GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG 'Flash of Death' question

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

I have an 06 MkV GTI that I"ve had since new; just turned 100k miles this week. About 1 month ago I experienced the "DSG Flash of Death". Took it to the dealer, they said I needed the Mechtronics unit replaced, for $2100. They are also discovered an issue with a wiring harness that would require another $700. So, looking at nearly $3k in service, but I feel the car has plenty of life remaining as I've cared for it well over the last 10 years. So, had the service done, all was well, until yesterday when, yep, the 'DSG Flash of Death' happened again. WTF?

Anyone had experience with this where the Mechtronics was replaced and still experiencing this problem? Of course, I am taking the car back to the dealer, but was hoping to get some feedback from others.

Thanks,
DJM

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Maybe it was just that wiring? Was it cut/frayed? Just hate to hear about another bro ripped off, maybe have a independent euro specialty guy give another opinion before going back there?

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
You don't have the mechatronics warranty extension?

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe it was just that wiring? Was it cut/frayed? Just hate to hear about another bro ripped off, maybe have a independent euro specialty guy give another opinion before going back there?

I am wondering if the problem is actually related to the shifter itself. When I get the FOD, the shifter is always in 'D'. If I move it over into 'manual' mode, I am able to drive the car just fine. I'll be dropping the car off at the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say -- they do warranty their work. Will follow-up when I have more info.

Cheers,
DJM

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Nope. That is for 07+ and I am 06. I called VWOA myself and had a rather extended discussion on the topic.

DJM

That's BS, my 06 was covered under the extended trans warranty and for a new mechatronics unit, my 09 (should have been) covered under the extended warranty if it wasn't "highly modified" but they still covered half of the new trans. Someone somewhere fed you a line of crap on that one man.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's BS, my 06 was covered under the extended trans warranty and for a new mechatronics unit, my 09 (should have been) covered under the extended warranty if it wasn't "highly modified" but they still covered half of the new trans. Someone somewhere fed you a line of crap on that one man.

Not necessarily. My 06 wasn't covered either, but it never had a problem. Early run DSG transmissions were apparently more robust than the later ones.

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed

Being more specific: my GTI was an early 06, the VIN in outside the range of VIN associated with the extended warranty. The extended warranty was 10 years/100k miles, which ever comes first and I was well past the 10 year mark.

Also keep in mind, VW is on the ropes financially with the fallout from the diesel scandal and are likely less willing to 'help out a brother'.

Ultimately, replacing the Mechtronics unit did not solve the problem -- that is what I'd like to solve.

DJM