GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amber Singals

Car(s)
2019 White GTI SE
I just did this mod and now I have a warning light telling me both my rear lights don't work. I there a way to disable that? My long coding:
078D0F2140041500470A00000F000000000915035C000100000000000000

alanchicken

的士佬
finally get it done be4 halloween. since i changed the parking lights to LED, i used those spare OEM bulbs for these signal lights instead. i bought a bottle of yellow transparent glass paint from "michaels" (heat resistent to 350°F). cheaper cost and i could make use of those remaining bulbs. i can peel off the yellow colours if i don't want to, just like plasti dip.

amber signal light is working nicely now. all i need is vagcom. thanks everyone for any input.

it's a very nice step-by-step instruction. darcness, u r super!

Last edited:

alanchicken

的士佬
finally get it done be4 halloween. since i changed the parking lights to LED, i used those spare OEM bulbs for these signal lights instead. i bought a bottle of yellow transparent glass paint from "michaels" (heat resistent to 350°F). cheaper cost and i could make use of those remaining bulbs. i can peel off the yellow colours if i don't want to, just like plasti dip.

amber signal light is working nicely now. all i need is vagcom. thanks everyone for any input.

it's a very nice step-by-step instruction. darcness, u r super!

just got vagcom done. it's now working PERFECTLY. what an unforgettable halloween for me!

blackz151

Ready to race!
I did this today great write up Thanks!!

alanchicken

的士佬
hey guys, do u think 194 bulbs r not bright enough for day time?? of course, it can be seen at night for sure.

if i use bigger bulbs, will that cause bulb out signal on dash board?

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
hey guys, do u think 194 bulbs r not bright enough for day time?? of course, it can be seen at night for sure.

if i use bigger bulbs, will that cause bulb out signal on dash board?

I put 194 bulbs in there and you can barely see them in the day. I'm getting the bigger bulbs that fit in the 194 socket (don't know the number of the bulb off hand) when I get a chance. No, a bulb out signal will not come up with a bigger bulb in there.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Use a 916. It's the perfect brightness without being too hot. 921's look good but tend to get a bit on the warm side from the bulb holders I've seen that have come back to me and that I've used on my own car.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Use a 916. It's the perfect brightness without being too hot. 921's look good but tend to get a bit on the warm side from the bulb holders I've seen that have come back to me and that I've used on my own car.

yeap, 921s will eventually melt the holder and fuse together :cry:

xola3que

euroturd
This is a nice mod but jsut a word of warning. The center amber does not give out enough light no matter which bulb you put in. This causes people behind you not notice your signal until they are very closed. My next door neighbor just total his GTI right in front of my house try making a left turn into his driveway. A minivan behind fail to see the signals and gave him a smashing of his life. He kept his mouth shut about the mod but he know he's partly responsible for the rear ended that totaled his car. May be I have him stop by and give his own words. I did this too and I quickly reverse to GTI tails until I could afford the LEDs. It's stomach wrenching every time I look into the rear view mirror and a car keep slamming to me while I already put on the signals blocks away.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
This is a nice mod but jsut a word of warning. The center amber does not give out enough light no matter which bulb you put in. This causes people behind you not notice your signal until they are very closed. My next door neighbor just total his GTI right in front of my house try making a left turn into his driveway. A minivan behind fail to see the signals and gave him a smashing of his life. He kept his mouth shut about the mod but he know he's partly responsible for the rear ended that totaled his car. May be I have him stop by and give his own words. I did this too and I quickly reverse to GTI tails until I could afford the LEDs. It's stomach wrenching every time I look into the rear view mirror and a car keep slamming to me while I already put on the signals blocks away.

Well, I'm guessing the other driver did see the brake lights, I'm pretty sure your neighbour had to brake before going into a drive way. Yes I know they are not the brightest but I've seen worst. Doesn't matter if the driver in front of you has or has not turning signal, you should alway be carefull. Here in new york about 20-25% of drivers use turning signals LOL so I'm always carefull. Then again you said your neighbours car was totaled? The guy in the van was probably on the phone and going pretty fast. If somebody rear ends my car, they are going to have hell with my insurance no matter what kind of turning signals I have. The tail light housing is still DOT approved, not like the after-market crap some people buy.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW

Are you serious right now? What do you think brake lights are for? People don't stop for blinkers, they stop for brake lights. I really think you're drawing a link here that's completely ridiculous and quite frankly, disturbing to me. I don't particularly like being blamed or held responsible for such things.

Let's not forget that the European MKV's have amber signals right from the factory. In fact, Euro bulb holders have the post and bulb socket already installed. How would something like this that's been common practice in Europe not cause problems of the nature you describe? If they were a danger to the driver/car they wouldn't have been made this way. Not to mention the hundreds of other US model cars that have amber signals, which have never caused a problem.

Honestly if this really is a problem and other people agree I will remove this thread and stop selling my tails with amber signals. I will see what others have to say.

2006UG

<ding dong>
couldn't you just fire in a red bulb for the signal? I know it wouldn't be like the r32, but still, i think it'd look cool if you could get it to match the color of your brake lights when they're on.

And it could be more noticeable right?

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
Darcness I will admit that with the break Lights on the turns are hard to see but this guy has no Idea what he is talking about.

If that happened here in Maryland who would give a shit if you did what ever to your tail lights, MD Law states that no 90% of the time regardless of what happened the person that hit the person in front of you is at fault. The other 10% of the time is when they had no choice because they got hit from behind and it pushed them into the next person.
As I see it if that person hit your friend I would sew the living hell out of her/him if they turned around and said something like "oh i didn't see there turn signal on" Who gives a shit did you not see the 3 other lights on the back of the car indicating the stooping action?

Any way I think that if you where ever to "change" anything maybe make the half moon turn and the yellow work together or something. Or maybe something like the Mustang tail lights where depending on the turning direction the lights flash in that direction.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
I'm on Darcness' side with this one...