GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uber Stealth Audio Review............GTI 10" Sub

L4rry_B1rd

4021/5000
Car(s)
2008 R32
Oh wow! I remember your enclosures when I had an xB... Glad to see your doing stuff for dubs. If I dont ever get around to glassing something, this looks like a great alternative :clap:

nmcp1

i installed the sub today and it sounds pretty darn good. even the install guys were surprised at how good the lil sub hit. Also they couldn't stop commenting on the high quality of the box and asked if they made any for mazda speed3's and wrx's lol

i referred them to your site nik

kimchi29,

What's your setup? Curious to see what others are running with nik's box.

nmcp1

This bad boy is going to run extremely neutered on the stock speakers!

Alpine PDX-5 Birth Sheet.jpg

I guess it's time to start speaker shopping!

Last edited:

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
wow, please keep ti turned down on the sq10 as well, as it only wants 200-250 rms, or it will bottom on the spider and kill the cone

V0LK5W4G3N

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 Black Rabbit
How do u install it? Other than placing it in the car, how do u actually connect it to your audio system??

nmcp1

Well after weeks of waiting my system is up and running and I couldn't be happier! Between the stock speakers getting a much needed boost in power along with the bass fill from the sub the system now sounds worlds better.

A little refresher as to what I'm running:

Stock HU
Blaupunkt PnP harness (speaker harness's cut and new speaker wire soldered)
PIE Line Output Converter w/ amp trigger (above harness has switched hot wire fed into the PIE LOC, no need to go to fuse panel)
Alpine PDX-5 Amp

I guess a little warning for the sub is in order for those looking to rattle your car to pieces. This thing is not meant to do that. In my case that's not what I was looking for. I just wanted something that would fill in the much needed base from the stock system.

Now my only problem is when it comes to tuning the amp I'm a total idiot. I have a basic understanding of how the crossover settings and gain settings work, but I don't want to blow anything up. I know the amp is barley being pushed at the moment, so until I can get some more info regarding exactly how much wattage is being fed to the sub and the stock speakers I'll just keep it turned down for now.

For those worried about the sub hitting the rear cover here's my findings. I set the system up to the point where I was happy with the output and placed a 1" wide 18ga piece of steel across the center of the sub and just made sure the sub didn't hit the steel. (Very scientific I know) I'm fairly certain that it will be fine as it is, but just as a measure of precaution I used some leftover 4ga wire and placed it around the diameter of the sub under the cover. This also gives the sub a little more air to move as well which is always a plus. For now between the 4ga wire and the rigidity of the stock cover I'm not going to use a grill. I'll see how it works out after a couple of weeks.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the outcome. My main goal was to have a system that is completely stealth and this solution fit that bill exactly. Kudos to Nik for making that possible!:thumbsup:

http://www.freewebs.com/uber-stealth/

acunje

VWVWWVWVW
Car(s)
2009 Candy White 2dr
also... is there a way to only run aux for the sub amp rather than a whole different amp for the speakers and sub?

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
MOUNTING DEPTH IS 3.25", ONLY OTHER SUBS THAT FIT ARE THE PIONEE SHALLOW MOUNT 8" AND 10". I COULD GET THE SONY SLIM LINE, BUT AIR SPACE WOULD BE TIGHT.

I dont understand you question about an amp. you have to run some sort of amp to power the sub, no way to use the stock amp

nmcp1

also... is there a way to only run aux for the sub amp rather than a whole different amp for the speakers and sub?

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I think your asking is if you can run only an amp for the sub and leave the rest of the speakers running off the HU?

If that's the case then the answer is yes. You would need to "tap/intercept" the rear speaker wires either behind the HU or at the rear speakers and feed those to a mono amp. Either way you still have to run power from the battery to your amp.

Originally that was my plan, but after reading reviews on how much better the stock speakers sounded with more power I decided to go for the 5channel amp instead.