GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My BSH True Seal Intake Review

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
I recently had been having major problems with the car. It was all caused by the neuspeed intake and the BSH DV intake section. Thanks to BSH's excellent customer service, Phil hooked me up with a BSH True Seal intake to replaced the failed parts and WOW :thumbsup:

Install
Just like any other intake install. Went real fast since I already had the coupler on the turbo. It took me a second to stick the laser cut box in the engine bay, but once it was in, the hole lined up nicely and I bolted it down.

Sound
Sounds just like any other intake. I would place it somewhere between neuspeed intake with AEM filter and neuspeed intake with K&N filter. Loud, but not super loud.

Performance
Best. Intake. Ever. And I am very serious! The same day that I installed the intake, I drove 30 miles to Tysons Corner, VA for our weekly Capital Dubs meet. It was just below freezing. As soon as I arrived I popped my hood and put my hands on the pipe just before the filter -- cold...as in grabbing a can of soda out of the fridge cold. I put my hand above the exhaust manifold -- same thing...very cold. Lastly, I put my hands by the turbo itself -- take a guess...again it was very cold. Never have I had an intake that did this. Not even my full ghetto cold air intake I fabricated.

Data
I found some old log data from last janurary when I was testing the neuspeed vs stock intake. I looked up the weather data and did a log when it was the same temperature outside. Here is a graph of the neuspeed intake vs bsh intake vs stock intake.

:thumbup: is all I have to say! There is a major increase in air flow. BSH, you did it again.

I would highly recommend this intake. As a plus, this intake has a bung on it ready for a DV relocation! The kit comes with a cap for the bung for those who do not have recirc DV kits.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
When I first saw that graph I immediately assumed that the temperatures must have been drastically different - then I read it again. Wow.

I ordered one of these yesterday, very excited.

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Mines on the way as well... I'll be logging the hell out of it to see if it really does fix my issue. Wish it could have been here tomorrow, Saturday is the Dyno day... So i guess ill have a before and after dyno... however i dont know how fair it will be given the circumstances.

crew219

Banned
FWIW, Phil contacted me yesterday to talk about the issue with the MAF holder on his relocate kits. We came to a similar conclusion that it was either improperly sized (out of spec) or that the coupler section is too close to the MAF causing turbulence over the MAF.

There's really no other explanation for the differences in MAF between the two intakes. 2.75" piping flows the same no matter whose brand it is. Any of the 2.75" filter on a stick intakes can flow well beyond what's required for this engine.

Dave

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
Getting mine today. Will also be logging to see how it changes things. I'm extremely confident that it will take care of the MAF readings and fuel trim issues.

crew219

Banned
Wouldn't turbulent flow give much more erratic readings than we see in the plot from the OP?

Yes and no . . . it depends on the pattern of turbulence. I'm also not sure of what kind of rate the OP is using when logging. To my eyes, that looks like a non-"turbo" graph.

A lot of MAF holders, when separate from the intake tube, either have a taper or a screen that ensures laminar flow. Regardless, three people with timing pull and inconsistent MAF values . . . all three with the BSH maf holder with different intakes . . . there is something to that.

Dave

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
I'm also not sure of what kind of rate the OP is using when logging. To my eyes, that looks like a non-"turbo" graph.

They are all "turbo" graphs, but I log a lot at once.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Yes! Much better mileage. When fuel trims are high, it adds more fuel into the cylinder and trashes your mileage.

ard

Ready to race!
When I first saw that graph I immediately assumed that the temperatures must have been drastically different - then I read it again. Wow.

humidity?

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Probably near the same. I remember last year it was a dry day when I did the stock vs neuspeed. When I logged the BSH intake it was also dry outside.