GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3/R32/Cupra 2 brake upgrade

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
MkV GTI front brake is called "FN3(16)", which disk is 12.3inch(t=25mm), it fits 16" wheel minimum.

MkV R32 is called "FNR-G(17)", 13.6inch(t=30mm), and it 17" wheel minimum.

I've seen the mention of 16" somewhere under ABS in Vag. They tried several codes there but everyone of them was throwing some fault codes. They also say about firmware in ABS not accepting the new brakes or wiring differences (bridge or ground connection) >

T47/14 <> T47/38 = PR-1ZF/1ZM/1ZC (15")
T47/12 <> T47/38 = PR-1LJ/1LL/1ZE/1ZD/1ZP (15" & 16")
T47/14 <> T47/39 = PR-1LK/1LM (17")

Now, I'm not an expert with vag-com and nor an electrician but from what I understand, I should change some pins in the ABS sensor connector !? Even so, I never worked with pins so I don't quite know what T47/12<>T47/39 means (this is the one i should have with the new brakes) !

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Today I've also drove an Audi A4 with 2.5L engine. It had the same calipers and discs as S3/cupra/R32 but its brakes were weaker than mine so I'm somewhere between S3 and A4. I've also made a hard braking with the steering wheel at half position to the left and about 30km/h. This happened in a very closed in turn. The back of the car reacted exactly like a kart. No understeering whatsoever. Front wheels remained on track, back of the car started sliding but exactly as it was needed to place the car perfectly out of the turn. In 2 weeks i will have make some spirited driving on mountain roads and I'll see exactly how the new brakes act. yesterday I've also drove an Golf GTI with OEM brakes and they seemed like mushrooms to me :)

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
Bump, did you figure that out ?

:)

BlackRabbit

Ünpimp'd
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
were the gti caliper carriers smaller than the r32 ones? in other words, could i spare my self the cost of r32 caliper carriers?

laurent.d

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
A3 TFSI DSG S-line
I'm interested as well to upgrade the front brakes of my A3 8P 2.0 TFSI and i thought R32/CUPRA/A3 3.2 and S3 brakes were the same but if you look close at the pictures below, you will notice some différence betwen them.

S3 Brakes

ABT brakes which are S3 Brakes

Golf R32 ECS Tuning kit = A3 3.2 fitted on Golf GTI

-h2n-

VW-Cowboy-Monkey
this is sooo tempting!!

does anyone know if there are any alternatives in terms of the discs that we can use for the S3/R32 'BBK' upgrade?

would any disc, as long as it conforms to the 345x30mm dimension fit?

i love this setup, but would prefer to use slotted discs if possible. =]

TIA!!

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
BTW, the nice surprise was that OEM 17" GTI wheels fit perfectly with these calipers (no spacers needed) !