GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Motorsport - from GIAC to DM - the journey begins 2/27

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
I've heard they stopped tuning the F23T kit, is that true? Why?

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
Do you see yourself able to run V8 m3 e92?Can you take him?im not talking quarter mile im talking roll race
a gti making ~340 to the wheels should certainly be able to take a stock m3 from a roll. Dig and low low roll speeds favor the m3 due to traction though. I kept up with and started to creep on an m3 when I was only at about 315whp

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
E90 m3 weighs about 37000lbs or about 600lbs more then a GTI. I have easily beaten them especially from a roll. As far as rotating with throttle my GTI easily rotates with throttle and I have dialed out the understeer with swaybars and proper suspension tuning. There is a reason why the GTI is named one of the best handling vehicles made time and time again by every magazine and test drives even in stock form. A stage 2 with minor suspension upgrades easily closes that gap making them about equal so imagine what one with a turbo upgrade would do

Last edited:

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
E90 m3 weighs about 37000lbs or about 600lbs more then a GTI. I have easily beaten them especially from a roll. As far as rotating with throttle my GTI easily rotates with throttle and I have dialed out the understeer with swaybars and proper suspension tuning. There is a reason why the GTI is named one of the best handling vehicles made time and time again by every magazine and test drives even in stock form. A stage 2 with minor suspension upgrades easily closes that gap making them about equal so imagine what one with a turbo upgrade would do
Trust me. A turbo upgrade is worth every penny

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Trust me. A turbo upgrade is worth every penny

Did you even read the mods in my sig? I am more than aware of what a turbo upgrade does to these vehicles.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

Don't mean to send this thread off deep end, but having spent about 5 years and over 40 events with my own well tuned K04 Mk5 at the track I am intimately aware of what it is capable of and don't need to imagine it. As a street car, yes it does handle reasonably well and yes, you can play lift throttle oversteer games with fwd, but it is nothing like a properly set up RWD car. It takes more to dial out understeer than just sway bars and shock tuning.

Beating cars in traffic is also a bit pointless, no? For what, to earn a bigger speeding ticket? If you ran against an equally track prepared E90 M3 and posted lower lap times, then you'd earn some street cred and could say you beat it. Having run both my Mk5 and my M3 back to back at track events, even my old creaky E36 is the better car - and a better car to sink money into if you want to go fast in a proper chassis. With just stock 240hp in the old M3 I am overall faster than I was with 330hp in the GTI. Why? It holds better speed in the twisties, which more than makes up for lower straight line speed. M3's also invite being driven to the limit, where FWD typically starts fighting you with understeer. Go against newer gen M3's and the gap widens, and don't forget, BMW's can be modded too.

Car and Driver 2014 lightening laps at VIR:

M4 - 3.00
GTI - 3:19

That's not even remotely close.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2014-bmw-m4-hot-lap-video

A car really worth looking at to tune and actually go fast is the BRZ. Proper RWD, highly tunable and way more affordable than a BMW.

I am not beating up on GTI's per se, still love them for their sportiness and overall practicality. I stuffed a 42" plasma in the back of my GTI to get it home, something my M3 could never do.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Comparing an M4 to a GTI? That's LOL.

Gosh, I'd hope the M4 is in another leauge.

The M4 is $64200 MSRP

GTI is $24395 MSRP

I'd take my GTI and leftover $39805, put a Bigger turbo, and good coilovers/wheels/tire the typical GTI stuff and with my still leftover $25000ish grand take a real nice vacation and then another car for my wife.

i also don't think this started as a track debate but a straight line one. There are multiple forms of Motorsport.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. Less track smug opinion BS and more DM K04+ discussion.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
Don't mean to send this thread off deep end, but having spent about 5 years and over 40 events with my own well tuned K04 Mk5 at the track I am intimately aware of what it is capable of and don't need to imagine it. As a street car, yes it does handle reasonably well and yes, you can play lift throttle oversteer games with fwd, but it is nothing like a properly set up RWD car. It takes more to dial out understeer than just sway bars and shock tuning.

Beating cars in traffic is also a bit pointless, no? For what, to earn a bigger speeding ticket? If you ran against an equally track prepared E90 M3 and posted lower lap times, then you'd earn some street cred and could say you beat it. Having run both my Mk5 and my M3 back to back at track events, even my old creaky E36 is the better car - and a better car to sink money into if you want to go fast in a proper chassis. With just stock 240hp in the old M3 I am overall faster than I was with 330hp in the GTI. Why? It holds better speed in the twisties, which more than makes up for lower straight line speed. M3's also invite being driven to the limit, where FWD typically starts fighting you with understeer. Go against newer gen M3's and the gap widens, and don't forget, BMW's can be modded too.

I am not beating up on GTI's per se, still love them for their sportiness and overall practicality. I stuffed a 42" plasma in the back of my GTI to get it home, something my M3 could never do.

I would have to concur on you viewpoint here:thumbsup:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Comparing an M4 to a GTI? That's LOL. .

Yes, my point exactly. M3 or M4 is basically same.

Interested in DM tunes as well, I like the direction they're taking using stock injectors with K04.

My last thoughts on beating M3's in a straight line, I did a K04 on my GTI, it was fast but even with an LSD traction was an issue, spinning all the way into 3rd! Going sub 4.1 0-60 with a FWD GTI likely not in the cards, but a Golf R, perhaps.

Here are the times you'll need to beat to best 335i's or M3's. And 335i's can be flashed for stupid power - they're turbocharged.

Car & Driver
335i coupe 6MT
0-to-60-mph time: 4.9 sec
Standing 1/4 mile: 13.6 sec @ 105 mph

M3 coupe 6MT
0-to-60-mph time: 4.4 sec
Standing 1/4 mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph

Road and Track
335i sedan 6MT
0-to-60-mph time: 5.0 sec
Standing 1/4 mile: 13.5 sec @ 104.5 mph

M3 coupe 6MT
0-to-60-mph time: 4.1 sec
Standing 1/4 mile: 12.5 sec @ 114.8 mph

Regarding cost of M4, those with the cash buy the M4...those without get an E36 M3 :cool:.

Last edited:

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
those without get an E36 M3 :cool:.

I debate about this daily

A friend of mine went from modified mk6 to E36 and he's not looking back also