GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waywell WD6050 Multimedia/GPS Head Unit Info thread

kv12

Ready to race!
I have been getting some PM's regarding iGO8 issues. so I've made a rough guide so you guys can see what files you might be missing.

For iGO8 to work properly the only folders you could leave empty referring diagram above;
"Save" Folder (It will usually populate as you save settings)
"Custom" Folder (Somehow it's always empty...)
"Phoneme" Folder (Optional Localized pronunciation files)
"Speedcam" Folder (If you have custom speed cam locations here's where you put them... if not keep it empty. one file will automotically populate itself there)
"Skin" Folder (If you are using the default GUI nothing needs to be here... If you are using the GJ skin this is where it goes.)
"Extension" Folder (However you must have stuff this folder as shown if you are using the GJ6.0 skin)
Make sure you have all the essential stuff in every other folders not listed above.

Since so many people are using igo8 with thier WD6050 and AVCs I think more people will be interested in further customizing thier units... so here's a very very basic guide to making your own skin for iGO8.

Last edited:

Mehdi

Wow looks like a good looking unit!!! congrats!! and great thread you started here!!

Thanks to you am leaning towards buying one now but can you tell us something about the sound quality please. If it s the same as the stock one then I dont think it s worth it. Am a novice when it comes to car audio and stuff but shall I pay particual attention to antennas?? Do I have to have two, one for FM the other for the GPS?

Thanks for your assistance in advance

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
WD6050

The device comes with it's own GPS antenna. It's likely you actually have two AM/FM antennas and will need to join them to get the best sound quality. If you are (very) lucky and happen to have a GPS antenna in your car already, you should be able to use it. The GPS antenna that comes with the unit is good, no complaints.

Y

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
mine arrives today!!! so i can add some comments too. Also, if anyone is wantign one, PM me and i can help you get one slightly cheaper ( i paid 450$ shipped)

Bonillan

Ready to race!
Question regarding the full can-bus support. Does anyone know if it will automatically turn on a rear view camera when reverse is selected or would I have to wire it into the reversing lights somehow?

ClockworkPenguin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
This is an odd question, but the one thing I'd like to know that's holding me back from ordering these--I've heard the build quality's good, but how well does it match up to OEM? Specifically, how well does the black plastic area match the rest of the dash's?

If it matches really well, I might just pull the trigger on one of these in a few weeks.

whoyeah

Hye I ordered one of these last monday the 23rd and have been in contact with Fish Lee? Anyone else working with him? How long has it taken for your guys unit to ship. And how long after it shipped did you receive it. I am just wondering because they have been saying mine hasnt shipped yet but "MAYBE" it will fri? Wonder if they are out of stock or what. But from sounds of it-it might be like 3-4 weeks until I receive it? You guys have this time as well? If so-so be it but kinda sounds like they are out of stock and waiting on shipment.....TIA

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
WD6050 ordering & rear camera

I also got mine from Fish Lee, he quickly give me a DHL tracking number within 24 hours and it took about 4 or 5 days to get to the US. Mine originated from Hong Kong. Apparently they are working on a new version of the device, if this is true, you may be lucky and get the new version.

I am going to be testing this rear-view camera port, because I am not sure how it works. Next time I open up my dash again to install the radio antenna adapter, I will be connecting a video camera to the camera in wire and testing it out. It may be that it just changes to rear display when it gets a video signal (assuming you connect the camera power to the rear white lights). I do want to test this before getting a camera.

To answer the question about WD6050 matching the dash, it's perfect. I could really not ask for more as far at matching the rest of the car. It really looks like an OEM head unit. The looks of it and the excellent iGO8 software are probably the two best things about this unit. Of course, it's packed with features. I really like being able to update the mapping software myself. If you have not seen it, I posted a Youtube video here.

y

audiphile

Old Man
we should rename this thread. Waywell is just a distributer, I think the following sites actually point to the factory:

http://www.szlsqbusiness.com/products.asp?typeid=61

http://www.lsqbusiness.com/product.asp?catalog=67&catalogs=special+brand+car+dvd

Looks like they have 3 or 4 different models that would fit our cars. the MT/ST 6501 (AKA wd6050) looks like the new RNS-510 units but doesn't have the USB that ST-8804 has, instead opting for ipod.

Anyway, worth contacting these guys directly see if you can get them cheaper. I'm tempted to buy them all and see which one works best...

ClockworkPenguin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
The more I look at this unit, the more it looks like a slightly different version of the RNS-510 that Volkswagen now offers. It's either a nearly flawless copy (with several modifications such as the inputs in the bottom) or manufactured by the same source company (As VW, like other automakers, surely sources their components from third-party manufacturers). Perhaps, whoever the actual manufacturer is (that is, not the company selling them but the company that actually owns the factories) does manufacture the RNS-510 too, but can't sell that exact unit under license, if it's as perfect a match to OEM quality as many people say.

In any case, I know what I'm going to be getting when my income tax check comes in, even though I've, uh...never installed a head unit before. And am positively mortified at the thought of opening my dash up to install it. It just seems so worth it though.

Froster

Passed Driver's Ed
In any case, I know what I'm going to be getting when my income tax check comes in, even though I've, uh...never installed a head unit before. And am positively mortified at the thought of opening my dash up to install it. It just seems so worth it though.

No need to be mortified. Its really not all that hard. Just take a look at one of the many DIYs here, and be cautious while you are doing it. I've had mine apart maybe half a dozen times, and it has not been a problem at all.

MoparShaha

Ready to race!
The more I look at this unit, the more it looks like a slightly different version of the RNS-510 that Volkswagen now offers. It's either a nearly flawless copy (with several modifications such as the inputs in the bottom) or manufactured by the same source company (As VW, like other automakers, surely sources their components from third-party manufacturers). Perhaps, whoever the actual manufacturer is (that is, not the company selling them but the company that actually owns the factories) does manufacture the RNS-510 too, but can't sell that exact unit under license, if it's as perfect a match to OEM quality as many people say.

I believe the RNS-510 is made somewhere in Eastern Europe.

rocshaus

Got GTI?
DAMN! i really want this unit, but it seems that you need to be a rocket scientist to load up the gps data! Anyone want to put a write up together for us regular (non-programmer) folks? thank you all. This is a great thread btw. Just one more thing... so does it or does it not have pre-amp outputs?