IMG_0215 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0214 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0213 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0212 - Copy.JPG

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Yeah basically for all the prep work until the actual painting, we added time for the pieces to dry after each step ex 30 min for filler to dry instead of 15. My dad has painted quite a few of this old cars so we used his spray gun to do the painting and clear coat. - he did the actual painting

Sanding is a pain (make sure you use an orbital sander, otherwise its going to take you 8+ hours. My dad wanted me to hand sand it instead of using his orbital sander and after 30 min of getting nowhere we used the sander. Putting the valances back on is a serious struggle. I removed the entire rear bumper and put that back together first, and then put them back on the car. The skirts were a breeze but my votex lip also sucked.

We did 1 more coat of adhesion promoter before primer and didnt use it before painting color.. idk why youd have to adhesion it again as the primer is a good painting surface. We let the color sit for a day to dry and the clear as well.

If you have any question pm me and ill help out best I can

EDIT: We wetsanded everything (except for the orbital sanding) but after 2 coats of priming, and VERY lightly after 2 coats of color. Going to buff the clear coat at the end of the week, letting it sit for a few days.

Last edited:

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Spray gun FTW. I re-did my skirts with a spray gun and 2 part clear. Came out WAY better than with a spray can and also dries a lot harder. I did my rear with a spray can the first time and it's held up much better. Most likely because the skirts get so dinged up getting in/out of the car and what not. If I had to do it over again, I'd just do the whole thing with a gun and 2 part paint.

Don't get me wrong, you can do good work with a can, but it's definitely better with a proper spray gun.