GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uber Stealth Audio Review............GTI 10" Sub

nmcp1

Picked up one of Nik Brewer's custom sub boxes with the Elemental Design sq10.

http://www.freewebs.com/uber-stealth/

For now this review will only be about fit and finish as all my other components are still a while off. First off a big 👍 to Fedex for punching a hole in the shipping box. Luckily no harm no foul.

Upon first inspection and feel, this box is awesome! It's solid and extremely well put together. The finishing on the carpet is right on the money. No creases or sloppy folds.

Installation in the car couldn't be easier. Remove the left side tire surround and drop in the box. Didn't even have to remove the tire.

Here's the interface between the stock carpet and the box. The lip on the stock carpet sits right on top of the box. The material on the carpet is about as spot on as can be with regards to finish.

Detail of box at rear of car.

Detail shots of box fabricated around the seat hardware and unibody.

As stated on his website, this box is slightly taller than foam it replaces due to the 10" sub. Ultimately I'm going to raise up the other side to make them even, but as you'll see below once the mats are in place you can't really tell.

In this picture you can see how well the box fits with the rear seat in the upright position.

Detail of rear hold downs with standard mat in place.

Detail of rear hold downs with standard mat and Gorilla Gear mat in place.

View from back seat with seat back folded down. That's stealth! 👍

All buttoned up.

I've been driving the car around for 2 days now with the sub in the back and haven't heard signs of movement from the sub at all.

I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. Nik has made one of those products that if you weren't in the know you would swear this thing came straight from the factory. Can't wait to get this thing all hooked up.

Great Product...........Great Service........and I'm sure glad I got in at the bottom because I see these things really taking off. 👍

Thanks Nik! http://www.freewebs.com/uber-stealth/

Last edited:

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
just a point of curiosity, how far recessed is the sub from the top baffle? i am looking at it and wonering if you get any slapping from the surround/cone hitting the rubber underside of hte mat at all?

:)

b

97C280

Stage 2
just a point of curiosity, how far recessed is the sub from the top baffle? i am looking at it and wonering if you get any slapping from the surround/cone hitting the rubber underside of hte mat at all?

:)

b

I believe in his post he said he's been driving around with the box for a few days and he hasn't heard of any movements from the box.

OP: What amp and how are you going to be mounting it? And are you running the stock deck?

Last edited:

jboz

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI + Touareg
Even if there is no contact with the mat, I would be a bit scared of damaging the driver without a grill for some protection.

nmcp1

I do plan on adding a grill just for some piece of mind. If worse comes to worse, I'll add some kind of spacer between the box and the mats which should also give the sub more air to move.

OP: What amp and how are you going to be mounting it? And are you running the stock deck?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to run the stock HU and stock speakers. Going to use a Blaupunkt Plug and Play harness wired to a PIE Line out converter and into an Apline PDX-5 amp that will be mounted under the drivers seat. Tha amp speaker outputs will then go back to that harness.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63390

I know that the PDX-5 is too powerful, but it's the only 5 channel amp that will fit under the seat. I want to keep the installation as simple as possible and running 2 amps just complicates things.:thumbsup:

BOz

Keep right except to pass
Car(s)
08' MKv GTI
looks great.. wondering how good it sounds.. :thumbsup:

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
i will be offering a new floor with a grill machined in, and a vent if you have an amp rack. People are runnng it with the cover with no problems, but i want to offer this as an option. i will also be working on a down firing one as well

james.bigouette

Officially boring
i will be offering a new floor with a grill machined in, and a vent if you have an amp rack. People are runnng it with the cover with no problems, but i want to offer this as an option. i will also be working on a down firing one as well

i am going to wait for the new boxes...i know you have PMd me a few times. price isnt a big deal. no matter what it still probably wouldn't be as much as the JL stealth enclosure. Amazing fit and finish. kudos:thumbsup:

modena

No Shame, and Rebel too..
Car(s)
VW Golf MKV
Looks great, mine is in the works at Nik,
Had to go for 8 inch sins the box needs to fit in the "R"

Did order the box with room for 2 8inchers.

BTW 2 8's is that more cone space and more sound...?

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
For anyone interested, these boxes are constantly eveolving. i have not made 2 identical ones. If you have an idea, or want something different, no prob as i build them one at a time

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
i honestly feel the pioneer 8 hits as good as the sq10, or it did in my xb. they are just pricy unless you order online or ebay

modena

No Shame, and Rebel too..
Car(s)
VW Golf MKV
i honestly feel the pioneer 8 hits as good as the sq10, or it did in my xb. they are just pricy unless you order online or ebay

That's what I did on your earlier advise:)
got them for 65 a piece and 12$ shipping.
Thanks again, waiting when the box ready....