GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPFP Seal Failure?

SIIIICK08

Ready to race!
Any anyone had their APR HPFP seals fail? My mechanic thinks I have this problem cuz my oil smells like gas & notice smoke out of the exhaust upon acceleration.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I've heard of it but not to mine. You should see it in the group 230 data as actual shouldn't be near specified. But it isn't a seal right? It would just be excessive wear between the piston and cylinder. I'm going with Autotech or the IE kit whenever this APR gives out. I have 73k miles on it now.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I've heard of it but not to mine. You should see it in the group 230 data as actual shouldn't be near specified. But it isn't a seal right? It would just be excessive wear between the piston and cylinder. I'm going with Autotech or the IE kit whenever this APR gives out. I have 73k miles on it now.

I've seen failures on ever hpfp out there. Although I have not seen the "seals" fail. Pistons seize, springs break, etc. Roh I would highly suggest avoiding the Autotech pumps, they have had an extremely high issue rate over the other pumps out there. I would stick with APR or move to the IE (however I've seen more IE pumps fail than APR). I hate to admit it, but from the years I've been on here the APR pumps have the best success rate of all the offerings available.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I've seen failures on ever hpfp out there. Although I have not seen the "seals" fail. Pistons seize, springs break, etc. Roh I would highly suggest avoiding the Autotech pumps, they have had an extremely high issue rate over the other pumps out there. I would stick with APR or move to the IE (however I've seen more IE pumps fail than APR). I hate to admit it, but from the years I've been on here the APR pumps have the best success rate of all the offerings available.

Definitely not a large sample size of IE HPFP users. I have 4,000 hard K04 miles on my IE pump. The car is a weekend fun car nowadays, so what miles it gets are mostly high rpm and high engine load. I rebuilt my original 106k mile pump with IE internals. I turned a small room in my basement into a clean room and used many pairs of sterile gloves during the install.

No issues to date. Furthermore, there seems to be no additional cam follower wear, likely a benefit of using the stock spring.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I am leary of trying Autotech again and would likely end up scaring myself into an IE or another APR build. My first one was Autotech...my VW tech rebuilt the hpfp but he reinstalled the original CF with 58k miles on it...and I thought it was a new CF. I thought I had 10k miles before I needed to check and replace the CF but it only made another 5800 miles destroying the hpfp and intake cam.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I am leary of trying Autotech again and would likely end up scaring myself into an IE or another APR build. My first one was Autotech...my VW tech rebuilt the hpfp but he reinstalled the original CF with 58k miles on it...and I thought it was a new CF. I thought I had 10k miles before I needed to check and replace the CF but it only made another 5800 miles destroying the hpfp and intake cam.

Oh God, wtf! Why would he do that without telling you?!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Oh God, wtf! Why would he do that without telling you?!
I don't know :iono:

I didn't think about it at the time...just assumed he's rebuilding the hpfp and he would install a new CF...and I would need a new CF after 10k miles. Lucky for me though they covered it and the intake cam under the warranty extension when it failed. But then I was out the cost of the autotech kit and spent another $800±(←includes shipping) for the APR build on the new hpfp(←that was covered by warranty). So the hpfp ended up costing me nearly $1200.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
fuel in oil

Any anyone had their APR HPFP seals fail? My mechanic thinks I have this problem cuz my oil smells like gas & notice smoke out of the exhaust upon acceleration.

The oil always smells like gas on these fsi DI motors imo, if seal is bad you would see you oil level rise so monitor it. . Bob G

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Happened to me a few years back, wasn't an APR pump though.

I noticed the oil level rising, smelt like fuel, very watery. This caused the fuel trims to be off by 25+%, so the ECU pulled -12 degrees of timing.

-Cad