GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waywell WD6050 Multimedia/GPS Head Unit Info thread

Cosmo

chillin'
soze/kv12/bazzle:

1220 by 234 seems like a really odd resolution for iGO 8. When you upgraded to v8.3.2, what did you set your resolution to in your sys.txt file? Does the Waywell unit horizontally stretch the 400x240 resolution or does it actively support 1220x234?

Has anyone figured out a way to skin the non-iGO screens? Alternately, has anyone added a front-end to the NAV on the SD card to add more WinCE applications?

Last edited:

Cosmo

chillin'
Hey guys, I just orderd this unit for my GTI and the Hyudai Santa fe unit for my wifes suv. They are asking me what sofware I want for nav. It seems like most are going with IGO 8. Any reason? Seems like TomTom in the US is the biggest name brand of the options. I have a garmin nuvi now and love it. (Hated my old magellan) Any suggestions/reasoning?

I need to let them know asap what I want.

Thanks
Dave

It's mostly personal preference. iGO8 v8.3.2 uses navteq maps, has some really nice additional features and many users have developed customized skins. IIRC, the other two (and the 8.0 version of iGO8) all use teleatlas maps. While some will always disagree, most seem to believe that the navteq maps are superior. Your nuvi uses navteq maps.

I believe that someone posted that the SD card comes with iGO8 v8.0, so you'll have to find a way to upgrade it if you want v8.3.

I would definitely look around on some GPS forums and take a close look at all three programs. That should help you decide which one you prefer.

dsn112@comcast.net

Ready to race!
It's mostly personal preference. iGO8 v8.3.2 uses navteq maps, has some really nice additional features and many users have developed customized skins. IIRC, the other two (and the 8.0 version of iGO8) all use teleatlas maps. While some will always disagree, most seem to believe that the navteq maps are superior. Your nuvi uses navteq maps.

I believe that someone posted that the SD card comes with iGO8 v8.0, so you'll have to find a way to upgrade it if you want v8.3.

I would definitely look around on some GPS forums and take a close look at all three programs. That should help you decide which one you prefer.

Cool thanks, Im going with iGO, it sounds like its good. For mine it will be easy to upgrade as its an sd card, the hyundai unit however doesn't mention how it loads the software. Ill figure it out.

Cosmo

chillin'
The hard part isn't loading the upgrade. The hard part is finding/buying the upgrade, or finding an alternate means to acquire and load the SW.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a chinese knock-off stereo probably doesn't come with a licensed version of any of those three nav programs for $15. You probably won't be able to hit a company web site and buy an upgrade to the next release. I could be wrong, though. I'm just guessing...

kv12

Ready to race!
olegg: Luckily no. It was marked as a $100 car radio (It was packed in a really shitty looking box, once you open the box it is actually really properly and securely packaged)

For North America (US and Canada)

Best Use iGo8 Version 8.3.2.7XXX (It's Known as the iG08 R3, This version was just released find a place which sells it then buy it! or go on google and search for "ppcwar" that's all I have to say.)

Why? iGo8 R3 uses the aforementioned Naviteq maps and it's quite a bit more accurate for North America. The latest map updates to my knowledge is 2008 Q2.

I have been tweeking the Gorjun Skin for iGo 8 to better fit the Waywell as well as some updated day color schemes I will soon post up as soon as I've done all the testing.

The Front End:
As far as modifying the front end interface such as the radio or the SD card menus, we will need some sort of source code or an SDK. possiblly some sort of boot loader so we can copy the modified GUI onto a DVD or CD then have it autoinstall on bootup... very similar to how you update most firmwares on a tipical WinCE enviroment.

xscott

Just a quick question on the WD6050: After finally getting iGO8 up and running, i've gone back out to my car, and now when ever i push the NAVI button, I just get a black screen.

I've removed the SD card while in nav mode, no luck
I've pushed the reset button, no luck
I've started the HU with no GPS card in, no luck

Not even the regular red/black screen comes up, its just black. The unit doesnt seem to respond at all.

I'm starting to worry its faulty. Is there anything else i can try? I'd rather not have to get everything out again just to disconnect it for ~30 minutes. Any suggestions are welcome!!

olegg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
Guys, how is the overall speed of the unit? I read somewhere that when you scroll names the phone book its very slow.

Also when you, let say, listening music from dvd mp3 and using navigation, what happen when some one call you? his name appear on screen?

I would appreciate if someone shoot little video of the unit in work....

DaveOZ

Ready to race!
Switching modes is fast. Scrolling songs in iPod mode is slow, damn slow. Although it is very fast when you use the hard next/previous buttons.

You can be playing MP3 and flick between Nav and song selection in an instant using the NAVI button. When a call comes in it pauses the song and flicks to BT screen.

No vid cam here but I will try to do some vids tomorrow.

olegg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
Thanks, How fast scrolling names in bluetooth phone book?

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
I've been running this unit for a few weeks now and was lucky enough to pick it up for $380, before they jacked up the price. I've replaced/relocated the bluetooth microphone. The inbuilt microphone is just okay, people will be able to hear you, but you will sound very distant to them and like you're in a cave. It's usable but only just. Perhaps it works a bit better in a left-hand drive car as the microphone would be just that little bit closer? I purchased a more sensitive microphone about three times the size of the original (AU $2.30) and mounted it in the OEM position (near the map lights), ran the wire through the head lining, up the A-pillar, and across to the head unit. The front panel of the head unit comes off very easily, and if you're competent with pulling electronic items apart, have a fine tipped soldering iron, and know how to solder properly it's not that daunting. If you've never soldered before don't experiment on your new car stereo! After doing this little mod the person you're calling will have know idea you're even on handsfree - it sounds that good!

Here's a few other answers...

soze/kv12/bazzle:

1220 by 234 seems like a really odd resolution for iGO 8. When you upgraded to v8.3.2, what did you set your resolution to in your sys.txt file? Does the Waywell unit horizontally stretch the 400x240 resolution or does it actively support 1220x234?

Has anyone figured out a way to skin the non-iGO screens? Alternately, has anyone added a front-end to the NAV on the SD card to add more WinCE applications?

You need a skin which works at 480x234. I could only find two which had this resolution and would work with version 8.0 I have to use version 8.0 as there are no compatible maps for version 8.3 for Australia (so far).

I've tried a program called WolfNCU (it's Korean). There is an english translation out there - sorry don't have the links any more. I loaded it from the SD car by telling the unit it was the nav software. It enables you to run other windows CE programs, have a desktop type environment etc. The main reason I tried it was to see if I could access the lower level stuff, but since I didn't know what I was doing I couldn't. I'm sure if someone knows what they're doing with windows CE they'd be able to get further.

Guys, how is the overall speed of the unit? I read somewhere that when you scroll names the phone book its very slow.

Also when you, let say, listening music from dvd mp3 and using navigation, what happen when some one call you? his name appear on screen?

Speed of the unit is fine. The phonebook feature is next to useless, it loads in about five numbers, then when you scroll off the bottom it takes another few seconds to load in the next 5 numbers. To top it off the names aren't in alphabetical order! You definately need to dial from your phone. When a call comes in it pauses whatever's happening (satnav keeps going in the background) switches to bluetooth mode and displays the incoming number, but not their name. Not displaying the name seems like a bit of an oversight. This is using a Nokia 6500 phone, maybe others work differently?

Scrolling songs in iPod mode is slow, damn slow. Although it is very fast when you use the hard next/previous buttons.

I found iPod navigation to be about the same as using the actual iPod, but then mine's an older generation iPod.