GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark Plug DIY (now with 50% more pics and low sodium)

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
where could you buy that tool?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

sc0ttyb

plays with matches
Nice write-up! I'm not sure what the stock gap is on that plug or what VW recommends.

The plugs I used (the NGKs) are pre-gapped at .030. There is another run of these plugs with the part number BKR7EIX-11, but those are gapped at around .044 (I believe), so the ones without the -11 are the ones to get.

I've heard people saying .028 is best for these cars when they're chipped, but I didn't want to even mess with gapping these plugs as the tips are so fragile.

Do you know from working with this tool if it makes any contact with the center electrode when it sets the gap or does it somehow protect it when it's setting it? I'd just hate to spend $10 on a plug, use that gapping tool, and snap the sucker right off.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
noobsauce question...The online service chart says they get changed at 20k miles by the stealership. I just had mine done last night, but no spark plug change was mentioned...when should this be done on the MkV? its been a long time since I have had a car long enough to need to change the plugs. I changed 'em right away when I got my last VW, a Used '00 Golf 1.8T...but traded it in after a year for the MkV.

I would like to do it myself cause its easier and cheaper that way...just unsure of when to do it....

Great write up.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG

gtirevo33

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV
ok extremely noob question but you only need 1 spark plug i thought you needed 1 for each coil making it 4?

Zuhaib

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, being old school and having built several Aircooled and Watercooled engines and raced a lot... it would help in placing just a dab of oil or some lubricant and the plugs threads before re-installing. They will never cease up on you, nor will you ever have to heli coil! Aluminum heads gather a lot of heat and have to disapate it too.

Yeah i was going to post the same thing as Harley person as when i changed the plugs on her i always make sure to use some lub so the next time wont be a PITA.
Heli coil is not fun! I already know, i have two heli coils on my primary inspection cover as i was dumb during a simple clutch adjustment and started to use the wrench before i hand tighten... TWICE! Live and let learn.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
ok extremely noob question but you only need 1 spark plug i thought you needed 1 for each coil making it 4?

Of Course you need 4 spark plugs...I am saying it's $7 a piece. :biggrin: