GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suggestion: New Rule for Classified Section

97C280

Stage 2
Not sure if there's already a rule placed but here's what I want to bring up.

I think that there should be a limit on the Classified section such as having a certain amount of posts and meber for a certain amount of days/weeks/month in order to post in the Classified.

I suggest this because recently there's been a huge commotion about scamming forum members that recently signed up just to "sell" items.

I'm sure many of you would agree..

I've been to forums where I had to have 60 Posts before posting in the Classified and I had to be a member for 1 Month.

Last edited:

ruffellprefley

get it?
Car(s)
08 GTI
but unless it's some ridiculous amount of posts, the scammer is going to just post "nice pics" in every pic thread to get the post count up.

just pay attention people!!!! look through the person's threads before you send them money. if they seem like a contributing member of the forum, you're probably fine.

it sucks that there are scammers out there, but IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT YOURSELF

Edgar

Made in Beanerland!!
In my last forum this was the rules to sell:

Always include a price in your thread. If you're selling a car you MUST include the asking price AND the VIN. Pics are always helpful.

NO Testing Waters (TW) Threads

Only 2 bumps per day

No Ebay Links To Stuff You're Selling- If you are selling something on ebay - fine. You don't need to post it on here, because the items on this forum are at a set price.

No Public Bid-Wars or Price Bashing! - Show common courtesy to the person that is selling their item. Do not reply to their post in a negative manner, with "I will sell anyone the same spoiler for $20.00 or less!". If you can offer it cheaper, start your own sale post. Don't encroach on another members sale post. That is thread jacking and is a warnable offense.

If these simple rules cannot be followed your thread/post will be deleted without notification.

No COMMERCIAL posting allowed! - The Sale Forums are for 8thcivic owners and enthusiasts to trade and sell parts among each other. All commercial posts will be deleted and user is subject to account ban!

The Sale forums are not for businesses to advertise or unload goods. If you post more than one of the same item for sale that is considered selling for profit and will not be permitted here. Any company interested in advertising their goods and services at 8thcivic should go through the proper channels to do so. And, please don't sell items that are not yours. (Example: "I'm selling this for a friend of mine")

Group Buys - Group Buys are considered commercial as well and ARE NOT allowed in Sale Forums, or any other area of the site.

New User Restriction New User Restriction - To protect our members from quick buck scammers, and to weed out commercial profit scrubs. you must have 31+ viable posts, and be a member for at least 45 days In order to sell or buy anything in the Marketplace. If we witness evidence of a new user spamming replies and posts just to get their post count up, they will be banned.

Post Your Price, NO Auction Type Sales! No 'Best Offer' Sales! - Running your sale like an auction is not acceptable in the Sale Forums. This is not EBAY - last we checked it was 8thcivic.com. We find this to be a highly dishonest form of selling. There is nothing stopping the seller from telling one member he/she got a higher offer through Private Messaging or Email, when they really didn't. So in short, you must list sale prices in your sale post! No further explanation needed. If you post an auction type sale, it will be removed and you will be flagged with a warning to your account.

Accepting deposits/payments - Due to complications stemming from past transactions we will not allow any transactions involving making payments, or deposits to hold an item from here on out. This is not only to protect the buyers from losing their hard-earned money in a sale gone awry, but also to protect the sellers from entering an agreement that could lead to more trouble than you possibly could’ve considered.

Rules put in place by the seller - You must have all the guidelines that pertain to the sale outlined in the first post when the thread is opened. Changing the rules of the sale after the thread has been started will lead to an immediate thread closure no questions asked. Yet again, this is to protect both the buyer and seller from ending up in a situation that is detrimental to both parties.

8th Generation Civic Parts, Accessories, Etc. ONLY - Items must be specifically usable on the 8th Generation Civic Models. Only 8thgen civic/6thgen Si models can be sold here. Mobile audio/video and radar detectors are ok. Game systems and laptop computers are NOT acceptable. No selling your Spider-Man comics or Barbie collection. Again, this is not Ebay!

Please try your best to be as descriptive as possible in your sale posts. Pictures are worth a thousand words as well.

In order to help the site staff stay on top of things, once your item or items have been sold, please report the original post by using this icon to let us know the items are sold so we can close the thread. Thanks.

Effective August 1, 2008:
Posting at least one accurate picture of good quality is required for each and every sale or trade. Along with an accurate description of everything you're selling and its condition, this picture must include a legible Sign with the following:
Your User Name
8thcivic.com
Today's Date

Example:

Digital watermarks or digitally inputting this information into your sale thread is NOT sufficient and may result in thread closure. If you do not include pictures, your thread WILL be closed and/or deleted. Compliant Pictures MUST be included upon creation of your sale thread or when initiating a possible trade in FT threads. Using someone else's photos is prohibited.

Must be separate and actually on a piece of paper, and no photoshop or paint text allowed on top of your picture

When a member is selling several items or multiple items like wheels are anything that goes in sets. Picture must be taken with each item by itself showing any damage

Each and every part/cable/component that comes with it is required to be in the photo(s). The exception to that rule would be if the item(s) clearly specify that it is "unopened and sealed from the factory".

Photo(s) must be included at initial time of posting. No, "I'll post a picture later" excuses

Post Subject Prefix - Try and use the following format to help people know your intent for posting. Start your post with the following codes in the Subject field to verify what your sale thread is about. If it is something general and the codes don't apply, just be sure to enter a good description in the subject.

FS: For Sale
WTB: Want to Buy
FT: For Trade Only
SOLD: Go back and edit your post later with this update if your item sells. This way people don't waste time viewing it if they aren't interested.

Examples of a good sale post's subject:
FS: Graphite 17" Wheels, slightly used
WTB: New or used APEXi SAFC

97C280

Stage 2
but unless it's some ridiculous amount of posts, the scammer is going to just post "nice pics" in every pic thread to get the post count up.

just pay attention people!!!! look through the person's threads before you send them money. if they seem like a contributing member of the forum, you're probably fine.

it sucks that there are scammers out there, but IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT YOURSELF

That's why I also suggested a certain amount of time of being a member before posting in the Classified.

ZoomBy

Go Kart Champion
a scammer is going to scam regaurdless...if i was out to scam someone i would join the board...become a member, make some online relationships..say im selling my car and am doing a big part out 6-12 months later, scam the hell out of all my "friends" and bounce from the site....post count and member time really isnt going to stop someone who is willing to scam you...

aGdTaIm

Ready to race!
I like the photo policy from Edgar's post. It should be mandatory to have a sign with your username, golfmkv.com, and the date in every picture. I think that alone would help the situation out alot.

Last edited:

97C280

Stage 2
a scammer is going to scam regaurdless...if i was out to scam someone i would join the board...become a member, make some online relationships..say im selling my car and am doing a big part out 6-12 months later, scam the hell out of all my "friends" and bounce from the site....post count and member time really isnt going to stop someone who is willing to scam you...

At least it's a precaution. It's not going to eliminate scammers, it wasn't the purpose. And yes, people can still scam another member if they join and wait till they're able to post, but it still makes it less likely for someone just sign up and sell something instantly.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I like the photo policy from Edgar's post. It should be mandatory to have a sign with your username, golfmkv.com, and the date in every picture. I think that alone would help the situation out alot.

x2

That's what I did when I was selling stuff on here a couple weeks ago

A member questioned it, but I think/thought it makes perfect sense....shows that they're "my" pictures at least!

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
This is a very good idea.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
why dont we have a "post pics" rule with a card (with your SN on it) next to the item of sale.

jdm forums have the rule and im sure they get scammed more than we do haha