GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Instrument Cluster Replacement!

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
For real, can't guarantee that it'll work :p but I will have a damn good try, it'll be a fun project.

vRStu

Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia vRS
If you want to use VAG-COM you'll need the SKC for both your original and the donar pods. The pod contains the immobilisor and is linked to the ECU.

There is a fairly simple procedure with VAG-COM but if you don't have the SKC's then you'll need to visit a dealer who'll be able to do it using the online lookup but I don't think they'll have visibility of the SKC's. They should only charge 1 hour labour, it only takes 15 to 20 mins max.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
SKC ~ Secret Key Code

Buy VagCan with Commander 5.1. It'll read and change the SKC plus other changes. Be warned..... it only works on some model year cars.

T-Dub86

World's Fastest Econobox!
It'd be kinda cool to change the color of my cluster lights...but if I were gonna do it, I'd just swap out the blue GTI lighting for R32 white lighting! That'd be sweet to me!!! :biggrin:

xminusx

Banned
Car(s)
The Failboat.
It'd be kinda cool to change the color of my cluster lights...but if I were gonna do it, I'd just swap out the blue GTI lighting for R32 white lighting! That'd be sweet to me!!! :biggrin:

sssshhhh.. thats what I was going to do!

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I want to change them to white. Why isnt this as simple as pulling off your dash and changing the bulbs to white?

Because the "bulbs" are LEDs surface-mounted onto a printed circuit board. This it not a simple swap job, it requires a lot of skill and dexterity and some experience with surface mount components (which are TINY) to swap out correctly.

Plus you'd have to disassemble your dash assembly and all the stepper motors for the needles and recalibrate them all, plus whatever control modules and data connections will be going there :p

Hence why a cluster swap is much simpler.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Because the "bulbs" are LEDs surface-mounted onto a printed circuit board. This it not a simple swap job, it requires a lot of skill and dexterity and some experience with surface mount components (which are TINY) to swap out correctly.

Plus you'd have to disassemble your dash assembly and all the stepper motors for the needles and recalibrate them all, plus whatever control modules and data connections will be going there :p

Hence why a cluster swap is much simpler.

Correct-a-mundo... All except the thing you're saying about the control modules and data connections. All the information that the modules already have stored will not be changing since you aren't replacing the IPC. The LED's will however be difficult it you don't know how to solder a circuit board.

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
The cluster pops out with 2 screws. I got mine out yesterday when I installed my headunit for fun. I didn't really read this thread fully, just see you guys wanting access to the bulbs. I had the whole cluster in my hand, not sure about changing bulbs though.

minime78

so you wanna commit fraud with mileage? Thats ok, they find these things out. I could tell ya how to adapt it, but I don't wanna help a thief.

I wanted to change from blue to white also... I am gonna look into it a little more... oh and btw this nitroscope guy is a pain in the but....i know this is of topic but he is the one that thinks that knows everything/better than anyone.. i seen hes comments around... just not in this forum but in others... always being a hard head... don't mind the old grumpy....:w00t: