GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amber Singals

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I checked everything again, but my driver's side blinker doesn't light up? Could it be that the 168 bulbs are draining too much power? should I use 921 bulbs instead, or is something that vag-com is going to solve?

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Here are my bulb holders

First bulb holder is the passenger side, which works just fine. The second bulb holder is the driver's side which I'm having problems with.

Attachments

• IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,003

hobbes

Ready to race!
Hmm...your bulb holders look fine. Have you checked the fuses? It really sounds like it could be the fuse, since you say when you switch the bulb holders from each side, it's always the driver's side that doesn't work. Other than that, I've got no clue what the problem is.

Also, do the vag change. Who knows, it might fix the problem.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Hmm...your bulb holders look fine. Have you checked the fuses? It really sounds like it could be the fuse, since you say when you switch the bulb holders from each side, it's always the driver's side that doesn't work. Other than that, I've got no clue what the problem is.

Also, do the vag change. Who knows, it might fix the problem.

Do you know which fuse handles the turning signals, or where can I find it?

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
it works, im so happy!!! all i did was double check and re-solder everything, and replace the 194 bulbs for 921s and it works. now all i need is vag-com

hobbes

Ready to race!
it works, im so happy!!! all i did was double check and re-solder everything, and replace the 194 bulbs for 921s and it works. now all i need is vag-com

Glad you got it working! That's odd, cuz I've got 194 bulbs in there, the same bulbs as the side markers and it works find for me.

Amber signals are sooo much better than the half circle signals.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Glad you got it working! That's odd, cuz I've got 194 bulbs in there, the same bulbs as the side markers and it works find for me.

Amber signals are sooo much better than the half circle signals.

Yeah, the full brake circle and the amber signal looks much more like a premium european car, I love it!!! About the bulbs, I don't know what to tell you, at first I thought it was a fuse, because I could plug either bulb holder to the passenger side harness and it would work fine. But at the same time that I move all the fuses, I replaced the bulbs with 921s, which are twice the size, but the light output its awesome, and its working now :)

Zanxrex

New, yet old
Car(s)
2006 MK5 GTI
I don't see why the miniature bulbs (168, 194 etc) wouldn't work. The OEM Euro bulb trays, which my GTI has, use a 6 watt halogen bulb, which isn't far off from the other miniatures out there.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I don't see why the miniature bulbs (168, 194 etc) wouldn't work. The OEM Euro bulb trays, which my GTI has, use a 6 watt halogen bulb, which isn't far off from the other miniatures out there.

Maybe I fixed a loose connection, at the same time I replaced the bulbs :iono:, because I did everything all over again before changing bulbs, so who knows, besides de 921 bulb is bigger and brighter than the 168-194 bulb

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Just be careful using 921's. I've found that 916's work better. The 921's will work but they get quite a bit hotter then the 916's do. I think it's like 10w vs. 18w. The light output is hardly different or noticable and the payoff is less heat.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Just be careful using 921's. I've found that 916's work better. The 921's will work but they get quite a bit hotter then the 916's do. I think it's like 10w vs. 18w. The light output is hardly different or noticable and the payoff is less heat.

Ok, I'll try to get 916's as soon as I can. Thanks for the tip man.

alanchicken

的士佬
very nice illustration. i haven't done it yet. question here. if i hook up everything without using vagcom to change the bit/byte, what does that mean?