GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Nice...

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I installed these a few months ago as parking lights. I can post some pictures later on when it's a bit darker here in sweden :)

25$ each pair.

Seriously, you can buy a pair of Brex bulbs in Sweden for less than 200 SEK?

If so, where in Sweden can you find them?
Couple of buddies from Linköping are visiting in two weeks,
might have them pick up a set for my city lights :biggrin:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
JetTurbo, so for regular LEDs for city lights/rear license plate frame without... resistors are required?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
JetTurbo, so for regular LEDs for city lights/rear license plate frame without... resistors are required?

Very possibly - it depends on the bulb.
Some of the newer high intensity LEDs may draw enough to keep the sensor happy, but usually not.
And the ones that do draw enough are too bright in my opinion.
I added a resistor for the number plate lights so I could use a lower output bulb
(still slightly brighter than stock, but not crazy bright).

The Brex are different, they have resistive load built in.

The city lights can accept any proper sized LED without problems as long as you leave regular incandescent bulbs in the front side marker lights. The city light and side marker light share one sensor for each corner. Only one good bulb is needed to satisfy each sensor and the side marker can provide that while the LED is in use in the city lights. If you wanted to put LEDs in both the city lights and the front side marker, then you would need a resistor on each corner to keep their sensor satisfied.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Thanks for all the helpful info :thumbup:. Hmm, I removed my sidemarker bulbs though :frown:... I was hoping to just run LEDs for parking lights.

riggley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI -08
Seriously, you can buy a pair of Brex bulbs in Sweden for less than 200 SEK?

If so, where in Sweden can you find them?
Couple of buddies from Linköping are visiting in two weeks,
might have them pick up a set for my city lights :biggrin:

Nice! Here they are. First one is for the parking lights. The second is for license plate I guess :)
It wasn't the same manufacturer though. These are from Maxlux.

http://www.xenonkungen.com/en/art/w5w-canbus-led-2xsmd.php
25,40$

http://www.xenonkungen.com/en/art/36mm-canbus-festoon-12xsmd.php
16,30$

I guess they're shipping to US as well since the price can be seen in USD. They are located in Kungsbacka, about 300 km from Linköping. If they order it on the website they'll have it a couple of days.

Last edited:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Jetta MkV?

Sorry don't mean to thread jack as well, but anyone know if LEDs reverse bulbs work without resistors as well?

Last edited:

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
backup light LED?

Jetta MkV?

Sorry don't mean to thread jack as well, but anyone know if LEDs reverse bulbs work without resistors as well?

Some do, some do not. :biggrin:

When I went to euro LED tails, I was reduced to one backup light (and a rear fog light).
Was looking for ways to upgrade the brightness of the one backup light.

I tried a 3 Watt Luxeon 1156 15mm Bayonet Base bulb - white - pn 1156-WLX3 from superbrightleds.com in the backup light.
:thumbdown:
Description on the superbrightleds.com order page of the web site is 1156-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulb, the lower x is replaced by the color designator.

click on image for tech spec - 1156-xLX3 is 1st on the list

The 3W Luxeon did require a resistor to avoid lamp out.
I put in the resistor with a switch so I could add / remove the load quickly and without disassembly again.

BTW The polarity of the socket was incorrect for the LED, so it did not work when I installed it.
I used a pin removal tool and swapped the pins to correct the polarity issue.
I have read others cut off the locking mechanism so they could flip the connector in its socket.
Dumb move in my opinion - to each his own. :eyebulge:

Switch - Load - Splice

But that was a waste of my time, the LED was so much dimmer than stock - I removed it.
The problem is the LED does not make use of the reflector in the fixture very well.

I have read the 5W Luxeon, which was not available when I bought mine, will work without a resistor.

Before the 5W was released, I tried a 50W halogen incandescent bulb.
Only slightly brighter than stock, but much better than the LEDs I tried.
(And a heck of a lot less expensive).

autolumination.com - Bayonet Item# 50 Watt Color: Super White Lens: 1156 $3.99 USD (+3.50 shipping)
:w00t:

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
I installed these a few months ago as parking lights. I can post some pictures later on when it's a bit darker here in sweden :)

25$ each pair.

hey buddy can u post some pics?
esp of ur license plate bulbs - i'm interested in getting these.
if they are white led and work in the license plate then i'll get them. cheap for $25! thanks :thumbsup:

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Nice! Here they are. First one is for the parking lights. The second is for license plate I guess :)
It wasn't the same manufacturer though. These are from Maxlux.

Well since they are not Brex, that would expalin the severe price difference.:wink:

http://www.xenonkungen.com/en/art/w5w-canbus-led-2xsmd.php
25,40$

http://www.xenonkungen.com/en/art/36mm-canbus-festoon-12xsmd.php
16,30$

I guess they're shipping to US as well since the price can be seen in USD. They are located in Kungsbacka, about 300 km from Linköping. If they order it on the website they'll have it a couple of days.

The site you linked to specifically states We ship only within Europe!

...I can post some pictures later on when it's a bit darker here in sweden :)

As I recall, that would be about late August - right? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Coming from a more southern latitude, when visiting Svierge, I always found the white nights this time of year to be quite exhilarating. :w00t:

riggley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI -08
Well since they are not Brex, that would expalin the severe price difference.:wink:

The site you linked to specifically states We ship only within Europe!

As I recall, that would be about late August - right? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Coming from a more southern latitude, when visiting Svierge, I always found the white nights this time of year to be quite exhilarating. :w00t:

I can't really say the difference between Brex and Maxlux, but the ones I have looks really cool. I haven't been able to take pictures yet. And yeah, I have to wait until at least 11.30 PM before it get dark ;) At the very north of Sweden, it never gets dark this time of year :)

Too bad they didn't ship to the states :|

funky_chilli, I haven't used them for the license plate, only as parking light.