GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using the USP hi-flow LPFP: with or without the hi-flow control module?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So!
Well...$#!@T! This is going to be an uneventful weekend. While out at Techtonics Tuning for a file change for my tune...They noticed a bolt missing from my HPFP. Then I found the missing bolt but couldn't reinstall it due to..."wait for it"...it's stripped. Then while explaining that I had already done a heli-coil on this one other bolt...I discovered that one too was stripped...so now there is only one left because three hold it on. Then!...!!!!...I noticed that even though that final bolt does hold the hpfp on...there is a crack in the chain tensioner cover where that final bolt is...so no point in trying to heli-coil any of it and hope...I need another chain tension cover listed at over $800usd...but I can get a deal at $625.
unsure emoticon
On the good news side is...maybe this has all along been the issue with why stock fuel pressures are requested by the ECU lately, but even that doesn't make sense because all along the actual pressures have been exceeding the requested. Going to get this repaired and see what the pressures look like...again!

Damned thing looked like it was hit on its side with a hammer or something?!?!?! Has not been this way for long because just had it off a month ago. :iono: It still is hanging on, but barely...and it's still sealed as far as the oil goes.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So!
Well...$#!@T! This is going to be an uneventful weekend. While out at Techtonics Tuning for a file change for my tune...They noticed a bolt missing from my HPFP. Then I found the missing bolt but couldn't reinstall it due to..."wait for it"...it's stripped. Then while explaining that I had already done a heli-coil on this one other bolt...I discovered that one too was stripped...so now there is only one left because three hold it on. Then!...!!!!...I noticed that even though that final bolt does hold the hpfp on...there is a crack in the chain tensioner cover where that final bolt is...so no point in trying to heli-coil any of it and hope...I need another chain tension cover listed at over $800usd...but I can get a deal at $625.
unsure emoticon
On the good news side is...maybe this has all along been the issue with why stock fuel pressures are requested by the ECU lately, but even that doesn't make sense because all along the actual pressures have been exceeding the requested. Going to get this repaired and see what the pressures look like...again!

Damned thing looked like it was hit on its side with a hammer or something?!?!?! Has not been this way for long because just had it off a month ago. :iono: It still is hanging on, but barely...and it's still sealed as far as the oil goes.

If you are so inclined now would be a good time to buy the kit that gets rid of the FSI flat cam follower and lets you move on to the TSI roller follower since you have to buy a new cover anyway. Kit of course comes with a new one.

There was some concern expressed by a few of the most knowlegable folks on the forum when I installed the kit. The kit has been on my car (APR pump) for almost 2 years now and the concerns have not come to fruition. Plenty of street driving and 4 track days still working just fine.

You won't be pulling your fuel pump periodically to change cam followers which can lead to the problem you currently have.

If on the other hand you want a eurocar stud kit I have one I never used, Be happy to donate it to your cause if you would rather go that route.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
If you are so inclined now would be a good time to buy the kit that gets rid of the FSI flat cam follower and lets you move on to the TSI roller follower since you have to buy a new cover anyway. Kit of course comes with a new one.

There was some concern expressed by a few of the most knowlegable folks on the forum when I installed the kit. The kit has been on my car (APR pump) for almost 2 years now and the concerns have not come to fruition. Plenty of street driving and 4 track days still working just fine.

You won't be pulling your fuel pump periodically to change cam followers which can lead to the problem you currently have.

If on the other hand you want a eurocar stud kit I have one I never used, Be happy to donate it to your cause if you would rather go that route.

It is excellent kit, I have it on my MKV long time ago and car performs well and I am not worry about the cam follower inspection anymore.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Well, I ordered the cover yesterday...found one for $500. Probably can't get the kit minus the cover. Hard to find this guys parts...all I have is this: http://iabedindustries.com/. I am interested in the stud kit though. PM me with details how I could get yours please...was going to order them today. Thanks GIACUser

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Good luck I hope that's your problem. As for your engine codes, a few of those occur because of the new LPFP, I picked up the one from unitronic. Honestly, an upgraded LPFP is not necessary for KO4 and below and just causes issues with diagnosis of problems. I'm glad I installed in now that I'm going bigger, but it's been a pain in my ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I think I am sticking with the oem lpfp from now on. I now have a USP high-flow(not their TTRS) LPFpump. I got the chain-tension cover today. I have to say...it does not look new...and that just might pi$$ me off. There's oil coming from tight spots, it wasn't wrapped in any packaging, there's scuffed and lightly gouged marks along the mating face of the head, and appears generally used but cleaned on the outside. I left a review @ Europa parts...but will likely not be shared due to moderation. Installing it tomorrow :iono:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I returned the first cover bought online, because; see pics, and bought a new oe cover and installed it instead. I also installed the hpfp stud kit provided by GIACUser...that does not look to be a fun cam follower replacement project for the future...but we'll see. I can cut 1cm from the studs if necessary to make it a bit easier later on...and then there's the LP hose. I am giving it a week before I look at new data to see if the pressure has changed because of it all. Will follow up then...

pitting on the cam follower race:

damage on the vacuum pump mating surface:

damage on the engine mating surface:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
How you dealing with the low pressure hose? I'm thinking just disconnect it...no big deal, right? So far I haven't found it troubling.

Just had someone from Kenya wanting to buy my hi-flow USP LPFP....told them I decided to keep it...and marked it sold :paddle:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Europa had the chain tension cover for $500...but they are damaged and used. Or as they put it "removed from new engines on the factory line" ←head-scratcher, still...no way was it new. Dealer was $625 at a reduced price.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Europa had the chain tension cover for $500...but they are damaged and used. Or as they put it "removed from new engines on the factory line" ←head-scratcher, still...no way was it new. Dealer was $625 at a reduced price.

Denis has a cover for sale on forum for 150 shipped.
Link

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I thought about used, but with the number of times I messed with the hpfp, prior to the stud kit, I wanted fresh threads on the cover.

With Austin and Alex now gone from GIAC...I just hope GIAC will still work on my track only tunes. Otherwise, I will return to DM tunes. But still need to get the rail fuel pressure to request more than 109.9bar.