GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me into (or out of) a DSG tune...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Been considering a DSG tune, but $400 is a heavy price tag considering I'm not sure how much I would benefit\enjoy it. About me and my car:
  • 2016 SE, EQT Stage 2 tune
  • 80% - 90% of my driving is in D, which is fine. I can go to the grocery store or run errands around town without building more than 10lbs of boost. When I'm running to the store, I don't care than I'm in 5th gear at 40mph.
  • S is useless to me. If I'm not putzing around in D and want something more aggressive (highway on ramps, basic highway driving, etc...), I want something more aggressive. So I just use manual mode at that point.
  • I don't track my car. I don't launch my car. Hell, my tune doesn't even have launch control enabled. So I don't think I'd benefit from 'increased clamping pressure' or 'removes factory limitations in torque management'.
Most people I've talked to who recommend it, usually felt D was a wasted mode, which is the exact opposite of me. I don't need to get a jump on anything at a stoplight on my way to Target. I'm not launching my car at every back road stop sign. With the way I drive my car, I'm just not sure it would add any enjoyment. So either talk me into it, or out of it :)

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Stage2 without DSG tune? good luck with clutch life.

I agree. I would think $400 would be a drop in the bucket compared to having to replace your clutch packs. I was also under the impression that Ed’s DSG Tune was far smoother than stock even in drive mode.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Running Ed's EQT DSG tune and its well worth it. Sport mode is actually awesome now unlike with stock or Cobbs DSG tunes. Well worth the money.

Last edited:

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
It’s totally worth every penny, nobody goes to Stage 2 to drive like a grandma so don’t lie to us 😅 I am 45 and my racing years are way behind me but the drivability it’s night and day, also higher shift points and faster down shifts will minimize engine lugging and helps your engine and transmission run smoother and your car feels lighter. Do it.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
my COBB DSG tune from Ed at EQT transformed my car. plus you'll likely get clutch pack slip without a DSG tune which will wear/hurt your DSG over time. I was surprised that even just at map6 with a jb4 only i was seeing some weird clutch pack slip just momentarily in certain situations. i would say that most cars likely have DSG clutch slip if they are even high torque stage1 even if the drivers of the car don't nessarily notice it

shifts are also faster and more crips and even the way the car takes off from a stop feels better. well worth it

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ok. You've all talked me into it. Thanks!

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
that-was-easy.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Best thing I've ever done, having to have a DSG. You'll never have to drive it in S again. Ed has the shift points and rpms perfectly matched

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
The EQT DSG tune is phenomenal.
D is actually perfect!
No more lugging, just power and rapid yet smooth shifts every time.

I really couldn't imagine (having enjoyed it for a while not) not getting it .

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
After you get the DSG tune you'll wonder why the car didn't come that way even just using the D mode.