GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reverse lights LED install

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Ok, got some 59-led reverse lights (bright white). Crazy bright lights but I can't get them installed and working. Tried them with a simple plug and play... no luck - light out indicator and no light on. Put a resistor on them and still no luck. Anyone know what size load equalizer I need for the reverse light?? Thanks to anyone who might know! I'm determined to make these work.

generic83

lol wheel spin
When i put LED reverse lights in my car i had to reverse the polarity. Take a brand new razor blade and carefully cut away the clip part that plugs into the light socket. Once that is done you can flip the plug and put it into the socket and it should work. Wear some thick gloves and dont cut yourself!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
wait a minute? .... cut the clip off that plugs into the light? And that works???? bulb out warning at all? I just might try this today! Thanks

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Holy crap, that worked like a charm. I cut off the connector with a small knife... flipped the polarity and the LEDs ignite!! Thanks for all your help!

generic83

lol wheel spin

3 Watt Luxeon LED 15mm Bayonet Based LED Bulbs

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I'll try to grab a picture of mine tomorrow... got them from a guy right here in MA... he was advertising them on eBay... 59-LED! They barely fit in the housing, but damn are they bright!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Backup light stock connection wrong polarity for LED

Just did mine a half hour ago. I had to flip the polarity on my backup light to get an LED lamp to work too. I released the primary pin lock and popped out the pins with a pin extraction tool. Swapped the pins in the connector (white on pin position 2 and brown on pin position 1). And yes, I have added a 25 watt load resistor to avoid bulb out errors.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
interesting... I just cut the plastic tabs off the connector... flipped it around and works like a charm, and no bulb out warnings! No resister needed!

McCrash_mkv

Pre-Tuned in Deutschland
Car(s)
08 UG GTI Euro Spec
Can anyone give me a clue for a Euro Spec GTI??

When I put reverse there's only ONE reverse light ON! is this normal on euro spec cars?

thanks

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
interesting... I just cut the plastic tabs off the connector... flipped it around and works like a charm, and no bulb out warnings! No resister needed!

Swapping the pins allows me to maintain the connector locking mechanism - it is still unmolested stock.

Apparently the LED bulb you used had enough curent draw to not require the resistor. :w00t:

Do you have any detail on the bulb you are using? like a link to the manufacturer's web site listing for the part?

I used the same lamp generic83 used. I did add a switched load to support a LED lamp in the right backup light.

I wanted to put the switch in the most logical place - very near the lamp socket that it is switching the load. One of the tail light housing mounting bolts is used to hold one leg of the switch mount. The switch and its mount sit slightly lower than the backup lamp socket. No interference with the trim or its mounting, fits in that space well. On the other hand, I did not want the resistor that close to the backup lamp, so it is a safe distance away, mounted on an inner panel with good air space to dissipate its 25w heat load.

A similar blind void exists in the rear hatch lid for mounting the resistor.
switch - resistor - splice

BTW For the backup light LED I used a 3 Watt Luxeon 1156 15mm Bayonet Base bulb - white - pn 1156-WLX3 from superbrightleds.com .
Description on the superbrightleds.com order page of the web site is 1156-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulb, the lower x is replaced by the color designator.

click on image for tech spec - 1156-xLX3 is 1st on the list