GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not even sure what to call this MOD

Jinjabreadman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Gti White
I'm not really sure what to call this, is it MOD or DIY, i don't know

I have noticed on some FSI motor setups the oil cap is recessed, closer to the valve cover; Mostly on the guys running no engine cover.
vs. having the neck type thing on the cap used if your are using the engine cover.

I am just curious how its done. Can anyone chime in????
see pictures and pay attention to the oil cap

recessed oil cap

non recessed oil cap

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Some people here have called it a 'turtle neck' and it does come off. I believe some have just hit it with a rubber mallet to break it free. I'm sure there is some sort of adhesive that holds it in place. The key thing would be making sure you don't drop anything inside the valve cover.

mike_mkv

Shootin' Meth
Shove a rag in the valve cover as best as you can to catch all of the glue, there will be glue. Twist and pull to break it free. It will help to remove after driving around for a bit to soften the adhesive and then wait for the engine to cool down a bit. Remove any leftover plastic or adhesive chunks attached. Grab any big chunks of plastic or adhesive laying on the rag. Very carefully remove the rag in a way that nothing laying on top can fall in. Replace oil cap and done!

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Threaded which way? Don't want t twist it the wrong way and have other issues to deal with haha

Regular thread. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Just get a big pair of channel locks, get a firm grip on it, and twist. When I did both of mine they made some snaps and cracks before it finally came free. I think if you heated it up, it might come off more cleanly, so the adhesive isnt as dry.