GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Here is a simple DIY for updating your timing chain tensioner. This was done over the course of an afternoon with both myself and Eurocars.

I would not recommend doing this job without the factory tool to hold the cranckshaft (necessary to remove the crankshaft bolt), or a 1/2 impact gun. Removing the crankshaft bolt is very difficult without it. I would also not recommend doing this without very short triple square bits (necessary for removing the lower engine mount).

This is not an idiots guide, and if this makes you feel nervous, I would avoid doing the job yourself.

Remove noise pipe:

Pull off washer fluid fill tube:

Unbolt the overflow tank and move it out of the way:

Pull the fender liner & remove Turbo outlet pipe:

Drain Oil:

Support the engine with a jack and block of wood:

Remove passenger side engine mount:

Remove engine mount bracket: (going to need short triple squares here for the three bolts)

Remove dipstick: (2 torx screws)

Tape over dipstick hole to avoid debris entering the oil pan:

Remove serpentine belt:

The notch on the crank pulley will have to line up with the mark on the front cover: (this puts cylinder one to TDC)

Mark on crank pulley:

Remove crank pulley and unbolt front cover. There is one bolt underneath the serpentine belt tensioner that is quite difficult to get to. You have two options: remove the belt tensioner entirely, or (the much easier method), remove the pulley itself, and retract the tensioner to have enough clearence to get to the last bolt holding the cover on. Zip tie timing chain together and pull tensioner:

Install the new tensioner and pull the retaining clip to allow piston in the tensioner to push on the guide:

Special tool: We made this to hold the crankshaft in place. We ended up using this in conjunction with an impact gun to pull the bolt. There is a factory tool to do this, and it's pretty cheap.

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I'll do what I can to help.

Last edited:

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Thank you guys for making this diy. Looks like I'll be doing this job in few weeks without breaking anything, and I feel way more comfortable about it now.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
If we didnt have to dick around trying to figure out how to hold the crank pulley in place, the job would have been done in a matter of a few hours. The special tool to do the job is only about $40 and is well worth the purchase if you dont have an impact gun to take the crank bolt out

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks nice job. You didn't touch on this, but it seems the hardest part is keeping the old cover flat if you reuse it. Do you know the part number for the crank bolt, or better yet the size?

fierce bad

Ready to race!
How does one decide that their timing chain tensioner needs replacement?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's a preemptive strike. A few early tensioners have failed and that will bend valves or do worse to the motor. The latest revision is not a guarantee, but it should buy more time.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Thanks nice job. You didn't touch on this, but it seems the hardest part is keeping the old cover flat if you reuse it. Do you know the part number for the crank bolt, or better yet the size?

Im not sure on the part number, but we used a new front cover. Its damn near impossible to get it off without bending it somehow. I would recommend a new cover if doing this job

dave80

Go Kart Champion
TENSIONER [Part#: 06K109467K] $53.44
BOLT cover bolts x15 [Part#: N91096702] $0.38
SCREW crank center bolt x1 [Part#: WHT001760] $2.68
SEALANT [Part#: D174003A2] $23.79
TIMINGCASE cover [Part#: 06H109210Q] $106.14

Lower timing chain cover - tightening sequence for version with 15 bolts
– Tighten bolts -1 to 15- in two stages in the sequence shown:
– 1. Tighten bolts to 8 Nm.
– 2. Turn bolts 45° further

Cover with 15 bolts
– Apply silicone sealant -D 174 003 A2- onto clean sealing surface of new cover, as shown in illustration.
t Thickness of sealant bead: 2 ... 3 mm