GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark Plug DIY (now with 50% more pics and low sodium)

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
I just GIAC'd my car, with stock plugs. Also did the Turbo Back exhaust. Should I change to the NGK plugs which are one step colder? Is that the plugs listed in this thread? Thanks.

manydubs

Ready to race!
Nice write-up! I'm not sure what the stock gap is on that plug or what VW recommends.

On the 1.8t side of the house we found that the NGK BKR6E (one step colder than stock) worked best at a gap of .028 (best bottom-end response) for stock configurations in hot weather (less chance of detonation in hot climates) and for modded engines (bigger than stock turbos).

Several of us use the Jacobs Electronics plug gapper because it places the side electrode in perfect alignment with the center electrode as it was stock for the manufacture.

Tool:

Detailed info:

Also, being old school and having built several Aircooled and Watercooled engines and raced a lot... it would help in placing just a dab of oil or some lubricant and the plugs threads before re-installing. They will never cease up on you, nor will you ever have to heli coil! Aluminum heads gather a lot of heat and have to disapate it too.

Example of old school Aircooled Horse Power (this in the "old VW Bug" would Kill your MKV GTI):

Needs 48mm carbs with velocity stacks and a stinger exhaust! :)

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
Well today I instaled my new spark plugs from Fixx tuning, the Bosch plats. Seems the material that the spark plug body is made of was very weak, and I tightened them to spec and the body of the spark plug BROKE OFF of the threaded portion. Now I have 4 threads and electrodes stuck inside my cylinder head.....

I've contacted fixx tuning to see if they will replace the plugs. I've done this dozens of times, and believe me I did not over tighten them. I have a torque wrench strictly for plugs.... I had the bar set to the exact Nm spec.

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
I'm just shocked that they broke like they did. I've never had a spark plug do this.

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Well today I instaled my new spark plugs from Fixx tuning, the Bosch plats. Seems the material that the spark plug body is made of was very weak, and I tightened them to spec and the body of the spark plug BROKE OFF of the threaded portion. Now I have 4 threads and electrodes stuck inside my cylinder head.....

I've contacted fixx tuning to see if they will replace the plugs. I've done this dozens of times, and believe me I did not over tighten them. I have a torque wrench strictly for plugs.... I had the bar set to the exact Nm spec.

I have heard rough stories w/ Bosch, nothing that bad but I stick to NGK exclusively as Bosch had issues under boost in my Talon and the NGK's are great quality and uniformity.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
I just GIAC'd my car, with stock plugs. Also did the Turbo Back exhaust. Should I change to the NGK plugs which are one step colder? Is that the plugs listed in this thread? Thanks.

NGK BKR7EIX (Iridium, one heat range cooler than factory plugs)

Mango

Gym Rat
Car(s)
07' GTI, 07' SRT8
NGK BKR7EIX (Iridium, one heat range cooler than factory plugs)

Thanks alf!! I'm shocked, you actually replied to me without flaming me! lol :biggrin: Now it feels weird NOT getting flamed by alf. :tongue:

I just went to autozone and ordered 4 of them, pick them up tomorrow. :)

bamafanjtm

Battle Royale Champ
Also, being old school and having built several Aircooled and Watercooled engines and raced a lot... it would help in placing just a dab of oil or some lubricant and the plugs threads before re-installing. They will never cease up on you, nor will you ever have to heli coil! Aluminum heads gather a lot of heat and have to disapate it too.

Being an aircraft mechanic, I can tell ya that the best thing to use is a little anti-seize on the threads!

natypes

Ready to race!
I changed mine out to the ngk's and my car runs a tad better. What I mean by that is, before when sitting and idling it would shake a little every 5-7 seconds. Just a minor misfire I suppose. I changed out and that is gone.

MKVCrowing

computer geek
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI DSG
I know its an old DIY, but I was just working on this today, and could NOT get one of the coilpacks to unhook... 3 out of 4 just "clicked" like you mentioned when rocking the plastic tab back.. but one of them just refuuuused to budge, after applying all kinds of different pressure and adding leverage...

anyone run into this? know of a solution?

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
I know its an old DIY, but I was just working on this today, and could NOT get one of the coilpacks to unhook... 3 out of 4 just "clicked" like you mentioned when rocking the plastic tab back.. but one of them just refuuuused to budge, after applying all kinds of different pressure and adding leverage...

anyone run into this? know of a solution?

Yeah one was like that for me too..the one furthest to the left...and i basically had to BREAK the "hook"/"Fastener"/"clip"...it still stayed on with that part broken after the install, because the other 3 coils still "Clicked" into place.

MKVCrowing

computer geek
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI DSG
Yeah one was like that for me too..the one furthest to the left...and i basically had to BREAK the "hook"/"Fastener"/"clip"...it still stayed on with that part broken after the install, because the other 3 coils still "Clicked" into place.

haha cool... yeah i was almost at the point of breaking it, luckily mine is the #2, so its in the middle... just was afraid of breaking it and having to order a new part after already having to order the CPs. Thanks!