GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amber Singals

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
It just means that you'll have amber running lights. Other then that, everything should function the same.

alanchicken

的士佬
It just means that you'll have amber running lights. Other then that, everything should function the same.

does that mean the amber light will blink when i turn on the signal?

if i connect/disconnect the metal, the lights should just follow the way the metal flows. y vagcom is needed? just curious to know. thanks!

hobbes

Ready to race!
Because normally, when you turn your headlights on, both the inner and outer circles light up partially. So when you do this mod without the vag-com changes, it will also light up your amber signals partially as well. The vag-com change tells the car to not light up the "signal path" when you turn your headlights on.

alanchicken

的士佬
got what u mean.

in this case, can i just disconnect the brake light from the signal path and only the connect the amber light to the signal path? which path is which?

hobbes

Ready to race!
That won't work. There's three wires: ground, brake, and blinker. When you do this mod, you're basically merging the two bulbs into turning on only when you brake and the blinker signal is rerouted to the bulb that is added.

Stock configuration when your headlights are on is to partially turn on the brake and blinker bulbs. So you need to have a vag-com in order to get this mod to work correctly, otherwise you'll have amber lights always lit whenever you turn your headlights on.

alanchicken

的士佬
i'm planning in doing this mod this weekend. if i don't have access to vagcom, will the amber light bulb blink as well (in other words, both outer circle and amber light blink together when i turn on the signal, and both light up when i step on brake)?

i'm still a little confused. if the outer brake light also works as blinker, can't we just disconnect the blinker metal from the outer brake light and connect it only to the added amber bulb?

another question which is a little bit off topic. if i choose to use this amber light as blinker, can i still somehow go for rear fog light?

thanks again!

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
i'm planning in doing this mod this weekend. if i don't have access to vagcom, will the amber light bulb blink as well (in other words, both outer circle and amber light blink together when i turn on the signal, and both light up when i step on brake)?

i'm still a little confused. if the outer brake light also works as blinker, can't we just disconnect the blinker metal from the outer brake light and connect it only to the added amber bulb?

another question which is a little bit off topic. if i choose to use this amber light as blinker, can i still somehow go for rear fog light?

thanks again!

If you do the mod, and no vag-com, the blinker is going to work just fine when your headlights are off (or DRL) When you turn the headlights on, everything (inner, outer halfs and blinker) is going to turn on dimm. The inner and outter halfs are going to work as brake and the blinker as a blinker, but the idea behind vag-com is to have the amber light go on only whe the turning signal is on, and not to go on dimm when you turn on your headlights. As for the rear fog light, thats a separated tail light, the one that attaches to the hatch.

I don't know if I told you guys this, but when I was doing this mod, I thought I screwed up the left bulb holder, so I went ahead and ordered a new one from the dealer (it costed me $30) I went to pick it up today, and when I opened up the box, surprice surprice, it already comes with the bulb holder for the turning signal :iono: Bu9t if I was to install this instead of the one I modified, I would have to modify my harness since the 4th connector (used for the blinker) has no wire in it. But well, mine is working great

alanchicken

的士佬
got it! basically is to change the blinker light from the outer circle to the newly added amber light. i wonder if i only change the byte/bit to 00 in my current stock setup, the outer circle will only be on when i turn the signal.

btw, do u mean the circle on the trunk door is the rear fog light? i would love to connect the brake light function to that circle. that would be perfect setup. i don't know y they have that circle there but with no light. what's the point?

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
got it! basically is to change the blinker light from the outer circle to the newly added amber light. i wonder if i only change the byte/bit to 00 in my current stock setup, the outer circle will only be on when i turn the signal.

btw, do u mean the circle on the trunk door is the rear fog light? i would love to connect the brake light function to that circle. that would be perfect setup. i don't know y they have that circle there but with no light. what's the point?

only the inner round lens is the rear fog, the two halfs don't do anything. But like you said, it would look awesome if we could have two circles lighting up as brake lights.

alanchicken

的士佬
inner round lens? do u mean the inner circles that surrounds the reverse lights?

btw, what kinda amber light bulbs should i use? i tried to find it today, but there r sooooo many kinds. besides, i can't find any bulb holder in toronto that fits this purpose. one more thing, can i use LED for the signal?

Last edited:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI

Zanxrex

New, yet old
Car(s)
2006 MK5 GTI
I actually was able to make real amber signals with an amber lense...check it out

That appears to be an OEM US clear lens with an amber color filter, or gel, inserted from the bulb side of the housing. In other words, someone stuck a plastic transparent piece colored amber and secured to the inner portion of the clear lens.