GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Sorry to thread jack, perhaps we can create a new one about adding additional menus or sending info to the MFD. But for now, I have been playing around with the CANUSB cable and I have found out some interesting information.

I was able to register with the MFD/Radio ring mentioned in one of the German forums. But I have been so far unable to create a menu, I am having difficulty getting the VB program to reply in time and with the correct index :(

The ring on the infotainment bus is 42B-439, on the convenience bus it appears on 400-430.

I'll keep playing around with it.

On another note,

When you are on the audio page a properly formed message to from ID 680 will display text in the middle section. 681 will reply back with a confirmation.

I suspect the top section of the MFD is controlled by 688, and an acknowledgement will be sent from 689.

Oh and:

:)

Last edited:

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
You can just take this one over and keep all the info in the same place.

If you happen to find the message that tells when the page changes / what the current page is I would like to know. I want to get that into the button firmware.

I have not tried "talking" with the current setup but the hardware supports it just need to make some firmware to make it work.

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
With my progress so far the MFD would send that message on 685 as I am using 684 to create the menu.

To tell when you are on the audio page you would look for a message on 680 3 bytes long
Byte 1: 1? where ? is the index of the message, more or less a counter,
Byte 2: 2A This indicates that the menu has been selected
Byte 3: 00
Example: 681 3 19 2A 00

In my case above I would see for example: 685 3 13 2A 00

In the case of the audio page the radio then sends the information to display.

So far I don't have this confirmed yet as I haven't been able to create the menu (one mistake and it seems like you need to start over) you need to first register with the ring of modules.

Once that is completed you send an intent to create a menu, then the menu name, and the options inside that menu.

The MFD sends keep-alive messages every few 100ms, which your module needs to reply to.

The MFD sends the above A2 command to indicate when the menu is selected.

I haven't been much further than this, its been too cold out to play around in the car too much.

-Cad

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
It's been back and forth here, but once the sun goes down I'd have to keep the car running to stay warm and I'd rather not :)

-Cad

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Botched C6 as well, put it through the pins 1 and 2 on U4. Didn't notice that one until I went to install U4. Real bear as I can't seem to locate my solder wick anywhere.

Despite that, I wholeheartedly agree: silk isn't worth $20.

Assembly complete:

Testing probably will have to wait a few days, maybe longer.

Any tips/thoughts on connector for the 4-pin to the car? Looks like you have a pretty spiffy connector there.

Got my cheapo USB <-> serial adapter today too.

My compliments on the layout; very compact!

wireb

I like the molex mini-fit (what is on the picture) or the micro fit 3.0 series.

They have positive locking on the housing and snap together well.

Down side they are a pain to put on without the crimper. (I use the one at work)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=WM3701-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=WM3601-ND

and you will need male and female pins
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2010/P0219.pdf

note the male pins go in the female connector and vice verse.

In reality any small signal connector will work just fine. Keep the lengths of the two can bus wires equal. Else you may get some errors and false starts on the bus. (I used twisted pair on mine)

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Ok, got mine built. Now I have no idea what to do from here.

I know where the wires go, ie 12v, ground, can h, can l.

I just don't know how to test any of this to make sure I did everything right. Never used perl in my life and I'm a dunce when it comes to programming. What do I do now?

I'm assuming I first need to test this to make sure I'm getting the CAN dumps correct?

Then I need to figure out how to turn those can messages into something I can use in Centrafuse right?

Need some guidance...

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
So it just occurred to me that I should probably get my intermittent sat radio issues resolved (by the dealer, on his dime, under warranty) before I go hacking things up. For all I know the issue is with the CAN bus connection at the sat receiver.

Will likely be a while before I'm able to experiment much with this...

wireb

If you look in the assembly instructions I have a quick checkout guide you can run though to make sure things are working before you install it in the car.

If your running "button" firmware you should be able to just start hyper terminal "minicom for linux folks" and set it up 115.2kbs, 8n1, NO flow control. Once it is up and running start pressing buttons on the steering wheel and you should see messages like "BU4" start popping up on the screen. That's it no need to know anything else about the can bus. When you see BU1 show up you know the volume up button was pressed. When you see BU0 show up after it you know they released the button.

As for how to Centrafuse I am not much help since I have not used it ever. Best bet is to ask in the Centrafuse forums if there are any plugins that take commands from the serial port and use them as control input. I can adapt the firmware as needed to conform to someone else's plugin as long as I have documentation on what they are expecting.

wireb

So it just occurred to me that I should probably get my intermittent sat radio issues resolved (by the dealer, on his dime, under warranty) before I go hacking things up. For all I know the issue is with the CAN bus connection at the sat receiver.

Will likely be a while before I'm able to experiment much with this...

Yea I would definitely do that first. Seems to be a large rash of the sat tuners dying. If by any chance they replace it and let you have the old part let me know. Just looking for the connectors off it.