GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How To Paint Your Lowers at Home The Correct Way

cbs_24

Ready to race!
i'm also considering painting my votex rep lip, but had a few questions before i decide whether i'm ready to try it. what brand adhesive promoter is recommended? also, whats the best way to actually spray something like a lip that has mulitple sides that need spraying? stand it upright?

lastly, if i decide to do this and f it up, will a body shop charge me a lot more to paint it than if i just brought it to them primered in the first place?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
i'm also considering painting my votex rep lip, but had a few questions before i decide whether i'm ready to try it. what brand adhesive promoter is recommended? also, whats the best way to actually spray something like a lip that has mulitple sides that need spraying? stand it upright?

lastly, if i decide to do this and f it up, will a body shop charge me a lot more to paint it than if i just brought it to them primered in the first place?

Nope, you can sand it again yourself, primer it, and then have them spray and clear it for you. It'll be cheaper at the shop cost because they won't have to sand and primer it for you.

That's if you mess up.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Thinking about doing this just on the upper half of the rear bumper UG. For some reason I dont like the color matched side skirts in UG. Looks great in TR though

DANO

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Stoked on this thread! Doin it as soon as possible!

Edit: I had a question, Did you use 4x8oz bottles of paint?
Edit: nevermind, found the same question 12oz

Last edited:

rabbit6409

GTI rollinn
Car(s)
07 Cw GTi
old thread but im gonna try this this sunday!

trialerror00

Ready to race!
Car(s)
k04 GTI & watermeth
^ me too

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
My Gti has 70K miles on it, so should I get custom colormatched paint or can I just use the normal LB9A stuff? Also how much paint should I use if I am using a spray gun? Pint? Quart?
Thanks

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Get custom colormatched paint, the stock paint code won't do the trick since the car has been exposed to the ambient for quite a long time.

Also, get a quart if you're doing all 4 pieces, a pint would be too compromised even if you're good with the gun.

THANK YOU!! I have been trying to find this information for ages without any luck. The custom color matched paint made sense but I didnt know how much. I am doing all 4, so a quart it is! :thumbup:

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
going to give it a whirl...