GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My stage 3 WMI thread

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I'm in the same situation as you, with the EJ TB pipe and bung for w/m, which I'm worried is too near the TB.

I think that tapping into the silicone coupler between the front mount and TB pipe would be a good spot. USRT offers various bungs in their dual nozzle mount package, one of them being plastic, that from what I've been told, is ideal for tapping into silicone.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd probably prefer to tap into the metal IC plumbing to ensure it stays secure and I don't have any boost leak issues down the road.

madmortar

lalala I sing for you
Car(s)
08 GTi
I'm in the same situation as you, with the EJ TB pipe and bung for w/m, which I'm worried is too near the TB.

I think that tapping into the silicone coupler between the front mount and TB pipe would be a good spot. USRT offers various bungs in their dual nozzle mount package, one of them being plastic, that from what I've been told, is ideal for tapping into silicone.

BSH has a good looking TB pipe with 2 bungs. However, I have heard the one closest to the TB is causing issues with the TB to fail. Maybe a small nozzle on the bung closest to the intercooler and then another post TB would be ideal.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd rather just drill a hole in my IC plumbing. It was enough of a bitch getting that TB pipe installed in the first place. Although I understand installing the Tb spacer is every bit as much fun if not more.

madmortar

lalala I sing for you
Car(s)
08 GTi
I'd rather just drill a hole in my IC plumbing. It was enough of a bitch getting that TB pipe installed in the first place. Although I understand installing the Tb spacer is every bit as much fun if not more.

Well if you do end up going this route i'd be down to help install as w/m is something i want to do down the line and im 99% sure i'd run with a TB spacer.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Me needs some more research and then might do it in the spring. I really want a Golf R but the thought of bringing the GTi back to stock doesn't sound fun so unless you're going to buy it as-is I'll probably keep it for a couple more years.

t.d.b.

my fast likes bass
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Dayum it's a VA-beach thread takeover son! lol

I think the statement from USRT is not entirely accurate guys - keep in mind they sell WMI setups! I'm pretty sure any pre-IAT nozzle runs the risk of TB failure. The probability of failure may be reduced by moving it further back, but not eliminated.

Unfortunately, TB failures have been somewhat sporadic so it has been hard to definitively nail down a simple foolproof pattern of: "if you put your nozzle 'X' inches upstream of the TB you'll be safe". The closest you will get to a safe rule of thumb like that is to: simply put it post-IAT! That is the only way you can say with certainty that your TB is safe.

Kinda sucks, but it's unavoidable. VW did not design the TB for this sort of thing. Not much we can do but the spacer....until someone makes a metal TB for us that is. Not holding my breath for that!

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
just sent them an e-mail to purchase a TB spacer

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Dayum it's a VA-beach thread takeover son! lol

I think the statement from USRT is not entirely accurate guys - keep in mind they sell WMI setups! I'm pretty sure any pre-IAT nozzle runs the risk of TB failure. The probability of failure may be reduced by moving it further back, but not eliminated.

Unfortunately, TB failures have been somewhat sporadic so it has been hard to definitively nail down a simple foolproof pattern of: "if you put your nozzle 'X' inches upstream of the TB you'll be safe". The closest you will get to a safe rule of thumb like that is to: simply put it post-IAT! That is the only way you can say with certainty that your TB is safe.

Kinda sucks, but it's unavoidable. VW did not design the TB for this sort of thing. Not much we can do but the spacer....until someone makes a metal TB for us that is. Not holding my breath for that!

Thanks! You kept me from having to post this.

VAB in the house. I lived there for 4 years bumbing it in my early 20's. Was there during the riots back in the day. Fun stuff. Thanks MTV.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I think the statement from USRT is not entirely accurate guys - keep in mind they sell WMI setups!

Yes, this is true, but it doesn't change the fact that these guys are the most knowledgeable source on WMI I've come across. Give'em a call, you'll see.

JamDawg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI 4 DOOR
Here are the three kits that have come out so far.

The one on the far left is the USRT kit. It was their OG design. The OG design did not have the notch shown on their second version (middle). Without the notch the adapter would hit part of the throttle body on the FSI model.

The one on the far right is the PagPart kit. You can see the seal difference and the nozzle location has changed. I hope to install the PagPart kit this week but I have to wait until I get the snow nozzle holder. The DO nozzle holder will not screw in because of its square shape.

I plan on boring out the thread on the PagPart similar to what I did to the USRT first version. I was able to get the nozzle very close to flush.

I’m running at Robeling Raceway this weekend with PCA and I hope it will be functional before then.

t.d.b.

my fast likes bass
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes, this is true, but it doesn't change the fact that these guys are the most knowledgeable source on WMI I've come across. Give'em a call, you'll see.

That's fair. I did not intend to imply they don't know they're poop and that they are purely salesmen. I'm sure they are indeed knowledgeable.

Just saying that I always take things with a little grain of salt when it comes from a mfr/vendor/salesman. I'd much rather take tech advice from an impartial party for this reason.

That doesn't mean anyone selling something is blowing smoke up everyones arse all the time. That's a bit extreme.

....and yeah - thanks Jamdawg! Good stuff.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Here are the three kits that have come out so far.

The one on the far left is the USRT kit. It was their OG design. The OG design did not have the notch shown on their second version (middle). Without the notch the adapter would hit part of the throttle body on the FSI model.

The one on the far right is the PagPart kit. You can see the seal difference and the nozzle location has changed. I hope to install the PagPart kit this week but I have to wait until I get the snow nozzle holder. The DO nozzle holder will not screw in because of its square shape.

I plan on boring out the thread on the PagPart similar to what I did to the USRT first version. I was able to get the nozzle very close to flush.

I’m running at Robeling Raceway this weekend with PCA and I hope it will be functional before then.

FML, got a PPG TB spacer coming my way.
Ill have to take a look into making clearance for my DO nozzle.
Thanks for the heads up!

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Just got my Invoice from PPG, my spacer should be shipped out on Monday.
Next weekend is open for me so if the weather isnt complete shit I will install this.

Can't wait to get my good 'ole Missouri Meth fix again :biggrin: