when the fuse door is pulled off. No need to remove the headlight switch.

Mine wouldn't come out with the twist instructions so I just grabbed the harness and did it above the fuses.

Add another for the Silver trim ring. I'm thinkning of painting it, though. i want the silver to be a little slimmer so it will match the trim ring size around the other gauges.

What do you guys think?
instead of painting why dont u use pinstriping on it. if u dont like it u can take it off

DriV3n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'09 CW GTI
instead of painting why dont u use pinstriping on it. if u dont like it u can take it off

I doubt that I'll be able to make a perfect circle with the pinstriping. I don't wat to get in a fight :fighting0030: with the pin stripe and get pissed off that it doesn't come out perfect.

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
installed mine today. still have to pick up some double-sided tape to affix the pod itself, other than that it's ready to go. love it so far, HATED installing it. engine cover = epic fail... mine separated at the lower left mount because i was pulling on the "top" portion, i hope this doesnt affect my intake but i dont think it should considering screw placement.
a tip for reinstalling the cover - use lubrication of some kind! i struggled with it for like 20 minutes and couldn't for the life of me get it back on. dabbed a little soap on each mount and the thing popped on no problem.

1 other thing - i have a bunch of parts left over it seems. i have another black rubber tube, all my zip ties, 2 red connectors of some sort, and a black t-fitting. i have not zip-tied the boost line anywhere so i suppose i should take care of that, but everything else looks and works fine. my replacement boost hose came with a white tap already present, so i installed that, ran a rubber line, fed the boost line into the rubber, routed the boost line up to the gauge, into another rubber hose which is attached to the gauge itself. does this sound right? i couldn't figure out how to make it work with the extra t-fitting i have... and definitely had no use for the red clips. anyways its late i gotta get some sleep, tomorrow i'm going to get APR stage 1 :wink:

edit: APR FTW! so glad i got the boost gauge in before getting the chip. Spiking 15psi (extremely briefly though) and holding 10 stock, the car now spikes to 23psi and tapers slowly to 15 or maybe less by redline. weather today sucked though, it was raining when i left the place :mad0259:. still, at highway speeds i can tell the thing rips. i'm told that there is no valet program yet from APR? i'll have to go back for it? saving up for a DP and then doing stage 2, i'll be back there anyway i guess. anti-theft is cool, but i wish it made the car not start like on older cars, in the mk5 the car will start, instead the throttle pedal is disabled.
anyways, about the gauge / pod: i still haven't double sided taped the pod but honestly, i drove it to my shop and back on probably the worst highway ever (which i never usually go down, for locals i'm talking about rt 202 south and north between paoli and the 30 bypass) with that grooved temporary rough as hell asphalt or w/e.... bottom line the pod was completely perfect, no rattles or rubs, even without the tape. i am probably just gonna leave it un-taped for reversibility. also the silver trim ring isn't exactly a press-fit, but it does stay on the pod without any adhesive. i can see it maybe coming off during a very sharp turn or abrupt maneuver but until that happens, i rock it on at night and put it in the cupholder during the day. love this setup.

Last edited:

drdre1443

kenourios
Car(s)
GTI
I installed mine last night. It tooke me all of an hour and a half. I had no idea what I was doing. it helped that I had a neuspeed intake intake and and no engine cover on.

While removing the old tube next to the manifold, I found it was easy to snap off the old clamps by inserting a thin flathead screwdriver and turning it 90 degrees. This made them pop right off.

I did have to remove the battery parts to get the wire hanger through. I cut where the picture said to cut, and pushed the hanger through. It seemed to come into the footwell behind the brake pedal. I pulled back on some foam behind the pedals and the hanger was right there. I was then able to aim the hanger upwards towards the steering column and that took me all of 5 minutes. I was very worried that the fishing of the hanger would have taken the longest. Cutting the massively insulated dimmer wires took the longest for me.

My pod is pretty shitty. I had to sand down the hole to get the gauge to fit. I also will have to sand it down to keep it from rubbing the steering wheel. Shame on New South for this part. I love the gauge though. The lighting is just right for me.

My needle is right on at zero when the car is off, but I find that it reads 16Hg while the car warms up and it drops to 18-19Hg at idle. While coasting, it will read 20Hg dead on. While WOT, I have noticed that it gets to about 14 PSI.

Thank you for your Thread. It was a big help.

GTI.Valet

what fresh hell is this?
Car(s)
thumbs up to the OP for the write, it'll be great when i go to install mine.

question tho to people that have installed the column pod: the OP says the instructions say to take out some piece to hide the wire, while he just cut a hole in the leather. rather than take out a piece or cut into anything, would it be possible to use the area where the leather ends on either side. i mean, i'm tallish so my seat's far back and my column's out all the way, creating a gap on both sides of the leather. could i use these gaps to route the tubing? if anyone understood my rambling, help a brotha out. thanks.

GTI.Valet

what fresh hell is this?
Car(s)
ps, drdre, when you say it reads 20hg while coasting, do you still have your foot on the gas, or do you take it off completely? if your foots still on the gas, and reading in the negative, something's up.

plac

GTI Master
I'm having a bit of trouble with the NewSouth Boost gauge install.
I found the T fitting inside diameter to be a lot bigger than the stock VW pipe, what I have done is tighten the T-fitting using the clamps in the kit until it looks like it is tight.

When the car is idling, it reads about 20In Hg, but when driving, the needle moves between 20In Hg to 0psi, it never goes above 0psi.

Is this T-Fitting the problem? but if it is the problem, then how come it is still giving some sort of a reading?

KT

i dont think thats your problem. but i noticed the exact same thing. the hose they send is too big and doesnt tighten well at all.