GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
Ok got replies back from 4 out of 5. Golf is in the UK so I hope to hear back from him tonight. If all goes well orders should go out tomorrow.

wireb

dbduke the first order is full for raw cards. I want to verify them before I order any more. Cadbury also is interested in a set but missed the first round. Once I get the first set in and verified I am willing to do another order if we can find another 6 takers.

I have not heard back from golfcrazy yet but I will place the orders today since we have 2 backups already. Golf gets first crack since he signed up first. If I don't hear back from him by the time parts are in you two are next in line.

wireb

Digikey order is submitted.

V1.2 of the PCB is finished (Leds were backwards + changed to polar caps for the 1ufs)
Tried to order raw cards and something is getting blocked here at work. will try and order again from the hotel tonight.

Karjan

Ready to race!
Chuck me down for the next order, my CarPC is 90% done. This will be the iceing on the cake!

Awsome work wireb !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wireb

People interested in order #2 so far (3 of 6)
dbduke
Cadbury
Karjan

And some status.
I made it back to MN so will be trying all the new code out hopefully today. (will not be able to verify the LEDs until the new cards arrive but not a big deal)
Parts are in and I will start kitting things up.
Got a Email that the raw cards shipped and should arrive on Monday.

Monday / Tuesday nights for me are booked but I will trying and get some work done on it. Wednesdays are open for sure so I should have the checkout done by then for sure.

Golfdubcrazy

Hi sorry for the delay yep I'm ok with all prices and what you mean by zip :p

sorry looking at this thread on
my iPhone and was stuck on age 8 till today lol I was wondering why no one was posting anything else

wireb

Raw cards are in and I had time to play with it tonight.

So far I have found one screw up on my part. 2 pins on the oscillator were swapped.
Good news if you install it on the backside of the card it works great :)

So far I know the micro out to the RS232 port works. I am 1 pin short for the matting connector I put in my harness so could not test out the CAN bus end yet. But the fact the micro is getting though the reset code I am 90% sure the MCP2515 is there and alive.

On the firmware front I have the button only code 90% checked out. I just need to go and update the remote firmware download program to use a new command I added to shut off the MCP2515 scan loop. Once I verify that I am ready to call that code done. (well at least until we figure out how to tell which page is on the MFD)

Not much has happened on the dump code. Will not take me long just need to run though it and clean up a few things then it will be ready to go.

Here is some PCB prn to tide you guys over (these will be part of the construction instructions. Short version displayed here) There will be a rev 1.3 raw card with the oscillator fixed for future orders.

1.) Raw cards as delivered and cut

2.) install the resistors (note side of raw card with text is the solder side)

3.) install the 0.1uF caps

4.) install the 1uF caps (square pad is + if you use polar caps)

5.) install the 10uF caps (square pad is + these caps ARE polar)

6.) install the 3 leds (the square pad is the cathode [-, flat side, short leg])

7.) install the DIP socket and 9 pin connector (notched end of the socket to the end with a square pad)

8.) install the ICs and Oscillator (square pad is pin 1. Note this is before I found the bug so does not apply to 1.2 cards see below)

9.) Install the voltage regulator as shown. Bend the legs 90deg and insert till the face of the regulator rests on the top of the MCP2551 (U3).

10.) here is the "fixed" 1.2 card with the osc on the back side

Going to call it a night. Tomorrow I have a few hours free and hope to get it plugged into the car and finish verifying the Can bus and update code.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Looks good man. I'll have to go grab a new solder tip or perhaps do this at work with our solder iron there. My tip is not small enough for the amount/size of that soldering. Seems straight forward enough though, looking forward to getting this rolling.

wireb

Another side note. I found some 35mm heat shrink tubing looks to be the right size to slip over the card and shrink down (package claims 2:1 shrink) the 25mm tube was too small.

I think I got it at harbor freight store a while back. Looking on their website it is no longer listed. :/ may have to send my dad over there and see if they have any more on the shelf. (nearest store is 4 hours away from me or down the street from my dad :)

It is Item # 98666 black 1-3/8" nonslip heat shrink tube if anyone else is near a harbor freight and wants to look. I think I found it back in the electrical isle next to the other heat shrink stuff.

If you can't find any and want a piece just let me know when you order and add a buck or so. (no idea how much I paid for this originally.)