GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

plug and play LEDs for city lights and license lights

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I discovered the Blesk / Maxlux LEDs when some VW owners in Europe posted about them - Brex buddy got them for me.

Use two of these in the license lights - total $26 shipped in US -
Plug and play - no resistor needed - simple bulb swap ...

The packaging is labeled Blesk, the bulb is labeled Maxlux

The information on the packaging is useless beyond its humor value :biggrin:

I bought the item pictured above in Sweden ($56 a pair shipped locally in Sweden - ouch!).

Good news for others in the US,
once I had them in hand, using the detail on the package to enhance my search,
I found the exact same product on eBay in the US!
(don't forget you need to buy 2 for license light bulbs - festoons are one per pack)
seller is akinaboy (aka HID Concepts)

I purchased one number plate light festoon from the eBay seller
to confirm it is the same product
as the Swedish sourced one pictured - they are exactly the same.

Suffice is to say, these Blesk / Maxlux LED bulbs are designed with whatever is needed
to satisfy the lamp out sensors on BMW, Mercedes Benz and Volvo.
Guess what - works for VW too :wink:

Blesk also makes a plug and play city light bulb,
even a better deal,
available from the same vendor for $15 a pair shipped.

Note: the wedge bulbs were a very snug fit in the city light socket.
That is a good thing, because the friction fit of the socket is all that keeps the bulb from dropping into the housing.
It took a little patience and lot of force to get the bulbs to seat.
Once inserted into the socket, they fit into the city light housing with no difficulty.

Took a couple of pics while I was swapping bulbs around.
Note, all pics within a set are all the same exposure to provide an accurate comparison of brightness and color changes.

42 draft designs LED (with external resistor) on left - stock incandescent on right

'42 draft designs LED (with external resistor) on left - Blesk LED on right

42 draft designs LED (with external resistor) in both

Blesk LED in both

Stock incandescent in passenger side - 3,400°K halogen incandescent in right

Stock incandescent in passenger side - Blesk LED drivers side

Blesk wedge bulbs in both city lights

install - stock bulb

install - 3,400°K halogen incandescent

install - Blesk

install Blesk - lit
its a good idea to test the LED before re-installing.
If it does not work, flip it over to reverse the polarity.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
thanks for posting pics up

i had already listed the ebay link for akinaboy in some of the other threads abt these bulbs. i haven't bought any yet but the funny thing is he changes his prices once in a while. usually only a dollar or so. so some weeks it's $12.99 other weeks it's $13.99 etc

if u look in the other threads, someone posted a direct email for the maker of the blesk/maxlux led's in korea. the poster is in HK and organised a group buy for ppl there. IIRC he got a price of US$7 each (not including shipping) not sure how much it was including shipping but i wouldn't imagine it to be a lot as u know they're pretty light.

however i think for a few bucks more it is easier just to buy them from ebay. unless someone really wants to do the whole world a service and organise a GB :)

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
nice! great write-ups on LEDs as usual. thanks :biggrin:

Are the blesk LEDs blue-ish at all? I like my LEDs to look more like LEDs rather than the bland hyper-white, or brighter-than-stock looking type bulbs that's why :iono: Since the blesk ones look more stock in the picture... that or the 42DD ones are really blue.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
do u have have pics of the car in the dark that show the ground as well?
i saw a pic the other day of LED's that light up the ground as well and that was way too much.
do these light that much? i wouldn't like them if they did.
and have u got pics of the blesk compared to stock? u only have the 42DD compared to stock and 42DD compared to blesk but no blesk vs stock. i was also thinking the same thing abt the blue tint vs the very white looking blesk

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
nice! great write-ups on LEDs as usual. thanks :biggrin:

Are the blesk LEDs blue-ish at all? I like my LEDs to look more like LEDs rather than the bland hyper-white, or brighter-than-stock looking type bulbs that's why :iono: Since the blesk ones look more stock in the picture... that or the 42DD ones are really blue.

Yes, the 42DDs are really blue, the Blesk festoons are whiter LEDs, between the 42DDs and stock but tending more toward blue.

The city lights are bluer than the license ligths and they are bluer than the HIDs.
I would estimate 6000°k.

I tried to photograph the HIDs and city lights together,
but the brightness difference makes it tough to show both the colors accurately.

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
thanks for providing more pics.
yes i can see that the blesk city light is indeed bluer than the HID.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
do u have have pics of the car in the dark that show the ground as well?

All of them actually, I just cropped them down.
While the Blesk were the brightest of the three, they were not overly bright.

i saw a pic the other day of LED's that light up the ground as well and that was way too much.
do these light that much? i wouldn't like them if they did.
and have u got pics of the blesk compared to stock? u only have the 42d compared to stock and 42d compared to blesk but no blesk vs stock. i was also thinking the same thing abt the blue tint vs the very white looking blesk

Nah, they don't light up the ground, I would have stuck with my trusty 42DDs if they did.
BTW When I added my external resistor for regular LED bulbs a while back, I made it switchable so I can disable the resistor when using the Blesks :wink:

Didn't shoot a Blesk - stock combo, but the pictures should be directly comparable.
Shot on tripod with cable release and manual exposure so the only thing varying is the bulb and my cropping.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Thanks! I'm just iffy about the Blesk ones because they look similar to my Polarg bulbs :frown:

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
All of them actually, I just cropped them down.
While the Blesk were the brightest of the three, they were not overly bright.

Nah, they don't light up the ground, I would have stuck with my trusty 42DDs if they did.
BTW When I added my external resistor for regular LED bulbs a while back, I made it switchable so I can disable the resistor when using the Blesks :wink:

Didn't shoot a Blesk - stock combo, but the pictures should be directly comparable.
Shot on tripod with cable release and manual exposure so the only thing varying is the bulb and my cropping.

thanks mate. i'm gonna get me some haha
no more umm-ing and ahh-ing abt it! :) akinaboy here i come! :thumbsup:

b-rye

DuBBiN like McLovin
Car(s)
BM GLI
i would assume that these lights would most likely fit on a GLI, can anyone confirm if they are the same socket type?