GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat Replacement

evanwellens

I'm keep getting P0420 & check engine light coming on every other few weeks. Shop knocked on the exhaust system and said the cat is going. Car has 150K so I guess that's possible ( besides I ran chipped for the last 8 years ) . Anyway I see expensive and inexpensive cats on the market like https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p...AR2pCmmtA0qcrU6p3M79Ci3QZcIpD4Ml4waAgls8P8HAQ. Is there a reason why I should OEM ? Not sure how many years the car has left in her and don't want to throw away $$.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Be careful taking emissions advice from folks that don't live in your state. New York adopted the California standards which are tougher than the federal standards used by other states. Best to do your homework about how emissions standards are handled in your state.

In California, when a proper visual of the emissions system is done they would look for a stock downpipe with proper VW MFR ID #. In California and altered or an aftermarket downpipe should not pass. So welding in an aftermarket cat would not pass in California assuming a proper inspection is done. Of course there will be plenty of folks with tales that they passed with an aftermarket product in place but that is generally because inspector chose to ignore it or ? but it shouldn't pass based on the regs. As for New York, no idea what the inspections are like but the standards are the same as my state.