GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports stage 1 tune. Short term review.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've had my UM stage 1 tune for 3 days now. This will be a quick review of what I think up to this point.

First off the price, $499, personally is the main reason I picked this tune, Apr Stage 2 now costs $750 if you don't have their downpipe.

The good so far,
The boost pressure is higher than what I seen with my old mkv with a Apr stage 2, I peak at 23.5 and hold at 21, at the end of the rpm range boost only drops to 16 psi as to where the Apr peaked at 18 and held at 16, then at red line dropped all the way to 10psi.

My 0-60 is now 5.4 (hand timed) spinning hard through 1st, and most of the way through second.

Stock it was 6.5, also hand timed, so over a second difference.

The Mpg so far is about mile and a half a gallon better than before. May be some placebo effect in this one, but I live in town, and have a heavy foot which hasn't changed, I've gone from 16mpg in town to 18.5mpg, Hwy is 26 mpg to 27mpg.

My only mods to this point are the tune and a eBay downpipe.

Now the bad,
The tune is definitely richer than the Apr stage 2, upon deacceleration after a hard pull, once it down shifts into 2nd, I get a nice bug puff of smoke through the exhaust.

Also upon deacceleration I sometimes get a pop through the exhaust. Not necessarily a back fire just a nice pop as if I had my old 5.0 back.

Neither of these things happened with my Apr tune.

My bottom line, I can tell this tune feels more aggressive and should last me a while before I think about upgrading it.
I like it as of now, and with colder weather coming my gti should feel stronger than ever.

I have a stock 1/8 drag strip time of 9.63 I hope that drops to a 8.90s or so, just as long as I'm in the 8s. But I won't find that out until next weekend when I go back to the drag strip.

Thanks for listening guys.
Ricky.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
My 0-60 is now 5.4 (hand timed) spinning hard through 1st, and most of the way through second.

Now the bad,
The tune is definitely richer than the Apr stage 2, upon deacceleration after a hard pull, once it down shifts into 2nd, I get a nice bug puff of smoke through the exhaust.

Also upon deacceleration I sometimes get a pop through the exhaust. Not necessarily a back fire just a nice pop as if I had my old 5.0 back.

Those "bad" things sound like good :) Better rich than lean right? Good stuff. I have heard good things about UM and this is basically the same thing I felt when switching from APR to DM. Just a better, more aggressive tune all around.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
You are definitely correct there, there's not a doubt that it's safe with as rich as it is. I just think at idle it could be toned down a bit.

But again I do like it.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
You are definitely correct there, there's not a doubt that it's safe with as rich as it is. I just think at idle it could be toned down a bit.

But again I do like it.

Did you get the Launch control and No-lift-shift option that UM offers btw?

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Well nearly a year later and I still love the tune. I ran a 9.21 in the 1/8th spinning through 2nd and really bad in first. My MPG isn't great, mainly because of my heavy foot. I average around 24-25 mixed.
In preparation for stepping up to a Ko4 soon. I'll be getting a godspeed version 2 intercooler (ridiculously cheap now), s3 injectors, and autotech HPFP internals. All of this will be supported on United Motorsports' stage 2 loaded tune, and will only cost me $150 to upgrade to.
I'm going to get back to the track with some better tires and as it is now if I hook up I should break 9.0 or high 8's.

Either way I'd highly recommend them, and I've heard great things about their DSG tune which I'll get when I go Ko4.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
they all fail, its just a matter of how expensive of a paperweight you want ?

I run autotech internals and I think its literally the cheapest part Ive put on my car but havent had problems with it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk