GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP Unknown Issues With GTI

Mattsorgini

Hey, Guys. I currently have 2007 2.0 FSI GTi (stage 1 APR) and I'm hearing a clicking sound from the engine that sounds like a diesel (when looking under the hood). Also, I can faintly hear the noise from inside the car when driving. As my revs increase, the noise becomes "quicker" and more apparent. Confused as to what the issue might be and really want to take the car into Volkswagen but not sure exactly what to say or expect (does upgraded ECU void warranty?).

I also believe I have a boost leak. Occasionally, as I accelerate my boost locks at around 5 pounds and doesn't go any higher until I release the throttle and reapply. Only then, will it climb back up to around 15-20 pounds. I know it's not a problem with the gauge cause theres an extremely noticeable difference in accelerate.

Please help. I really want to make some upgrades to my car, but not until she's all fixed up.

alfmoonspace

Ready to race!
It's suppose to sound like that, direct injection is loud. What does the other noise sound like?

Check you boost gauge lines to see if you have a leak there

Mattsorgini

The other sound that I can here from inside the car is the same clicking sound from the engine. I understand that direct injection is loud. It sounded normal when I first got the car, but it had become a lot louder all of a sudden, so much so that I can faintly hear it in the car while driving (and I have a relatively loud exhaust modification). From what I've gathered from my attempt to research this, I suspect something to do with the camshaft. However, I have zero knowledge of engine mechanics.

I'll post a video of the sound coming from the car as soon as I can. Currently away from home until the weekend.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Cam follower.

If you're comfortable with light mechanic work go on Google or you tube and search 2.0T FSI cam follower replacement. Follow the steps and check it. If gone unchecked and you do have a punch through can lead to a blown top end (cams, hpfp, etc).

Dealership or VW/Audi mechanics are well aware of this issue and how to check and replace it .

fastwire

Ready to race!
that sounds also like the cam chain tensioner about to auto destroy itself. my 2 cents

Mattsorgini

I've had low oil levels and didn't experience this sound before. I doubt it's the oil.
Also, I do have a PCV revamp by BSH.. you mentioned that it could be a bad PCV?

I may need a new air filter. I have a neuspeed pflo intake with an AEM dry flow filter, but shes been on for a while now. However, when under the hood, the sound seems to be coming from directing inside the top of the engine block, so I'm really leaning towards the Cam tensioner (since it's also a well known issue in gti models under 2008).

Mattsorgini

I've had low oil levels and didn't experience this sound before. I doubt it's the oil.
Also, I do have a PCV revamp by BSH.. you mentioned that it could be a bad PCV?

I may need a new air filter. I have a neuspeed pflo intake with an AEM dry flow filter, but shes been on for a while now. However, when under the hood, the sound seems to be coming from directing inside the top of the engine block, so I'm really leaning towards the Cam tensioner (since it's also a well known issue in gti models under 2008).