GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me into (or out of) a DSG tune...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also wondering this..

Mine wasn't stock when I got the DSG tune but I would highly recommend it for a stock car because it shifts the way it should have from the factory. It's literally a night and day difference. But it would be expensive to do if you weren't going to utilize the engine tunes also. If I was stock I would get it and just use a stage one ECU tune.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
my COBB DSG tune from Ed at EQT transformed my car. plus you'll likely get clutch pack slip without a DSG tune which will wear/hurt your DSG over time. I was surprised that even just at map6 with a jb4 only i was seeing some weird clutch pack slip just momentarily in certain situations. i would say that most cars likely have DSG clutch slip if they are even high torque stage1 even if the drivers of the car don't nessarily notice it

shifts are also faster and more crips and even the way the car takes off from a stop feels better. well worth it

I haven't heard of this. I'm EQT OTS Stage 2 and haven't noticed anything weird, but I'm not sure what to look out for in terms of clutch pack slip... is it the same as clutch slip talked about with manuals? My RPMs never shoot up unexpectedly without the associated acceleration unless the tires spin of course.

I'm only ever driving in manual mode, haven't touched D or S in a while which is why I didn't go with a DSG tune. Also, if I remember correctly, the Cobb AP for DSG tuning was way more expensive than the normal one. I didn't really look into it that much more because I figured I didn't want that.

For someone who has noticed no clutch strangeness and drives in M mode only, does a $400 TCU tune make sense?

EDIT: Just noticed it can disable auto up/down shifting in manual mode... that alone might be worth it...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
For someone who has noticed no clutch strangeness and drives in M mode only, does a $400 TCU tune make sense?

The consensus I got from this thread is that everyone with a DSG needs the tune regardless of driving habits or style.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha yeah that seems to be the consensus. I just checked out EQT and they may not even have a tune for a 7 speed DSG, so I'll probably just keep on without it. Not really sure what I'm missing anyway.

shook978

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have the new 7 speed I suggest you skip Cobb's TCU tune and go with APRs TCU tune. Cobb isn't allowing customizing the TCU and only giving you a base map.

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Also on EQT DSG tune. I like it more than the ECU tune, because it improves drivability in D that much.

EDIT for clarification: This is not putting down the ECU tune, because the stage 1 tune is NUTS. I just really enjoy the shifting behavior of the DSG tune.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The consensus I got from this thread is that everyone with a DSG needs the tune regardless of driving habits or style.

I agree but they don't actually need it. The car will just drive better like it should have from the factory.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
If you have the new 7 speed I suggest you skip Cobb's TCU tune and go with APRs TCU tune. Cobb isn't allowing customizing the TCU and only giving you a base map.
Have you driven the Cobb 7spd sport tune? Makes you sound pretty....

Paxtond1

Go Kart Newbie

my understanding was access tuner for the 7 speed is not ready yet instead of them restricting the ability to pro tune the DSG