GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waywell WD6050 Multimedia/GPS Head Unit Info thread

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
A LOC is a Line Out Converter, its used to take a speaker level signal (what the stock HU or the Waywell unti outputs) and drop it down to a line level signal (what most aftermarket amps expect).

I have an Alipine MRP-F250 (40W 4-channel amp) and an MRP-M350 (200W sub amp) that I want to use to add a sub to the trunk and to re-amplify the stock speakers (which I'll eventually replace). The decision is, do I buy the Waywell and a LOC, or do I eschew the bling and buy something like the Alpine iDA-X100 since I mostly want good iPod integration. I'd also like good BlueTooth for handsfree phone, but it sounds like the WayWell isn't that great for handsfree phone either...

You know, I was also worried about the quality of the mic on the unit, and I know some people have had problems. WHen I tested mine out with some people I know.... they seem to be able to hear me just fine. THere was an instance where the other person couldn't really hear me that well, but that was in an area where my reception was spotty. So... I don't know what to think since most people say they can hear me ok. I'm probably just going to leave it as is, and not mess with the mic.

Cosmo

chillin'
A few of the owners from down under have apparently replaced the internal mic with an external one run to the OEM location. However, the process involves removing a circuit board and using a soldering iron to remove the internal mic and attach new wires to the circuit board pads.

Probably not something for anyone scared of a soldering iron, but worth mentioning for those willing to take a hot iron to something they just dropped $550 on.

kv12

Ready to race!
You know, I was also worried about the quality of the mic on the unit, and I know some people have had problems. WHen I tested mine out with some people I know.... they seem to be able to hear me just fine. THere was an instance where the other person couldn't really hear me that well, but that was in an area where my reception was spotty. So... I don't know what to think since most people say they can hear me ok. I'm probably just going to leave it as is, and not mess with the mic.

I agree with Soze on this one, I've had people call me on my phone connected to the Waywell's bluetooth and it sounds perfect, I can hear the other party and they can hear me. The phone pairs quickly as well (I guess becuase my phone is running on WM6 and the Waywell is on CE5 so both are Microsoft related.)

kpilidis

Passed Driver's Ed
if i order the unit with dvb-t function i can receive and analog tv channels or only digital channels?

so, can anyone tell if the dvb-t is useful or useless ???

V0LK5W4G3N

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 Black Rabbit
does anybody know of a complete install DIY?

i know how to disassemble and take the stock radio out, im just completely clueless when it comes to the wireing thanks!

kv12

Ready to race!
I didn't take these pics I just post them. (NOTE: If you have a tray rather then a vent, skip the steps for vent removal and just follow these steps... 1. Find somthing to carefully pry out the rubber mats lining the tray. 2. Remove 1 torx T-20 screw in the upper center. 3. Then carefully pry out.)

1. Pry out these pieces with an old credit card or using the tool shown.

2a. Then proceed to remove this center vent.

2b. If you have climatronic sensor then unplug it. if not just proceed to next step.

3. Use a torx wrench to remove this T-20 screw.

4. Remove the center vent duct.

5. Remove these T-20 Torx screws

6. Pull upwards with some force to remove this piece. This piece is the hardest to remove, and when you have removed it it will be attached to a harness but you don't have to remove the harness... just set this piece aside with the Harness attached.

7. Remove these screws from each side of the bezel.

8. Gently remove the bezel or you might break some tabs.

9. Remove 4 screws which holds in the OEM radio

10. Slide out the radio as shown.

11. Unplug the radio.

To install just reverse these steps. Looks like alot of steps but this process takes about 15-20 minutes from uninstalling the old one to installing the Waywell. Good luck!

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I just thought I would caution everyone about working directly with Waywell. I have just had an incredibly negative experience with them.

I ordered a radio from them several weeks ago, at a much lower price. Apparently they lost the order, and since then they have been fumbling around on their 2 week long new years vacation.

I finally got in touch with a different sales rep (the original sales rep, Amy, is apparently still on vacation) who is now demanding that I pay the difference between the price a few weeks ago ($400) and the price now ($540).

I will post updates as they become available, but the sales people at this company seem shady as hell.

kalkanprince

i

Can anyone help, my waywell was working a dream but now the GPS wont work for love or money - Anyone any tips? could the receiver have broken already?!

kv12

Ready to race!
It happened to me as well, all you need to do is eject your GPS SD card.

you will then see a custom red/black Windows CE interface.

Scroll left and right until you see a GPS icon and then click on it.

Then click "reset GPS" wait for the bar to complete (about 6 seconds)

re-insert the GPS card and re-launch the GPS program.

It should work, but if it doesn't then just pull out the car key then plug it back in and turn half way(Or you can start the car) then the GPS should work again.

dsn112@comcast.net

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I just orderd this unit for my GTI and the Hyudai Santa fe unit for my wifes suv. They are asking me what sofware I want for nav. It seems like most are going with IGO 8. Any reason? Seems like TomTom in the US is the biggest name brand of the options. I have a garmin nuvi now and love it. (Hated my old magellan) Any suggestions/reasoning?

I need to let them know asap what I want.

Thanks
Dave